Click here to download the latest version.
This is a project I have been working on in the year 2020, a game inspired quite heavily one might say on a classic we all know.
I kept this project a secret until it had enough content to be somewhat playable- and finally I feel ready to share it with you.
I hope the project is welcomed, and you can be sure that future updates will be based of feedback as much as possible.
Must admit, I am nervous when posting this thread- because I don't want to disappoint.
Download Links: [Download 0.2.0] | [No older versions archived]
Incase video below doesn't work you can click here. [Link to Trailer]
Features available now:
- 4 Cities available in free roam. (Chicago, Havana, Vegas & Rio).
- A few driving games out of many planned.
- A few undercover missions.
- Traffic, although they currently can act somewhat unpredictable at the moment.
- Damage system
- Police AI, not so smart yet but give them enough practice and it should be fine.
- 27 drivable vehicles, with more to come.
- Reverb in tunnels, for those who likes that.
- Some dynamic objects in cities, for example the bridges in Chicago.
- Very few destructible objects, so few in fact- that if you see a box,- don't trust it.
- Split Screen support, although only for the 3 first cities in Cops 'n' Robbers mode.
- During testing, a stable 144 fps was maintained at all times. V-sync is on.
- Police Radio, far from perfect, but they will talk!
- You can switch cars by clicking on them with the cursor. This however requires you to be close, and be stopped.
- Finishing the undercover missions.
- Repair the city meshes, so there won't be holes in random places.
- Add the rest of the vehicles.
- Online Mode
- More settings
- Finishing the driving games, and add the custom ones.
- Finishing split screen support.
- Add support for custom music, and possibly other things.
- Add civilians who walk.
- Add secrets.
- Add content based of user feedback.
- Expand the worlds.
- Adding a tunnel that connects all the cities.
- More, but I can't share it all... Wouldn't that ruin some of the fun?
There is also definitely some bugs to be squashed.
- Most cars lean into the turn instead of out.
- The cities mesh is broken, some in Chicago and Havana has been repaired- but there is a lot left.
- When doing missions where you chase someone else, and you crash into them you might experience vehicles combining.
- Some cars have incorrect UV mapping when damaged.
- The traffic AI might crash into themselves, or walls.
- The main menu only works with the mouse, no controller input supported yet.
- If you have a controller plugged in when ingame, the keyboard will no longer be able to drive the car.
- When playing Stop the Truck- and you stop the truck, a bomb might detonate the truck.
- Many menu items either lead you to free roam or don't do anything at all- if that's the case it means the option you wanted isn't available yet. [Fixed 16.10: Buttons that don't do anything is instead greyed out]
- When pressing continue on some missions, you might fall into free roam- that's because the next mission isn't ready.[Fixed 16.10: Missions that aren't ready are greyed out.]
- In many places there isn't any traffic at all.
- Vegas and Rio is missing most of it's textures. Replaced with white for now.
- Some cars when spawned either fall down to the ground- or bounce up.
- Traffic can spawn visible to the player.
- The camera can freak out if you get into an awkward situation.
- Some missions won't finish, however this should be fixed before the public release. [Fixed 15:10: Added finish triggers to the missions that didn't have one.]
- Highscore system is completely missing! Where did it go...
- Some cars have incorrect sounds to them, just imagine for now that they got an engine swap.
- If you play for a long time, the audio might start acting up. I experienced it only in Havana though and during stress tests.
- You can't exit the cars, that's either because the door is locked or because I haven't animated the player yet.
- The bigger the vehicle, the faster it goes!
- The volume of stuff around you might get louder than your own car.
- SFX Volume slider is defective, however the music slider works though.
- Night time in Vegas and Rio is completely missing, and Havana is a little dark.
The list is quite big, but that just means there's stuff to do!
From testing experiences, there has never been a crash to desktop when playing.
Credits (Terribly sorry for those that is not here, I forgot to take note of names, I will add when I find them again.)
- I got the city and car meshes from Wakka387 over at the GTA Forums.
- ePSXe for the emulator I used during audio recordings & general testing.
- Many members from this forum, YouTube & Discord for keeping my interest in this project up.
(Purely because I have seen so many still having interest in the older games.)
Technical info for those who are interested
- The vehicle physics are based out of Randomation Vehicle Physics 2.0
- It's built in Unity 2020.1.8f1 Personal
- Vehicle audio was manually recorded from the base game.
- Online is planned, however API is not yet decided,- I have some experience with Mirror so I might just use that.
- In split screen, the game gives player 1 the first controller detected, player 2 the second- etc..
- Press F10 to load all 4 cities at once when your ingame. Cause the game to freeze, and then act weirdly. That's because it also loads all the scripts 4 times on top of each other.
- Download size is about 150mb compressed, 450mb when uncompressed.
- I tried playing the game in 10000x10000 resolution, only then did my FPS drop to 40-60. GPU was at 100% at that time.
- Game is developed and tested on following specifications:
Intel Core i7 8700K
32GB DDR4 2333mhz
MSI RTX 2080
- The game has been played a tiny bit on work laptops, which are average in specifications, and game ran smooth on their native resolution.
- I am a lone developer, I have never worked in a team so I am unsure how I would do in teams.