Modding discussion for Driver 2.
By VAIMAHDO
As some of you have already heard, I have some plans making DRIV3R animations. I also have plans for Driver 2, but not nessesarily just animating. I did look at the topic ".LEV files and .LEV files revisited" and it was interesting. Well if anyone has acess to ANY Driver 2 models, tell me! If not possible yet, does anyone know how to rip information off video ram? While I run Driver 2 on my computer I could rip some things while the game runs . (Y) UPDATE: Driver 2 can be ripped while running, but I discovered something. I have always known the PS1 does not have a video card, (or chip), but what I didn't know was that means the PS1 cannot produce 3D objects. The solution? 3D models are converted in a playstation 1 format to display a 2D image, causing a constant shaking when you move. (Everything on the screen will shake and seem displaced). So it's a 2D world simulating a 3D world. Strange huh? Here are my finds: UPDATE2: If your only purpose here is to give your opinion or do the "trolling" category, please.... keep it to yourselves... It seems a few already missed the point of this topic. :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Krishty
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:I have always known the PS1 does not have a video card, (or chip)
It does have a dedicated graphics chip!
but what I didn't know was that means the PS1 cannot produce 3D objects. The solution? 3D models are converted in a playstation 1 format
This sounds pretty nonsense-y …
to display a 2D image, causing a constant shaking when you move. (Everything on the screen will shake and seem displaced). So it's a 2D world simulating a 3D world. Strange huh? Here are my finds:
Of course anything is eventually 2d, because the frame buffer is a 2d array of pixels. Driver 2 does not use any depth buffering, and polygons are sorted back-to-front to avoid overdraw. You are very likely not looking at the 3d models but at the projected 2d data for the frame buffer. The shaking is a consequence of the low precision math (the GPU uses a fixed-point format with only 32 bits for all its math, which is pretty tight for huge worlds) and missing perspective correction in texture sampling (which was introduced later with the PS2).
By 0takumetalhead
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Pardon my french but: what a incoherent confusing bullsh**
By VAIMAHDO
I didn't ask for anyone's opinion, I just asked if any models are available, and some results in some things I did.
By 0takumetalhead
Only 3d games not actually being 3D are games like Wolfenstein 3D, it makes use of sprites that simulate 3D enviroments.
Playstation has a GPU, I doubt a console would be a console w/o one...

Funny thing is, a wireframe model is impossible if it was w/o 3D models.
Moral of the story: OP needs to study modeling some more.
By VAIMAHDO
0takumetalhead wrote:Only 3d games not actually being 3D are games like Wolfenstein 3D, it makes use of sprites that simulate 3D enviroments.

It's flat polygons, 2D is just a refrence...
By 0takumetalhead
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:
0takumetalhead wrote:Only 3d games not actually being 3D are games like Wolfenstein 3D, it makes use of sprites that simulate 3D enviroments.

It's flat polygons, 2D is just a refrence...
To witch I will refer you to Krishty's post.
Krishty wrote:Of course anything is eventually 2d, because the frame buffer is a 2d array of pixels. Driver 2 does not use any depth buffering, and polygons are sorted back-to-front to avoid overdraw. You are very likely not looking at the 3d models but at the projected 2d data for the frame buffer. The shaking is a consequence of the low precision math (the GPU uses a fixed-point format with only 32 bits for all its math, which is pretty tight for huge worlds) and missing perspective correction in texture sampling (which was introduced later with the PS2).
By pete
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I just noticed your signature

"[img]C:\Users\Public\Videos\Driver2Run.gif[/img]"

You're doing it wrong
By VAIMAHDO
I know it's wrong, I left it because I just don't care. And postaldude why do you fear old electronics so greatly? As I've mentioned plenty of times now, I don't always use my classic stuff, I have a laptop from 2011 I mainly use. -.- Your trolling isn't satisfying anyone.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]