Modding discussion for Driver.
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Once again I've been slacking a bit :oops:, but I'm trying to get into a more productive mode. I've been looking at image libraries to use for importing/exporting images and have decided on FreeImage. The next step is to compile the library and then start programming the importing and exporting functions for the DCI.
By someone972
After adding some level functions for textures and palettes, I realized that having a separate function for loading from a file and loading from memory (which I don't really need) was slowing me down when making changes, so I'm going through and fixing the loading/saving functions to use callbacks.
By someone972
I've finished making the level loader use callbacks, and am now working on a texture export dialog. Supported formats for saving will be bmp, png, jpg, gif, tiff, and tga. Each format will have a short options dialog after the user chooses the filename, similar to how Paint.net does it. I'm working on making that options dialog right now.
By Fireboyd78
RacingFreak wrote:Awesome! Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff !!! I love Paint.NET and seeing it kind of integrated here is just AWESOME.

I hope that will get me back into Driver modding after loong break :)
I believe you misread his post, Jeff's basically saying there will be a "Save Options" dialogue. It will be similar to how Paint.NET does it - it is not being integrated into DCI.
By someone972
Wow, more than 20 days have passed already. I wish I could say that a lot has been done, but I went through another motivation loss and also started on building a DIY CNC machine. Some progress has been made however. I have completed the image export dialog for bmp, jpg, png, tiff, and tga, leaving gif as the only one left. I have also begun coding for importing images. Importing to 15-bit textures should probably be about done, but paletted textures will still need some work. I'm also starting on a palette editor that will hopefully make creating new civilian car textures easier. I've got a lot of my motivation back, and put in several hours of work today. Hopefully I will be able to continue this working streak into the coming days and get some real good progress done. I think I will also begin releasing the program more often with smaller changes. It's still not back to the functionality it used to have, but I think releasing more often might help keep my motivation up and also gives you guys something to play around with.
By someone972
Today I added two new view modes for textures, and added a palette list for the paletted ones. Next step is adding/editing/removing palettes. Hopefully when all this is done I wont have to touch much of the texture editing stuff for a while.
By someone972
This is just a quick update. Not too much has been done, but I'll list off some of the the things I can remember. There is now texture deletion (causes issues in the exe that needs a patch, hardcoded stuff again), texture flag editing, adding existing palettes to a texture's palette list, removing palettes from a texture's list, and some other small changes. Still have to make a palette editor and add the ability to move textures.
By someone972
It's been a while, but I've done some work on the program. I updated it to use Qt 5 which should help with model rendering in the future. I've also just pushed an update that greatly improves debug logging in the levels and tolerance to corrupted levels. There's also a few minor bug fixes made. I also put the program on github and changed the project name to Driver Level Editor. I like having the project on github because it makes getting updates out much easier and makes it feel like even small changes are important, so it keeps me more motivated.
I will provide binary releases for major updates. The first binary release might not be for a little bit because I want it to be a working release, which I don't consider the current state of the program to be in. I'll be releasing a compilation guide soon, so that will be one way to get the newest version.
I have released a build of the Driver Level Editor on the old DCI Google code page. http://code.google.com/p/driver-car-imp ... loads/list You will need both DLE_Current_RX.7z and DLE_Dependencies.7z in order to run it. These are debug builds, so be warned that the dependencies will take up about 300 MB of space uncompressed and the executable will take up about 20 MB. Please let me know about any parts that are broken or missing so that I can add them, preferably in this thread. Building from source will still be the best way to get the most up to date executable.
Uploaded a new release (R3). This release:
-Opens window in a sane position on multi-monitor setups
-Has new level loading dialog that will come up if a file fails to load (such as player cosmetics) and allows you to continue on to the editor anyway instead of bailing on the first file that fails.
-Automatically jumps to the texture viewer when level successfully loads.

Keep the bug reports and feature requests coming!

EDIT: RacingFreak: I opened the frisco level you sent me and it didn't say it was corrupt over here, so either I fixed the bug that was causing that or you sent me a working level.

EDIT2: Fun fact: If you create a 'settings' folder inside the DLE directory, the program will store settings there instead of in your App Data folder.
I've released another minor update (R4). Here's what's new:
  • Fixed bug where loading the level did not refresh the selected texture definition.
  • Fixed bug where viewing the textures before loading level did not refresh textures.
  • Fixed highlight around texture not matching up (now uses quads instead of lines).
  • Added keyboard navigation to texture editor. Up/Down/Left/Right moves between textures. Control+Up or Down changes texture size, as well as Control+mouse wheel. Control+Left or Right changes current palette (if any).
  • Fixed bug where texture size combo box was not being set upon settings load.
Once again, here's the link to the download page: http://code.google.com/p/driver-car-imp ... loads/list
I've released R5 now, at the usual location. Here are some of the changes:
  • Image exporting now adds extension if none is supplied (can be disabled in settings)
  • Vertex patch dialogs now use proper native separators (no more "C:\blah/wrongway.exe")
  • Model list now has selectable columns and a drag-able divider. Right click on the header to select columns to view. Also supports sorting.
  • Event models now render.
  • A few other bugfixes
Don't forget to back up your data before trying to use the DLE. I haven't thoroughly tested saving levels, so if there are any bugs, let me know. I'm now one step closer to implementing model importing again. Once I get a semi-stable executable with minimal features, I will upload it here.
Great work, absolutely awesome that we have much more control over textures now and their flags. I can't only get the models to render however, on logs:
Code: Select all
ERROR: Failed to open player cosmetics file!
Preparing to load civilian cosmetics D:\Games\GT Interactive\Driver\Levels\Miami_01.cos.
Wheel definition file does not exist, skipping.
WARNING: Could not create fragment shader 1: ERROR: 0:1: '' :  Version number not supported by OGL driver
ERROR: 2:2: 'smooth' : syntax error parse error
WARNING: Could not create fragment shader 2: ERROR: 0:1: '' :  Version number not supported by OGL driver
ERROR: 2:3: 'smooth' : syntax error parse error
WARNING: Could not link shader program 1: Link called without any attached shader objects.
WARNING: Could not bind shader program 1!
WARNING: Could not create vertex shader 2: ERROR: 0:1: '' :  Version number not supported by OGL driver
ERROR: 2:6: 'layout' : syntax error parse error
WARNING: Could not bind shader program (no normal, has texture)!
It's absolutely fresh driver installation with only Vertex Patch installed. Can provide full logs - just ask.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]