Vote for many "Driver Related" things in here :)

Still playing Driver: San Francisco?

Yes
32%
Kind of, not played lately
32%
No
37%
By Coyote
Fab2cent wrote:
Coyote wrote:Have you never watched the Blues Brothers?! :P Everyone crashes into everyone, because everyone's obsessed with catching the crook in Takedown, that's the reason! They don't do that on purpose, but it shows how dynamic and aggressive the matches are! I really love that, lots of action :)

About the noobs: Meh, I used to beat everyone when I was level 0 already. The reason why is simple, I've played the story and challenges before. People come in multiplayer because they bought the game for that, and some of them even don't know how to shift. Some even at level 15 or higher don't… I was there at level 0 and already knew all cars, the whole city and every street, and my driving skills were already maxed out! I don't feel sorry for the noobs coming and loosing tbh, it's their fault. Sometimes I see someone in early levels who beats the sh*t out of everyone, and then I know: This guy has played the story before, and that puts a smile on my face :) Lambo doesn't make you a better driver sadly :lol:
Tbh i have never really played a lot of driver SF multiplayer (lvl 17 on pc and like 20ish on ps3) but i have to agree with you that levels don't matter, i have never lost a game hahaha. Players that are max just try and out speed you, like you said if your a good driver you do well. Its easy to win at DSF multiplayer but i dont play it often, i like to play single player more, just to enjoy the driving. Driver 3 and 4 ive played MUCH more than SF even though SF has multiplayer. Multiplayer can be a chore and just boring sometimes, its not why i love the driver games. I play driver to just...drive, make movies and escape the cops is awesome cars, Not to constantly have objectives and things to do. Thats why i spend my time in free roam most of the time, just driving around :P Its just my opinion and i understand why multiplayer can be fun, and thats probably why you like it. But in general i play driver to have fun and just relax while driving a awesome car, not to have non stop action.
Yeah I understand, the relaxing thing is not so my thing, I like the constant action :D Obviously in takedown you don't have too much time to observe the cars since they're most likely destroyed after a few seconds and you have to change :D But I know what you mean, sometimes I used to like to just take a car in solo mode and drive relaxish and observe the details and how well it was modelled :)

For me I guess Driver are the chases too but it really needs to be multiplayer, I love so much playing against real players because it's just completely different than playing against the AI, and you can do things that wouldn't work with the AI.

But what I also like is the free roaming with other players… stacking up trucks, building ramps, doing all kinds of weird stuff, doing destruction derbies in enclosed areas… basically all the stuff you can't do alone! For example one thing would be to place to ramp trucks and then we would both take a jump and crash in the air, a bit like in the Stuntman demo trailer in case someone remembers. In Stuntman it was possible because you had that car that could drive from alone although it was very limited. But that's what I love about DSF! If you're a bit creative you can do the craziest things ever :D
By Olanov
I have watched it, and it's hilarious. But I don't want that to ruin my gaming experience. You gotta remember, not everyone wants to get damned smashed into. Especially in Takedown, where you win if you take out the perp. I also noticed the first unit you spawn in, you have a police officer driving it. If you shift, you lose him. If you also get totalled, you lose him. I also prefer to employ proper police tactics (when playing with friends) to take out my suspects, instead of stupidly ramming into everyone and barely catching the suspect.
By Coyote
Well, you don't win if you take him down, you just get points of scratching/ramming his car. You can be taken down and still win the match if you've got enough points! I never noticed the bug with the officer, too bad usually it's a woman sitting inside (it doesn't really fit imo).

And we do play with real tactics! Like pit manoeuvre (it's being done all the time) or roadblocks in front of checkpoints or routes where we know the suspect will pass. I do crash everything and everywhere but I definitely don't "barely catch the suspect", some people don't even move from the place they start because I shift into a car from oncoming traffic and smash into them - while the cops behind would smash them from the back (sandwich :D), for me it's really about taking down the suspect as fast as I can. Because some players are so incredibly good that even if you try to do it as quick as you can, it's still really hard and that's what makes a really exciting match for me (I love it when it's difficult to beat them - I don't like easy games :P). So I might crash with full speed into a cop car, but that cop car will slam into the suspect and eventually his car will be totalled!

So were you on yesterday btw? Something came in between and I couldn't make it, excuse-me in case you were :( I'm so tired today so I'll see if I'll be on tonight but I may just go to bed and watch a movie if I get even more tired and in case there's a good movie running!
Coyote wrote: Well you need to explain me how a story mode can influence the replay value, do you play the story mode every day or what? A few times a year will be enough I guess, but I play DSF online every day. Can you play other Driver's stories everyday? Playing the same mission basically through the whole story? Go from A to B to find XY. Chase X. Go from A to B to do XZ. Chase Y. Go from A to B to observe X. Chase YZ. Seriously? :P
There's a fun thing called 'self-imposed challenges'. And no, I don't play it everyday, but there's still a way better story in the first 4 games than DSF has nonentheless.
Coyote wrote:Online mode in Driver SF is different every day, because obviously different people play in different ways - nothing is predictable. THIS is replay value!
A good game doesn't rely on multiplayer over the internet, it's a nice addition but it's no proper way to extend re-playability for people who don't like to/cannot go online.
Coyote wrote:You need to explain me how the cities feel alive also. How do 2 cars on a screet and 1 pedestrians feel "alive"? Even object-wise the cities are just empty.
You're kinda ignorant on this part: Even the first Driver had more than just '1 ped and 2 vehicles on the road at the same time', model diversity was scarce but roads where far from empty.
Keep in mind that the hardware wasn't so advanced back then, older games at least managed to create that certain atmosphere to make the city's feel alive, which isn't the case in DSF since stuff got cut for constant 60 frames per sec.
Coyote wrote: And film director? The DSF film director is missing one feature compared to the one in Driver 3… still better than none at all such as in DPL or Stuntman I'd say, but of course in those game it isn't a problem if there's no film director at all ;)
Have fun with a Film Director completely inferior compared to older versions ;)
Yeah, well, to me police chases is about catching the suspect. Not about the points. And I wasn't talking about you barely catching suspects. I'm talking about majority of the userbase I've ran into. Should've probably clarified that. They keep slamming into the wall/my unit/other traffic instead of the target vehicle for the most part. Why? I don't know, maybe they're idiots. Maybe they feel like acting like idiots. Me, personally, I hate it. I'm not signing up for a demoliton derby of cops ramming into eachother, I'm signing up for taking down the perp. Then again, DSF is not trying to lean over to realism with that, instead the humorous hollywood car chase comedy. So I guess it's justified in that way, I just prefer more realistic outlook regarding chases. I have to agree though, chases online kick single player's ass.

So far the most fun chases I've had has been strictly with friends in freeroam,(which I've been able to communicate with) compared to the chaos of the takedown mode. That's also why I prefer having police chases in other games e.g. Arma II, GTA IV. Arma II especially due to the large maps (and on foot!).

http://classic.xfire.com/video/5db252/

Chase actually ended with the suspect crashing his car into a tree in the woods, causing this tree to fall down on his car, effectively killing him and ending the chase right there.

Horrible, horrible squad cars in the video but best we were able to have at the time. Now we use police Crown Vics ripped from DSF, with different livery applied on them of course.
Image thumbnail

I wasn't on yesterday, I actually napped throughout most of the day. I've been online today, played a couple matches on Takedown. I actually found a game!
0takumetalhead wrote:
Coyote wrote: Well you need to explain me how a story mode can influence the replay value, do you play the story mode every day or what? A few times a year will be enough I guess, but I play DSF online every day. Can you play other Driver's stories everyday? Playing the same mission basically through the whole story? Go from A to B to find XY. Chase X. Go from A to B to do XZ. Chase Y. Go from A to B to observe X. Chase YZ. Seriously? :P
There's a fun thing called 'self-imposed challenges'. And no, I don't play it everyday, but there's still a way better story in the first 4 games than DSF has nonentheless.
Coyote wrote:Online mode in Driver SF is different every day, because obviously different people play in different ways - nothing is predictable. THIS is replay value!
A good game doesn't rely on multiplayer over the internet, it's a nice addition but it's no proper way to extend re-playability for people who don't like to/cannot go online.
Coyote wrote:You need to explain me how the cities feel alive also. How do 2 cars on a screet and 1 pedestrians feel "alive"? Even object-wise the cities are just empty.
You're kinda ignorant on this part: Even the first Driver had more than just '1 ped and 2 vehicles on the road at the same time', model diversity was scarce but roads where far from empty.
Keep in mind that the hardware wasn't so advanced back then, older games at least managed to create that certain atmosphere to make the city's feel alive, which isn't the case in DSF since stuff got cut for constant 60 frames per sec.
Coyote wrote: And film director? The DSF film director is missing one feature compared to the one in Driver 3… still better than none at all such as in DPL or Stuntman I'd say, but of course in those game it isn't a problem if there's no film director at all ;)
Well, yes, if you don't like multiplayer then I can't help you! And I'm not considering the hardware "back then" or what was a lot of traffic cars for "back then", I'm just thinking "now" :) I am looking at the games objectively when it comes to having fun, and please, go play DSF again, and compare to the other Driver games. The cities feel totally lifeless! I know that it was great for it's time, but it simply isn't anymore - just like DSF will be dated as well one day compared to another Driver game, that will have an even more lively city (or compared to games that are already out actually).

You must explain me how film director is inferior also, we've compared the different cameras not so long ago, if you count in stuff like the cockpit and hood camera, it even has more options than old Driver games :lol:

Olanov wrote:Yeah, well, to me police chases is about catching the suspect. Not about the points. And I wasn't talking about you barely catching suspects. I'm talking about majority of the userbase I've ran into. Should've probably clarified that. They keep slamming into the wall/my unit/other traffic instead of the target vehicle for the most part. Why? I don't know, maybe they're idiots. Maybe they feel like acting like idiots. Me, personally, I hate it. I'm not signing up for a demoliton derby of cops ramming into eachother, I'm signing up for taking down the perp. Then again, DSF is not trying to lean over to realism with that, instead the humorous hollywood car chase comedy. So I guess it's justified in that way, I just prefer more realistic outlook regarding chases. I have to agree though, chases online kick single player's ass.

So far the most fun chases I've had has been strictly with friends in freeroam,(which I've been able to communicate with) compared to the chaos of the takedown mode. That's also why I prefer having police chases in other games e.g. Arma II, GTA IV. Arma II especially due to the large maps (and on foot!).

http://classic.xfire.com/video/5db252/

Chase actually ended with the suspect crashing his car into a tree in the woods, causing this tree to fall down on his car, effectively killing him and ending the chase right there.

Horrible, horrible squad cars in the video but best we were able to have at the time. Now we use police Crown Vics ripped from DSF, with different livery applied on them of course.
Image thumbnail

I wasn't on yesterday, I actually napped throughout most of the day. I've been online today, played a couple matches on Takedown. I actually found a game!
Ah I know what you mean, the people crashing into walls is a common phenomenon :lol: It's not just in takedown but in every game mode I think, well actually it happens very often in tag to me! I think these people are just complete idiots who are used to a pure arcade style of handling where suddenly taking a 90° corner at 200 km/h is normal :lol: I love sometimes to standing right in front of a wall in tag and in the last moment go left or right, resulting in everyone crashing into the wall! :lol: But thankfully I usually play against more advanced players, so although it's funny I don't see these that often anymore. (most people who still play the game are regulars who've had the game since release and have already maxed out their skills for this game!)

And weird I've never heard of that game Arma 2, looks fun. Do you drive with cockpit view in DSF as well?
Cockpit view for life! There is simply no other way to play DSF for me! I've always loved cockpit views.

But yeah, I agree. It's hilarious seeing players totally screw up from time to time. It's like the front row seat to the greatest comedy show on earth.
By Fab2cent
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Cockpit view is amazing, idk how but for me it makes the cars turning more accurate and sensitive
Last edited by Fab2cent on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote wrote:
0takumetalhead wrote:
Well, yes, if you don't like multiplayer then I can't help you! And I'm not considering the hardware "back then" or what was a lot of traffic cars for "back then", I'm just thinking "now" :) I am looking at the games objectively when it comes to having fun, and please, go play DSF again, and compare to the other Driver games. The cities feel totally lifeless! I know that it was great for it's time, but it simply isn't anymore - just like DSF will be dated as well one day compared to another Driver game, that will have an even more lively city (or compared to games that are already out actually).

You must explain me how film director is inferior also, we've compared the different cameras not so long ago, if you count in stuff like the cockpit and hood camera, it even has more options than old Driver games :lol:
Have fun with replays not longer than 30 seconds.
0takumetalhead wrote:
Coyote wrote:
0takumetalhead wrote:

Have fun with replays not longer than 30 seconds.
My replays last as long as I want. So inferior.
By gforeal
Registration Days Posts Avatar
I still play it. And in my opinion, it does have a good amount of replay value, just like the other Driver games. But, I honestly can't say there hasn't been a couple of months where I didn't even touch it (or barely). I have played Driv3r far more than I have played this one. It was probably the same with Driver 2 (comparing the first year, anyway).

I also think this Driver has the best (I know people will disagree) handling out of any Driver so far :specialdriver: . The handling to me just feels like it has that fun way about it like the other Drivers do, but with more to it. From the burnouts, to revving up the car, to sliding into turns, to the actual weight of the car. It has that Driver fun, plus more! The car chases on the other hand, may have taken a tiny step back. They aren't much worse, though. They are pretty similar, just a little more frantic. They still have that movie feel. I do love the car chases!

Nothing beats the fun of the old games, though!
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]