Modding discussion for Driver: Parallel Lines.
By SparedLife
Registration Days
Sorry don't have enough time to read up on what's going on right now but just following the link provided by madness. Thought I'd post and let you know I'm still active. I will read more in depth in the next few days.

I don't know what tool you are using presently for Driver but I have a generic DDS ripper that should work better than the Driv3r tool

Generic DDS Ripper

Not so much a resource hog.

What I've seen so far looks interesting but I don't have the game and I've not found (haven't really looked) a useable demo yet. I suppose I could right something that would rip specific bites from the resource library for editing and then re-insert, that's all the DDS program does. As far as a model, sound or map manipulator (editor) I don't think so but.

Are there names to the models, maps, textures or sound files?
By JAY
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Yeah, we are using this tool you mentioned. It also works fine with Driver Paralle Lines. The textures, models and sounds are all in compressed archives. See the first post in this topic. There you find the file extensions. We don't know what files are in these archives, but your tool can extract the textures (but nothing more). It would be useful to us, if it could extract all the content of these library files (models or sounds and whatever) so that we know which file formats were used and if we can edit them.

PS: Unfortunately, there is no demo for this game. But the game is cheep and makes fun. :)
By madness
The extensions of the archives don't mean anything, reflections most likely change the extensions that's why we are unable to see the FMV's with blinks extension we can only see it while not searching for an extension.

[hr]

I never worked out a way to extract the sound from an ingame archive however I worked out to play it, I'm not sure if I'm getting the settings correct but it is possible to hear it at certain settings, basically this means that this is an uncompressed archive with no compress or encryption what so ever, so if you want to be able to play these sounds I'll be uploading a program which can do this very soon.

[hr]

Now I've been looking at all the files in the game and I found something which may really help in the modding process, since all this data I found tells us the real original extension of the files before it was compressed and the programs plugins which saved these files as well as some of the file names from the original files, however we may not see these in the achieve because they could have been taken out.

To see more information I made a full post report on this which can be found by clicking here.

[hr]

I'm still working on the experiments thing and I'll be adding the newer experiments soon.
By nobodie902
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
JAY wrote: GTA or MAFIA were a lot more popular so tools for editing were released just a couple of weeks after the release of the game. . I don't think this can be achieved for DPL...
Stupid developers. Ability of modifying a game is actually a key to its popularity. If you can have new content you will play it and play it and play, and dont get so bored as fast, as if you played it not modified. Any game sooner or later becomes boring, thats why new content of it mAkes it live a lot longer. (Usually untill nevest game release). Dont know why developers dont understand that.
By JAY
If you created something good than you are not very happy when other people change your creation. When you buy a game than you just buy the license to use it, not the software itself, not its source-code. So I think that's the reason why most developers don't support modding. But if some people find out how to change certains things in a game they also don't do anything against this because they also know that this will increase the popularity of their game. GTA is the best example. Rockstar doesn't offer any tools for modding nor do they support modders with advice. But they accept the existence of the modding scene.
By madness
We must ask reflections if another developer chat ever exists what they think of the modding community and how far they mind or don't mind us editing their in game files.

Back in the old days when I used to mod games like GTA and things like that I only ever purchased the game because it had a large modding community other than the the game wasn't all that exciting. So it really increases sales and revenue.

The developers of Max Payne really liked the modding scene because they package modding tools on the games cd, and bang... mods galore everywhere for the maxpayne game.

I think mods really made this game popular.
I always stop and wonder what it would be like if it were possible to completely modify driv3r. With the physics engine the game had to offer it would be amazing to build your own ultra realistic cities.
By SparedLife
Registration Days
I have been using a utility for skinning Tomb Raider: Legend for quite some time now. It wasn't until someone at the Marvel site mentioned he was using it on Spiderman 3 that I realized this tool may work on the driver games also.

I tested the tool on Driv3r and Driver 4 with success. If you are interested in checking this tool out for modding the Driver series then look on my site for more information. It's a very nice utility that I find easy to use. It has it's good and bad points but I think you'll like it.
By JAY
Great tool. It makes texture modding a lot more easier. Thanks. :D

No need to extract all the textures or to edit the archive files. Great for experinmenting with the textures. Here an example what I've done today:

By nobodie902
wow, thats interesting
By Sedans
You did good, but may i suggest to add realisim that you put the car unit numers on the trunk like they are in real new york--

IE: (real cop car numbers)

Heres your police car trunk:
|------------------------|
|_______________|

|_______________|

|_______________|

AND SO ON, ITS JUST BIGGER NUMBERS, LOL. I HOPE THIS HELPS. :D

I LIKE YOUR MODS ANYWAY.

EDIT: damn caps, dont worry about that.

Double EDIT: Hold up, lemme edit the trunks, the appear messed up..

TRIPLE EDIT: ok, the dashes represent nothing, but i had to put them in so it appears correct.
By JAY
It's not finished yet. Updates wil be coming soon. :)
By Coyote
Hey wouldn't it be cool if you take the code for one of the cars from Driv3r, and then you export the code in the DPL files… ? So you could driver a car from D3R in DPL :D

I can't do that cause i've got DPL an D3R on ps2, so maybe you'll try it ;)
By madness
It's not as easy as that, if it were I would have done this before. But the engine has change quite a bit as well as all the file types and structures so it's not as easy as you think and it would require the developers "Reflections Interactive" to do such a thing. But they'll proably find that they'll have to completly redesign the vehicles.
By Coyote
Yeah a new engine will be good. The DPL engine is the same as the 2001 Stuntman Engine, it changed just a bit but we could say its the same…
By madness
the file structure is quite different, in driv3r the cars where in multipul files, now it's all in the same file.

Basically we can't do anything until we can extract certain elements.

So before we can do anything like that we will need to be able to import and export 3d models and textures. We can now do this with the textures.
By Coyote
So you can export for example Tanner's house ine Miami to NYC ?
By madness
well then we would also need the 3d models for the house, we only have the textures. But the files are also designed differently, I tried to edit tanner into TK and it didn't work to good, so it would take a lot of fooling around just to get the textures working.
By Coyote
So what can you export from D3R to DPL with the textures ?
By madness
yeh, but we will have to edit the textures around a bit in photoshop.
By nobodie902
no point to export textures from those to games.. IMO
By roupe93
Registration Days Posts Avatar
well.. i have this one "SLConverter-Driv3r 1.04a" i used it, opend "characters/nyc.sp" and "to DDS" when i try open it i get an error in my Photoshop... but if i open the LAPD car skin you can download, then it works...

EDIT: i know why, vehicles worked but not charakter...
By cleone
Where can I find he SLConverter?! :x
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]