General discussion for the DRIVER series.

Which game in your opinion has the most lifelike cities?

Driver
No votes
0%
Driver 2
11%
Driv3r
44%
Driver PL
17%
Driver SF
28%
By Coyote
Hmm, really hard question then. If we would just stand somewhere in one of the cities (in the game), and simply look at them, then I would say that Driver: San Francisco seems to be the most lively. The first reason for that would be that there's much more traffic than in all Driver games, and also much more pedestrians. Also when you look at the pedestrians, they look much more like they have a life, compared to those in other Driver games. They carry bags and eventually let them fall, and they all look much different (in Driver 1 there was like what, 2 pedestrians? :D).

You can also see ships passing by and other objects that move, such as lifts on the outside of buildings for example.

On the other hand, there's stuff in Driver 3 and PL that isn't seen in DSF. For example cops that come when an accident or shootout has occurred.
In Driver 1 you had planes flying over the city, which I found pretty cool.
Then obviously, in all other Driver games you have real traffic lights and such, but I'm not sure if it contributes something to how lively a city appears, I guess this has more to do with realism.

The only real things in the Driver series that make the cities appear more lively are: vehicles, pedestrians, objects. I say objects because in DSF the streets are full of stuff, whereas in other Driver games the streets are a like a desert, the most you will find are probably a light pole and a letter box :D
By Olanov
DSF I'd say. So much more pedestrians and cars driving around it actually looks like a damn big city. Especially with the random animated objects in the bg like ships and other buildings. Though, I would've wanted to see peds doing more stuff than just walking around and sometimes trying to run across the street.

Also, random police chases you can join to either pursue the criminal or escape law enforcement. Pretty cool, could be a bit more rarer though. They seem to love aiming at you when you're cruising down the street. It's like they're trying to do it on purpose.
By Coyote
Yeah if there was real intersections then I would have liked to see the pedestrians crossing the street for example. And I forgot the random chases, that's true. Would have been cool to see the same with fire trucks and ambulances however.

Also some stuff to add to DPL: Random construction "sites" on bridges: sometimes there would be one, with a Dolva standing there and a bunch of sand or whatever it is. And then you also have the real, big construction sites, with people working, etc. That was pretty cool I'd say. Also add trains and trams to Driver 3 and DPL, that's definitely one thing missing in DSF.
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:Also some stuff to add to DPL: Random construction "sites" on bridges: sometimes there would be one, with a Dolva standing there and a bunch of sand or whatever it is. And then you also have the real, big construction sites, with people working, etc. That was pretty cool I'd say. Also add trains and trams to Driver 3 and DPL, that's definitely one thing missing in DSF.
Yeah, I thought those were really cool!

One that I really remember well was a gang fight. Like, you'd be driving down this bridge, heading south-east and you'd come across two gangs having a shoot out off-road. There were 2 cars parked sideways with gang members ducking, taking cover and taking pot shots at eachother. Eventually police would arrive and engage them in a firefight. If they wouldn't be able to neutralize them in time, eventually a S.W.A.T van would pull up and even a helicopter. It was really cool to see how they set it up. I wish there would've been more of those.

Image thumbnail
Image thumbnail
By Coyote
Omg I totally forgot this! That was awesome in fact. The thing that sucked is that once you messed with them, or shot them, they wouldn't reappear again. Same for the construction sites BTW, which resulted in the Dozers disappearing too :P
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:Omg I totally forgot this! That was awesome in fact. The thing that sucked is that once you messed with them, or shot them, they wouldn't reappear again. Same for the construction sites BTW, which resulted in the Dozers disappearing too :P
Yeah. Perhaps an error in code or just a developement oversight - guess we'll never know for sure! Either way, I think they should most definitely bring that idea back and make it even better and dynamic!
By TheEngiGuy
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Driver: Parallel Lines. Lots of stuff going on.

I wouldn't say Driver SF though, there are only cars and pedetrians, and all cars go at the same speed, not that lively at all.
Coyote wrote:
TheEngiGuy wrote:and all cars go at the same speed
In Driver: PL they don’t? :P
Not that I remember...I could've sworn they all traveled different speeds :P
By Coyote
They sometimes do weird stuff such as accelerating, braking, accelerating, braking, not sure why they’re doing this (I think some cars even did this in Driver 3 already) and that makes one car appear faster (which doesn’t do this weird thing), and the other slower :P Must be some kind of bug.

I have the feeling that in DSF during Checkpoint Rush the cars are much faster, almost too fast sometimes. I guess it’s because the highways are so crowded and to make the game easier! Well people still crash a lot :D During traffic jams on the other hand they’re sometimes almost standing!

But obviously it’s not the kind of speed difference we meant, in “normal” traffic all cars drive the same speed, that’s true.

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

Hi. I saw in Helegad's thread about beta stuff in […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4