Discussion for Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back [US] / Driver 2: Back on the Streets [EU] (2000)
By PlayPrey

Click here to download the latest version.

This is a project I have been working on in the year 2020, a game inspired quite heavily one might say on a classic we all know.
I kept this project a secret until it had enough content to be somewhat playable- and finally I feel ready to share it with you.
I hope the project is welcomed, and you can be sure that future updates will be based of feedback as much as possible.

Must admit, I am nervous when posting this thread- because I don't want to disappoint.

Download Links: [Download 0.2.0] | [No older versions archived]

Incase video below doesn't work you can click here. [Link to Trailer]
If anything happens which results in me not being able to continue, source code will be published if requested.

Features available now:
- 4 Cities available in free roam. (Chicago, Havana, Vegas & Rio).
- A few driving games out of many planned.
- A few undercover missions.
- Traffic, although they currently can act somewhat unpredictable at the moment.
- Damage system
- Police AI, not so smart yet but give them enough practice and it should be fine.
- 27 drivable vehicles, with more to come.
- Reverb in tunnels, for those who likes that.
- Some dynamic objects in cities, for example the bridges in Chicago.
- Very few destructible objects, so few in fact- that if you see a box,- don't trust it.
- Split Screen support, although only for the 3 first cities in Cops 'n' Robbers mode.
- During testing, a stable 144 fps was maintained at all times. V-sync is on.
- Police Radio, far from perfect, but they will talk!
- You can switch cars by clicking on them with the cursor. This however requires you to be close, and be stopped.

Planned features
- Finishing the undercover missions.
- Repair the city meshes, so there won't be holes in random places.
- Add the rest of the vehicles.
- Online Mode
- More settings
- Finishing the driving games, and add the custom ones.
- Finishing split screen support.
- Add support for custom music, and possibly other things.
- Add civilians who walk.
- Add secrets.
- Add content based of user feedback.
- Expand the worlds.
- Adding a tunnel that connects all the cities.
- More, but I can't share it all... Wouldn't that ruin some of the fun?

There is also definitely some bugs to be squashed.
- Most cars lean into the turn instead of out.
- The cities mesh is broken, some in Chicago and Havana has been repaired- but there is a lot left.
- When doing missions where you chase someone else, and you crash into them you might experience vehicles combining.
- Some cars have incorrect UV mapping when damaged.
- The traffic AI might crash into themselves, or walls.
- The main menu only works with the mouse, no controller input supported yet.
- If you have a controller plugged in when ingame, the keyboard will no longer be able to drive the car.
- When playing Stop the Truck- and you stop the truck, a bomb might detonate the truck.
- Many menu items either lead you to free roam or don't do anything at all- if that's the case it means the option you wanted isn't available yet. [Fixed 16.10: Buttons that don't do anything is instead greyed out]
- When pressing continue on some missions, you might fall into free roam- that's because the next mission isn't ready.[Fixed 16.10: Missions that aren't ready are greyed out.]
- In many places there isn't any traffic at all.
- Vegas and Rio is missing most of it's textures. Replaced with white for now.
- Some cars when spawned either fall down to the ground- or bounce up.
- Traffic can spawn visible to the player.
- The camera can freak out if you get into an awkward situation.
- Some missions won't finish, however this should be fixed before the public release. [Fixed 15:10: Added finish triggers to the missions that didn't have one.]
- Highscore system is completely missing! Where did it go...
- Some cars have incorrect sounds to them, just imagine for now that they got an engine swap.
- If you play for a long time, the audio might start acting up. I experienced it only in Havana though and during stress tests.
- You can't exit the cars, that's either because the door is locked or because I haven't animated the player yet.
- The bigger the vehicle, the faster it goes!
- The volume of stuff around you might get louder than your own car.
- SFX Volume slider is defective, however the music slider works though.
- Night time in Vegas and Rio is completely missing, and Havana is a little dark.

The list is quite big, but that just means there's stuff to do!
From testing experiences, there has never been a crash to desktop when playing.

Credits (Terribly sorry for those that is not here, I forgot to take note of names, I will add when I find them again.)
- I got the city and car meshes from Wakka387 over at the GTA Forums.
- ePSXe for the emulator I used during audio recordings & general testing.
- Many members from this forum, YouTube & Discord for keeping my interest in this project up.
(Purely because I have seen so many still having interest in the older games.)

Technical info for those who are interested
- The vehicle physics are based out of Randomation Vehicle Physics 2.0
- It's built in Unity 2020.1.8f1 Personal
- Vehicle audio was manually recorded from the base game.
- Online is planned, however API is not yet decided,- I have some experience with Mirror so I might just use that.
- In split screen, the game gives player 1 the first controller detected, player 2 the second- etc..
- Press F10 to load all 4 cities at once when your ingame. Cause the game to freeze, and then act weirdly. That's because it also loads all the scripts 4 times on top of each other.
- Download size is about 150mb compressed, 450mb when uncompressed.
- I tried playing the game in 10000x10000 resolution, only then did my FPS drop to 40-60. GPU was at 100% at that time.
- Game is developed and tested on following specifications:
Intel Core i7 8700K
32GB DDR4 2333mhz
MSI RTX 2080
- The game has been played a tiny bit on work laptops, which are average in specifications, and game ran smooth on their native resolution.
- I am a lone developer, I have never worked in a team so I am unsure how I would do in teams.
By branney
Amazing job so far from the video! Thanks for all your work :) I wanted to give feedback on 2 related things which I noticed, which i think are off. What I loved in the original games was the realistic weight transfer. In the video above, especially at 3:10, the car tilts in the direction of turning (ie. To the right). I thought maybe the road had some camber which I could not see in the video, so I went back and rewatched the whole video, and it does seem that cars are always tilting in the same direction that they are turning. In real life, a car which is turning right would tilt to the left, even more so for these classic cars with the soft suspension. I love cars and I love physics, so these details were what immersed me so much in the world of driver.

I also opened a thread on a similar topic, about when the cars change gear. I loved how in the original, as the car accelerated, the weight transferred to the rear of the car. Then, at it changed up from 1st to 2nd gear, there was a moment where the weight went forward for just an instant, then came back to the rear again as the power started to transfer through the drivetrain to the rear wheels again.

If you do have time to work on these aspects (I know you will have a huge list, and also deserve a break already!), i certainly would love to be involved, and can give you more details. I'd be happy to test the original games and compare against yours, to get it right. And I can advise from a simulated point of view, or from a canned effect, depending on your physics engine :)
PlayPrey liked this
By PlayPrey
What I loved in the original games was the realistic weight transfer. In the video above, especially at 3:10, the car tilts in the direction of turning (ie. To the right).
That is something I loved as well, so while I can't promise it will ever be perfect, I can promise I will do my best at making the weight transfer feel good. It is indeed inverted on some vehicles in the current release, but that is also being worked on.
I also opened a thread on a similar topic, about when the cars change gear. I loved how in the original, as the car accelerated, the weight transferred to the rear of the car. Then, at it changed up from 1st to 2nd gear, there was a moment where the weight went forward for just an instant, then came back to the rear again as the power started to transfer through the drivetrain to the rear wheels again.
That is also something I want to get right, right now it's a bit... stiff... (You can however see it with a good eye if you look closely that it currently does exist.)
If you do have time to work on these aspects (I know you will have a huge list, and also deserve a break already!), i certainly would love to be involved, and can give you more details. I'd be happy to test the original games and compare against yours, to get it right. And I can advise from a simulated point of view, or from a canned effect, depending on your physics engine :)
Thanks! :) There is indeed a lot of stuff to do,- however with user feedback I think I'll know better what needs to be prioritized. While this is in a way it's own game, I do want players to feel at home if that makes sense- so by that I would love advise from in forms of what you think fits best.
Downloaded it here, about to test, excited to see someone is on the work remaking the game. I have some experience in Unity, so give me a call if you want.

One idea: that shift ability on D:SF as some sort of easter egg or cheat, that would be cool
Played around a little and, oh man, that's insane! I would point some things I really missed, like the feel of driving in the original game (like in The Driver Syndicate), like when you handbrake you lose total control of the car and all these things, you know (I'm trying to reach that level of car physics in my game but so far no luck) and patch up some gaps in the map (i had the same problem when tried to port Chicago to my project as well) but I'm sure as hell everything will be there and fixed in the future, trust you!

Tried to play in rainy Rio, but the fps was literally at 1, so no way i could mess around, but on the other settings everything ran fine (106 fps when i checked) and about the graphics, you should try to focus on something high-quality and the classic look as an option, just a suggestion tho. Even if you're staying with the actual graphics, I recommend you to put on some SRP to patch up some graphical bugs like in the shadows and all;

Anyway, nice project, looking forward for its future, and man, don't give up on it. Oh and, open up that damm Havana secret area!

Some things i pointed up there was already on your post, sorry for that! :specialdriver:
By branney
Thanks. After posting I looked at Randomation. It seems they had issues with max revs vs to speed, and gear ratio optimisation. We certainly have lots of stats available for cars these days, but if this issue carries forward in to your game, it will mean we have to compromise. Once we know how long the gear change should take (can this be altered?), the amount of 'pitch' forward and backwards will only depend on the acceleration, which itself will depend somewhat if we have accurate gear ratios. [edit] (for a fixed spring stiffness based on the vehicle, that is) [/edit] The acceleration would also depend on user throttle input, of course, so hopefully this weight transfer can be simulated, otherwise we need to program canned effect based on the input at the time the gear change is initiated, however due to the slowish gear changes I assume these older cars may have had (based on what I remember from the driver games, although I have not checked if in real life this is accurate!) the user throttle input may change during the gear change, which would result in breaking of immersion if we use a canned effect.
I may have some time soon to learn the tools and assist on small things, maybe just some script editing and tweaking for vehicles. Is the stuff I have talked about so far all in Randomation, and is this c#? Or do I need to learn unity?
By PlayPrey
I would point some things I really missed, like the feel of driving in the original game (like in The Driver Syndicate), like when you handbrake you lose total control of the car and all these things
Thanks a lot for testing it, I can assure you I am not happy with the current physics myself- I am tweaking it every single day trying to learn the physics API and how to use it to the best of it's abilities. :)
Tried to play in rainy Rio, but the fps was literally at 1, so no way i could mess around
Whoops, sorry about that- Rio was the least tested city in this build. I'll look into it, I want rain to work without any framedrop. (At least to a minimal degree, might be a few frames once I get the city to look wet when raining. :shock: )
You should try to focus on something high-quality and the classic look as an option, just a suggestion tho.
I do agree, I do want that as an option,- would make it a lot more interesting and unique. It might happen ;)
Anyway, nice project, looking forward for its future, and man, don't give up on it. Oh and, open up that damm Havana secret area!
Thanks a lot! Not giving up just yet ;) The city rip I've got had the entire secret area in Havana missing.. I'm trying to find a way to get it back.

Some things i pointed up there was already on your post, sorry for that! :specialdriver:
Don't you worry! The post was written past midnight and it quite a mess! :lol:
Alexizand3r liked this
By PlayPrey
Once we know how long the gear change should take (can this be altered?)
It can, however it seems the car goes into neutral when shifting- so if the shift delay is too high and the player has the accel input going the engine will rev up during every shift. I think I've found a sweet spot with a "slow" shift and no random revs. Far from perfect.
so hopefully this weight transfer can be simulated
Randomation actually already has this in, in 0.2.0 I've had incorrect center of mass settings and such which really ruined this effect. I've fixed this so some weight transfer simulation is happening, but still quite a way to go to make it good.

Is the stuff I have talked about so far all in Randomation, and is this c#? Or do I need to learn unity?
Almost everything is in Randomation, but not perfect. (Randomation was meant to be an arcade styled api). It's open source and fully C# though. :) I do think you need to know the very basics of Unity. 8) Thanks a lot for the offer, I don't mind help. :)
No Abilities Mod

kt2gC2QC-FM Abilities (Boost and Ram) are disab[…]

Once we know how long the gear change should take[…]

http://snag.gy/u00kP.jpg http://snag.gy/gASgG.[…]

Gear changes

First found your project this evening. I hope the […]