Discussion for Driver 2: Back on the Streets [EU] / Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back [US] (2000)
By helegad
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Not really. A lot of console games back then relied on the CPU clock to keep things in sync. For example, Resident Evil on PlayStation would loop a silent audio file to keep everything running at a consistent frame rate; this was not ported with the PC version, which is why the game runs at a million miles an hour on anything better than a Pentium.

It's a bit sad really, I'd love to see Driver 2 running smoothly; for a taste of how good it is, check out the demos.
By somebodynamed
helegad wrote:Not really. A lot of console games back then relied on the CPU clock to keep things in sync. For example, Resident Evil on PlayStation would loop a silent audio file to keep everything running at a consistent frame rate; this was not ported with the PC version, which is why the game runs at a million miles an hour on anything better than a Pentium.

It's a bit sad really, I'd love to see Driver 2 running smoothly; for a taste of how good it is, check out the demos.
I've how smooth the demo ran but isn't there any kind of epsxe patch or plugin to make the full version run smooth?
By helegad
Not that I know of; something like that probably would have been mentioned around here before anyway. The problem with the game is either poor optimization or the game engine asking for too much from the PlayStation's hardware, or both.
By somebodynamed
helegad wrote:Not that I know of; something like that probably would have been mentioned around here before anyway. The problem with the game is either poor optimization or the game engine asking for too much from the PlayStation's hardware, or both.
OMG!! I found out how to fix it! epsxe 2.0.2 has a cpu clock option just set it to 4x and the game will run at a solid 30 fps with no slow downs :D now how do I set a custom rendering resolution instead of 2x and 4x resolution?
By helegad
somebodynamed wrote:
helegad wrote:Not that I know of; something like that probably would have been mentioned around here before anyway. The problem with the game is either poor optimization or the game engine asking for too much from the PlayStation's hardware, or both.
OMG!! I found out how to fix it! epsxe 2.0.2 has a cpu clock option just set it to 4x and the game will run at a solid 30 fps with no slow downs :D now how do I set a custom rendering resolution instead of 2x and 4x resolution?
No sh*t! I never thought I'd be playing Driver 2 at a steady framerate. Cheers for the heads up mate!

As for the resolution, change the settings under config > video. Set your fullscreen resolution there :)

BTW, another great PS driving game, World's Scariest Police Chases, works great with the CPU overclock and widescreen hack. Check it out!

By somebodynamed
helegad wrote:
somebodynamed wrote:
No sh*t! I never thought I'd be playing Driver 2 at a steady framerate. Cheers for the heads up mate!

As for the resolution, change the settings under config > video. Set your fullscreen resolution there :)

BTW, another great PS driving game, World's Scariest Police Chases, works great with the CPU overclock and widescreen hack. Check it out!

cool i'll check it out btw something I noticed with ps1 games is that all the 3d models look like jel-o but is only noticeable at higher resolutions
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]