Discussion for Driver: San Francisco (2011)
By TheEngiGuy
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
That no-shield mod is just for mac right?

And yeah, I hate the shield too, if only there was an option to turn it off... Developers nowadays don't put much preference options to their games.
By Coyote
TheEngiGuy wrote:That no-shield mod is just for mac right?

And yeah, I hate the shield too, if only there was an option to turn it off... Developers nowadays don't put much preference options to their games.
Yeah I did this a while ago, but I have the shields again as well now. The reason is because DSF isn’t supported on my current OS, and I can’t reinstall it either if something goes wrong. I’d have to backup everything, reinstall the supported system, and then reinstall my current system. So I don’t touch any files at all :P

You get used to it, but it makes the game so ugly… I mean I still play it, gameplay is the important thing for me, but still. I also hate the trails, but you can’t remove these because if you do, it also removes the trails of the trailblazer car :?
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:Of course, THAT would be the ultimate hit. You could do car chases the way they should be, without cops doing random stupid stuff. You could do a whole script for your movie. And you could of course record amazing matches, the most important!
This x999.

There's so many times I've wanted to do a cool police chase with, y'know, police not smashing into stuff constantly but the AI just doesn't allow me to.
By max.thunder
I bought this Driver mainly because of online because main storyline wasn't so appealing for me as the previous games. And after completing the game the main story i realised that i couldn't join online :cry: . First Driver ever with multiplayer with so much potential that could create a big community but sadly Ubi didn't pay a lot attention to it. (N)
By Coyote
* online multiplayer

First Driver with multiplayer was Driver 2 :D

But yes, I don’t get why they don’t help some people. I too see lots of people on Ubisoft forums with all kinds of issues, saying support doesn’t answer them and closes their cases, I don’t get it. All the regulars I play with, including myself, have never had problems with the support. I always get immediate responses and those who had issues with the game received instant help as well, eventually even a new key for the game (for free obviously) and it took only a few days.

Maybe they know that we play it every day and therefore they treat us as VIPs :lol:
By Steerclear
AI will always be important, it needs to be good so you can enjoy the game. I hope game developers don't just focus on multiplayer in the future, a lot of people in the world are douches, of course there are more who aren't, but want makes the Driver franchise good is the fact that it's story based in single player, unlike a lot of car games. Single player mode is a must I think, people still play classic games solo, that's how we loved the the first Driver in the first place. Not saying I hate multiplayer, I think it's great, but single player needs to be there with good AI. To be honest the AI mainly got real stupid in SF when Corvette cop cars spawn and give chase, all the other AI cop cars seem to catch up to your car no matter what car you drive (unless it's a Zonda etc). Plus it's not fun trying to do a classic Dodge Challenger chase when 5 Corvettes fly at you at a billion mph and smash in to building as if they're indestructible...
By Coyote
Steerclear wrote:AI will always be important, it needs to be good so you can enjoy the game. I hope game developers don't just focus on multiplayer in the future, a lot of people in the world are douches, of course there are more who aren't, but want makes the Driver franchise good is the fact that it's story based in single player, unlike a lot of car games. Single player mode is a must I think, people still play classic games solo, that's how we loved the the first Driver in the first place. Not saying I hate multiplayer, I think it's great, but single player needs to be there with good AI. To be honest the AI mainly got real stupid in SF when Corvette cop cars spawn and give chase, all the other AI cop cars seem to catch up to your car no matter what car you drive (unless it's a Zonda etc). Plus it’s not fun trying to do a classic Dodge Challenger chase when 5 Corvettes fly at you at a billion mph and smash in to building as if they’re indestructible...
It’s not just the Corvette’s, it’s all cars, it depends on what Level in the game you are. They even catch up with the Zonda! But if you say that, it means you haven’t played a Driver game before ;) Because this is pretty much one of the characteristics of the Driver series. The cops that ram you with full speed from behind.

AI can always be well done but it will never replace a human. I’m not saying the human is better (for example someone who just got the game probably wouldn’t be better), but the human is always more realistic, and probably also more fun.

Multiplayer IS more important these days, and maybe in 10 years time or even earlier we’ll probably have only multiplayer games, but of course with a story too, the difference will be that the players will all be part of a story.

The Crew has already started like this, and now GTA Online too. Ok, that’s not really a story yet. But it’s a game mode, just like single player. That’s the thing I love about GTA 5 online. You buy your house, you do you business, you go on bank robberies with friends, you ear money, etc. and it all happens online.

And yes, soon we will see stories inside the multiplayer too. Some games already had a multiplayer for their story mode (split screen, not online), like one of the James Bond’s. I don’t remember which one it was, but it was an amazing game. I played it with my cousin all the time, we used to do the story together. And it’s just so much more fun. It’s the future of gaming :)
By Fab2cent
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Coyote wrote: I also don’t care about the cop AI’s if they were well done or not. Who cares at all actually? As if someone really spent their time playing solo chases all the time apart of 2 or 3 people :lol: What I care is if the cop players I play against in multiplayer are good or not, if they suck then it’s a bad match and not fun. That’s what counts! That’s also why multiplayer is the future.

Human > Machine
I don't agree with you here, yes with human players it is much harder to escape or chase, but Ive almost played 150 hours of dsf and im only level 4 in multiplayer (i must be really sad :lol: ). The whole multiplayer in dsf is so repetitive for me, hardly anyone plays it and the constant qualifying then races are very boring. As i said a while ago on the forums is that split screen is the best way to play driver imo, but coop split screen. The game mode in dsf where you and a friend had to survive cops while driving different cars every checkpoint was very fun, and the free roam was good.
By Coyote
I wasn’t saying it’s harder, just more realistic. That’s why I gave this example of the player who just played for the first time, he’ll be easy to escape from but it will just be more “real” than playing against an AI. You can trick players easily in Takedown, I could show you if you would just play the game. I can make players thing I’m going to go left and finally go straight or go right. There’s tons of stuff you simply can’t do with the AI.

That’s also why I think it’s not repetitive at all, it’s only repetitive if you make it repetitive. I just come back from an amazing team game, and Capture the Flag too is a mode with so many possibilities. Oh and it’s 2:30 AM. No players? It’s not that there’s no players, it’s that internet in Australia isn’t exactly the best on planet earth, plus most players seem to be based in Europe which means you’d have to stand up at 4 or 5 in the morning to play against us :P

Even qualifying is fun because there’s plenty of tricks how you can do quicker points here. I don’t know why but it never bored me, plus the players always change. Which means at some point, some players will hate you eventually? I’m hated by a lot of players it seems and I think it’s fun, I love seeing them raging and smashing them :lol: If you play race obviously it’s going to be boring. Who buys Driver then plays race? Race mode is just here for the sake of being there, well and also because a lot of players come from other “racing” games and believe this is a “racing” game too, when actually it should be a new genre, “Pursuit” game.

I’d love to see you play against me and 6 other of us “regulars” in takedown (together with you that would be 8 players), and I’d love to see you even survive the first checkpoint ;) We’ll see how repetitive it gets :lol:

And now, I’ll say something I think is important: Most people are too dumb and believe the game is going to come towards them. But that’s wrong — you need to know how to play a game correctly, to make the best of it. If you don’t know how to play the game, it’s not the game’s fault. Some people look for stuff in a game and don’t get that this isn’t the game for that stuff, some people still think it’s 2004 and this is Driver 3. Hello, that was almost 10 years ago, wake up :) It’s like a car. You need to know how to drive every car, every car is different and every car wants to be driven differently. You also need to know how to talk to certain persons, because every person has a different position and every person is different in itself. And that’s why you also need to find out how to play each game the way it’s meant to be played. Not the way you want to play it, the way the developers thought it was meant to be played. Because only then you will discover the full potential of the game. That’s why people start to make games, to make the games THEY want to see.
By Fab2cent
Coyote wrote:I wasn’t saying it’s harder, just more realistic. That’s why I gave this example of the player who just played for the first time, he’ll be easy to escape from but it will just be more “real” than playing against an AI. You can trick players easily in Takedown, I could show you if you would just play the game. I can make players thing I’m going to go left and finally go straight or go right. There’s tons of stuff you simply can’t do with the AI.

That’s also why I think it’s not repetitive at all, it’s only repetitive if you make it repetitive. I just come back from an amazing team game, and Capture the Flag too is a mode with so many possibilities. Oh and it’s 2:30 AM. No players? It’s not that there’s no players, it’s that internet in Australia isn’t exactly the best on planet earth, plus most players seem to be based in Europe which means you’d have to stand up at 4 or 5 in the morning to play against us :P

Even qualifying is fun because there’s plenty of tricks how you can do quicker points here. I don’t know why but it never bored me, plus the players always change. Which means at some point, some players will hate you eventually? I’m hated by a lot of players it seems and I think it’s fun, I love seeing them raging and smashing them :lol: If you play race obviously it’s going to be boring. Who buys Driver then plays race? Race mode is just here for the sake of being there, well and also because a lot of players come from other “racing” games and believe this is a “racing” game too, when actually it should be a new genre, “Pursuit” game.

I’d love to see you play against me and 6 other of us “regulars” in takedown (together with you that would be 8 players), and I’d love to see you even survive the first checkpoint ;) We’ll see how repetitive it gets :lol:

And now, I’ll say something I think is important: Most people are too dumb and believe the game is going to come towards them. But that’s wrong — you need to know how to play a game correctly, to make the best of it. If you don’t know how to play the game, it’s not the game’s fault. Some people look for stuff in a game and don’t get that this isn’t the game for that stuff, some people still think it’s 2004 and this is Driver 3. Hello, that was almost 10 years ago, wake up :) It’s like a car. You need to know how to drive every car, every car is different and every car wants to be driven differently. You also need to know how to talk to certain persons, because every person has a different position and every person is different in itself. And that’s why you also need to find out how to play each game the way it’s meant to be played. Not the way you want to play it, the way the developers thought it was meant to be played. Because only then you will discover the full potential of the game. That’s why people start to make games, to make the games THEY want to see.
Ok, you are playing the DSF the way the devs want you to play it, thats good but i like to play driver solo, and i don't think that there is anything wrong with that. BTW if you have pc we could play sometime (and i will probably win 8) )
Last edited by Fab2cent on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By k9Underdogg
Who cares at all actually? As if someone really spent their time playing solo chases all the time apart of 2 or 3 people
I really disagree there :P I'm always interested in how AI improves over the years and how they game is supposed to behave in a realistic and human way. The reason I like videogames is because I don't need another person to play with. I know multiplayer is fun for many people but I think games shouldn't forget about AI, which is obviously harder to program than multiplayer, but it's also a step further in the evolution of computers every time it's improved.
You guys are really cool and I wouldn't mind playing multiplayer with you (I don't have Driver SF though) but most other people on the internet make me lose faith in humanity so I'd rather play videogames by myself against the computer u.u
And I miss local split screen multiplayer by the way, it's absent on most new games as far as I know.
EDIT: Oops, I just realized I replied to an old post.
By Fab2cent
k9Underdogg wrote:
Who cares at all actually? As if someone really spent their time playing solo chases all the time apart of 2 or 3 people
I really disagree there :P I'm always interested in how AI improves over the years and how they game is supposed to behave in a realistic and human way. The reason I like videogames is because I don't need another person to play with. I know multiplayer is fun for many people but I think games shouldn't forget about AI, which is obviously harder to program than multiplayer, but it's also a step further in the evolution of computers every time it's improved.
You guys are really cool and I wouldn't mind playing multiplayer with you (I don't have Driver SF though) but most other people on the internet make me lose faith in humanity so I'd rather play videogames by myself against the computer u.u
And I miss local split screen multiplayer by the way, it's absent on most new games as far as I know.
EDIT: Oops, I just realized I replied to an old post.
I agree with you 100% playing with friends and people you know is fun, but most people in multiplayer games are just...not fun to play with. I play games to enjoy them not to be abused hahah
By Coyote
So you have friends to play in split scree but not in multiplayer? :P If the game is fun enough for them to play split screen with you, why don’t they buy it? It’s getting discounted all the time, it was even for sale for 1 € at some point, and playing with 7 other friends is more fun than playing only with a single friend if you ask me :) The possibilities of what there’s to do with 8 players is just… huge! Stacking ramp trucks and doing “air crashes”, doing mass chases and “custom takedowns” in the lobby, these things aren’t fun or aren’t even possible to do with 2 players! :P

Of course AI is important. For the traffic :D No I mean, it’s also important for cops and opponents of course. Alone for the challenges it is already. And the challenges are a cool thing too, even if they’re partially online :P
Fab2cent wrote:
Coyote wrote:I wasn’t saying it’s harder, just more realistic. That’s why I gave this example of the player who just played for the first time, he’ll be easy to escape from but it will just be more “real” than playing against an AI. You can trick players easily in Takedown, I could show you if you would just play the game. I can make players thing I’m going to go left and finally go straight or go right. There’s tons of stuff you simply can’t do with the AI.

Ok, you are playing the DSF the way the devs want you to play it, thats good but i like to play driver solo, and i don't think that there is anything wrong with that. BTW if you have pc we could play sometime (and i will probably win 8) )
I am playing on Mac but it’s the same (Mac and PC players play together), tell me your username and I’ll add you ;)
By Olanov
Very true. Chases alone are already much more exciting in online multiplayer.
For reference. Drove with a steering wheel, this game just ain't really cut out for it. :lol:
By Coyote
Yeah, cool video! It does look good with the steering wheel, the movements are so smooth! I play with the keyboard, so the way Tanner uses the steering wheel never looks so smooth, but then again, I never really drive with the cockpit view, it’s useless in multiplayer because you can’t see on the sides.

And now imagine this whole thing with 8 players, and shift of course! The checkpoints in takedown are always the same, so people often already go to the checkpoints and make roadblocks, or block other roads to make the crook go in an ambush :D Shift is also cool when the player is crossing a street, and someone shifts into a car which is on the street the crook is crossing… causing him to crash full speed into the crook and making him flip and stuff! Damn I love this game :D
By Steerclear
Coyote wrote: I agree that it sucks that there’s no film director in multiplayer. I know that there was one because it was said in a german review where they actually even showed it, but apparently it’s not accessible for us. They were in the “Dev Menu” so that’s how they used it I guess.
Of course, THAT would be the ultimate hit. You could do car chases the way they should be, without cops doing random stupid stuff. You could do a whole script for your movie. And you could of course record amazing matches, the most important!
Ugh, if they kept that in, it would've taken my life away.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]