Discussion for Driver 2: Back on the Streets [EU] / Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back [US] (2000)
A very long time ago I was playing that stage in Havana when I found one of that parked Cop cars around the town. I entered it and activated the siren. After a while, I was pursuiting one of the clue cars, and suddenly two other cop cars joined the chase, along with me. They didn't hit me, they didn't chase me - they were chasing the clue car as well.

Did this happen to anyone as well?
That's interesting, because police are disabled in Find The Clue, IIRC. I have done that mission using a cop car in parts as well, but I don't recall any felony or cops because of it.
helegad wrote:That's interesting, because police are disabled in Find The Clue, IIRC. I have done that mission using a cop car in parts as well, but I don't recall any felony or cops because of it.
This is true, but you can always use Gameshark codes to add police to any mission (Law Nightmare), that way maybe you can recrate that weird behavior..
There are several videos of weird cop behaviour, and I once had the police chase me while I was on foot … so I don't think Xtreemo is trying to fool us.

Dust or scratches on the CD can have the same effect as a gameshark code (changing an arbitrary variable in the game). Bugs in the game (we all know Driver 2 is quite buggy) can strengthen that. Technical failure. Consider the millions of hours Driver 2 has been played, and by law of large numbers, it can be expected that someone somewhere has encountered that.

It's not like he's bullshitting us about hidden cars, hidden levels, or a minigame where you become police officer and dispatch units. Sounds like a simple bug to me.
Xtreemo liked this
driverretro wrote:I'm really hoping your memory is rustier than a sewer grate and the smell of bullsh** in this thread isn't coming from you. Nothing about this sounds legitimate at all.
Don't be a prick. There's a big difference between troll baiting and this.
Krishty wrote:Dust or scratches on the CD can have the same effect as a gameshark code (changing an arbitrary variable in the game). Bugs in the game (we all know Driver 2 is quite buggy) can strengthen that. Technical failure. Consider the millions of hours Driver 2 has been played, and by law of large numbers, it can be expected that someone somewhere has encountered that.
Is that true though? I've heard it so many times but I don't believe I've ever seen a game work in a buggy state due to media damage; it's either worked, crashed loading, or doesn't boot at all in my experience. Besides, I thought PlayStation had built-in error correction to combat basic data damage.

Loved the PlayStation black-coated discs, they were so sturdy :D
Xtreemo liked this
helegad wrote:
Krishty wrote:Dust or scratches on the CD can have the same effect as a gameshark code (changing an arbitrary variable in the game). Bugs in the game (we all know Driver 2 is quite buggy) can strengthen that. Technical failure. Consider the millions of hours Driver 2 has been played, and by law of large numbers, it can be expected that someone somewhere has encountered that.
Is that true though? I've heard it so many times but I don't believe I've ever seen a game work in a buggy state due to media damage; it's either worked, crashed loading, or doesn't boot at all in my experience. Besides, I thought PlayStation had built-in error correction to combat basic data damage.
From the specification, it looks like games are free to choose between
  • raw reads (no retry, no error correction)
  • read with retry
  • read with error correction
… and there are probably performance implications, programmer’s personal preferences, and Sony quality restrictions coming into play. If error correction is used, it seems to me like the software has to do it itself – it’s not handled by hardware (not “for free”). Furthermore, there seems to be a huge difference in quality between licensed and unlicensed CDs.

I've personally seen lots of games run with damaged textures, glitched objects, etc. But I was a kid, I used lots of illegal copies, and many were in bad shape.
Xtreemo liked this
Krishty wrote:There are several videos of weird cop behaviour, and I once had the police chase me while I was on foot … so I don't think Xtreemo is trying to fool us.

Dust or scratches on the CD can have the same effect as a gameshark code (changing an arbitrary variable in the game). Bugs in the game (we all know Driver 2 is quite buggy) can strengthen that. Technical failure. Consider the millions of hours Driver 2 has been played, and by law of large numbers, it can be expected that someone somewhere has encountered that.

It's not like he's bullshitting us about hidden cars, hidden levels, or a minigame where you become police officer and dispatch units. Sounds like a simple bug to me.
I would never try to fool you guys; I got nothing to lose by telling you this. The Disc 1 had some few scratches (even though the game and the videos worked perfectly) so, Yes, maybe it was a bug. Because as I said, it only happened once, so it could have happened with me many other times and on any other missions. It's just like the "Police doesn't work in tunnels" bug of the game. In Havana for example, the cops will never hunt you in the tunnel, they will be crashing at the side walls instead. I guess that was not planned, however the AI could have been not completely programmed.
Krishty wrote:There are several videos of weird cop behaviour, and I once had the police chase me while I was on foot … so I don't think Xtreemo is trying to fool us.

First off, apologies to Xtreemo and everybody else offended by my sh*t attitude. I had easily the worst month of my life and it has turned me into an asshole. But I cannot and will not use that as an excuse for clouding my judgement and dictating my conduct on here, or anywhere. I will refrain.

Back on the subject, this goes beyond a simple bug. Way beyond. Cops appearing in a mission where they are disabled is one thing, and sure, that could happen. Next is the notion that on top of that, they're chasing after anything other than what is associated to the player. In none of the bugs of Driver 2 discovered to date have cops ever done this. No matter how odd or crazy the bugs may have been, the phenomenon with them always directly or indirectly involves the player. Cops chasing on-foot players, attacking the car the player hit the cop with before immediately exiting the vehicle, cops glitching out in tunnels, etc. Then there are gameshark codes. Change cop car skin, have all cars become cops, etc, All directly/indirectly target the player.

I don't care how anyone spins it, the odds of a bug appearing in this game that alters the programming into something as coherent and coordinated as seamlessly chasing after another AI are nonexistent; especially when that's combined with cops being enabled for a mission. Where in the game code can you find anything pertaining to the cops chasing another AI (such as cars that you chase after), and has anybody, to date, hacked the game to make this happen? Scratches can sometimes mimic gameshark codes, sure. But again, this case is not simple, and so is incomparable to gameshark code enabled phenomenon.

This may not involve hidden features and unlockables, but it certainly falls under the category of impossible in the context of any degree of chance. It falls in line with a good portion of all the hundreds of claims people have made online over the years about things they experienced in the game, all turning out to be false. Driver 2 is a heavily bugged and glitched game; however, over 95% of what's been discovered is destructive (bugs and patch codes), and the very little that is constructive is extremely simple in nature.
Xtreemo, helegad liked this
It takes some character to write that, and many people just don’t do it. Great thing you did and sorry to hear you had a bad month. I hope it all gets better soon! Also, you didn’t write too bad things, after all.
driverretro wrote:Back on the subject, this goes beyond a simple bug. Way beyond. Cops appearing in a mission where they are disabled is one thing, and sure, that could happen. Next is the notion that on top of that, they're chasing after anything other than what is associated to the player. […] All [cop bugs so far] directly/indirectly target the player.
I’m being agnostic here, and I’ll tell you why:

I don’t know enough about D2’s internals. One common concept is the player being a global variable, and all of the program is centered around it. Another common concept is having a list of cars/agents in the world, and the player always being the first entry, scripted AI being the next entries, and traffic being the rest. In this case, if the player index changed from zero to one, you’d have the police chasing a scripted car. How D2’s internals actually work? We don’t know.

I’d love to find, actually. A first step could be reproducing the “copy chasing car that hit them last before the player left” bug and observing it with a cheat engine. Maybe re-entering a vehicle and checking if the wanted level goes up. [Yes? Hint that it’s player-centered. No? Hint that it’s variable.] Then comparing it to a “normal” situation of hitting a police car and being chased without leaving. If only I had time … :(
Xtreemo liked this
driverretro wrote:First off, apologies to Xtreemo and everybody else offended by my sh*t attitude. I had easily the worst month of my life and it has turned me into an asshole. But I cannot and will not use that as an excuse for clouding my judgement and dictating my conduct on here, or anywhere. I will refrain.

Back on the subject, this goes beyond a simple bug. Way beyond. Cops appearing in a mission where they are disabled is one thing, and sure, that could happen. Next is the notion that on top of that, they're chasing after anything other than what is associated to the player. In none of the bugs of Driver 2 discovered to date have cops ever done this. No matter how odd or crazy the bugs may have been, the phenomenon with them always directly or indirectly involves the player. Cops chasing on-foot players, attacking the car the player hit the cop with before immediately exiting the vehicle, cops glitching out in tunnels, etc. Then there are gameshark codes. Change cop car skin, have all cars become cops, etc, All directly/indirectly target the player.

I don't care how anyone spins it, the odds of a bug appearing in this game that alters the programming into something as coherent and coordinated as seamlessly chasing after another AI are nonexistent; especially when that's combined with cops being enabled for a mission. Where in the game code can you find anything pertaining to the cops chasing another AI (such as cars that you chase after), and has anybody, to date, hacked the game to make this happen? Scratches can sometimes mimic gameshark codes, sure. But again, this case is not simple, and so is incomparable to gameshark code enabled phenomenon.

This may not involve hidden features and unlockables, but it certainly falls under the category of impossible in the context of any degree of chance. It falls in line with a good portion of all the hundreds of claims people have made online over the years about things they experienced in the game, all turning out to be false. Driver 2 is a heavily bugged and glitched game; however, over 95% of what's been discovered is destructive (bugs and patch codes), and the very little that is constructive is extremely simple in nature.
Your appologies are accepted! I hope your problems get solved, and you can return to a normal and good state of life, soon. :wink:

But; what you said is quite accurate. It never happened to me again, yet I still try to do it and discover what caused me to do it, even though I fail on it every time. I really wanted to have an explanation, but I don't lol. I just remember I failed the mission, and as I tried again, nothing happened. This really bothered me.

The bad part is, I don't recall where I got the cop car, yet I've gone through the same sections as the clue cars use to drive - the stadium. I don't know if I took too long to take the car out, and for that, the cops joined me, but it is quite strange. This is something I wouldn't be so worried about, yet is something strange that happened to me for once, and I thought it could have happened with someone else.

The bugs might have inflicted in doing so, yet a bug itself could not try to interfere in a line of programming In a mission, I guess.
Right now I had a thought that I could be wrong and the police could be pursuiting me instead of the guys. But I remember you guys said the police is not active in this mission, and as I know and remember, there is no mission or minigame in D2 that turns you into a cop just like the others and make them join you in a pursuit (except for multiplayer, but that would be impossible).
This bug or glitch is really getting nowhere, yet I will still ask myself how it happened to me (with no expectations beyong being a bug, a command line gone wrong or something similar).
But there are things I believe that are conflicted with the game just like a secret area, checkpoint, section or pixel that if you get through, you'll have a reaction. Just like the circle right in the front of the cemetery, near the Take A Ride spawn - if you press Circle (O) while standing on it, it's going to start to rain. Maybe it was a very small section of the city near where I was, where I gone through, or randomly pressed one or a couple of buttons, which caused the chain reaction of the cops, but I wouldn't believe on this as well as this situation is a very isolated one.
Krishty wrote:
Xtreemo wrote:The bad part is, I don't recall where I got the cop car, yet I've gone through the same sections as the clue cars use to drive - the stadium.
Looks like parked cop cars are pretty frequent in the mission (4:50):
That is true! But there are cop cars spreaded all over the town in that mission as well. So I could not tell the exact place.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]