Discussion for Driver: San Francisco (2011)

Which era should the new Driver set in

70's
27%
80's
18%
90's
14%
present
41%
By Trinity
Registration Days Posts
well i think that in the gta series it makes you feel like you are the player, but in driver it sorta feels like you are on the outside looking in on what tk or tanner are doing.
By madness
I really prefer a good mixture of times.
I liked the way they did it with mafia going through the years in 2 year segments. However I hated the way he was telling it as a story.

I'd like it if there where years and the cities would gradually grow large and large. Like constructing the city as you play. Starting off as an outback on a farm building over that as a city and containing life in that style of growing through the years.

This gave me an idea for another wish for the wishlist!

But I really prefer having a few years, just like parallel lines did but with more. But I really like the idea I just come up with!
By Coyote
Yeh I think it's really cool two have more epochs ! They should make that again !
By Daltarin-Elite
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I am voting for present because we can use modern cars. as for the when d3 was set. The cars weren't present models, they were 90's. The rubbish bin idea was just dumb. as for the calender in the base, i think that might be the month and year that the particular calender was animated, that wouldn't surprise me.
But the cell phone is definatly modern so i don't know.

And about tanner in retirment after jericho shooting him. i'm sure if jericho lives tanner would want revenge.
By madness
That story is explained in Driver: Vegas. Both Tanner and Jericho lives.
I'll say no more...
By Sedans
madness wrote:That story is explained in Driver: Vegas. Both Tanner and Jericho lives.
I'll say no more...
Oh yeah. I remember.

How come you didn't point this out before?
By Daltarin-Elite
What. Where do i find this stuff?
By Afternoon
Registration Days Posts Avatar
To stick to the topic:
Skeleton wrote:Which era should the new Driver set in?

80 could be cool :D
It would be cool, I agree, but it's not Driver. And, it has been done perfectly in GTA: Vice City, so why try to make a copy of that?

In my opinion, Driver is the 1970s. Without it, it would be nothing. Just look at Driv3r. The music, the fashion, the cars - the '70s is the era of driving! The Driver series created a franchise with it's '70s style, so I think they should stick to it.

Well, we have seen the seventies before in previous Driver games, but I think it can be done again. I think the DPL universe was so interesting and thoroughly done that I would like to se a game that dug deeper into it.

An alternative could be the 1960s (why isn't the '60s in the poll anyway?), but definitely not present time. It's plenty of that otside your door. The '70s will never come back.
Afternoon wrote: in GTA: Vice City, so why try to make a copy of that?
Because then Driver would be labeled as a copycat, it had enough of that it doesnt need more.

no one really wants to see the 60s in driver becasue, uh, well... the 60s sucked. (No offense)
but definitely not present time. It's plenty of that otside your door. The '70s will never come back.
LOL! Very true. Nice way of putting it.
By Afternoon
Sedans wrote:no one really wants to see the 60s in driver becasue, uh, well... the 60s sucked. (No offense)
Why do you think it sucked?
Bullitt is from 1968, the Dukes of Hazzard Dodge is from '69. And we have Woodstock. I think it would be an awesome era to play in.
By madness
The sixties is going back a long time, it's getting closer and closer to the era in which everyone was driving these really old cars SLOW you see in Mafia.

As long as we don't go to much lower than that era.
I thought of a similar idea where you start in the 40s with those types of cars and you play for about 10mins until you get into the 50s era and then you play for about 20mins and go into the 60s era and stay in the 60s era for the rest of the game or something similar to that.
By Daltarin-Elite
The '70s will never come back.
Actually the seventies will be back in about just under 63 years. But it will be different from the old seventies.

I saw no indication of D3 being in the seventies, they had relativly modern cars in it. If it were the seventies, they couldn't have some of those cars.

Fashion... What Fashion. Tanner dresses like freakin Simon Cowell. And no one else is particularly fashion concious either. They all wear sports jackets, and that isn't seventies.

I say present time difinatly.
By Afternoon
Daltarin-Elite wrote:
The '70s will never come back.
Actually the seventies will be back in about just under 63 years. But it will be different from the old seventies.
You're right here, but I'm sure you know I didn't mean the time period from xx70 to xx79, but the culture that originated in that period when xx=19.

Daltarin-Elite wrote:I saw no indication of D3 being in the seventies, they had relativly modern cars in it.
Neither did I. Hence it being the weakest game in the series. It lack the x-factor, which in my opinion is being set in the '70s.
Daltarin-Elite wrote:Fashion... What Fashion. Tanner dresses like freakin Simon Cowell. And no one else is particularly fashion concious either. They all wear sports jackets, and that isn't seventies.
If Slink or TK from DPL aren't fashion conscious, nobody is. Just look at the cut scenes! And there's lots of people in the streets wearing '70s clothing in DPL. Tanner from D1 and D2 isn't all dressed opp, because with those days' graphics putting more than three colours on him would make him look like a paint palette.
madness wrote:The sixties is going back a long time, it's getting closer and closer to the era in which everyone was driving these really old cars SLOW you see in Mafia.
What are you talking about? They started making V8 muscle cars in mid '60s! They are still fast cars even though they are made in an era closer to the mafia-era.
By bryand751
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
GTA IS SO POPULER CAUSE ITS SOOO REALISTIC.
By TheGabo92
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
bryand751 wrote:GTA IS SO POPULER CAUSE ITS SOOO REALISTIC.
And what the hell has that to do with the thread?

PS: GTA is very... VERY unrealistic.
By Daltarin-Elite
PS: GTA is very... VERY unrealistic.
I agree.
If Slink or TK from DPL aren't fashion conscious, nobody is.
Well i think Slink is a cock. But i do like Tk's flowery shirt.
And there's lots of people in the streets wearing '70s clothing in DPL.
Of course their was... it was the seventies.
I saw no indication of D3 being in the seventies,
This is what i meant by what i said on the fashion thing. D3 was definatly not seventies and the fashion is a big part of that, cars too.

D3 had to be late ninties atleast, so that elimanates the seventies... that is, if we want a continuation on the story of Tanner.
By Nikusakken
Atual era with '70 feel. So when you're walking, you can see a Chevy Nova, Chevrolet Impala as a secret car (like the secret cars in D2 and D3).
Last edited by Nikusakken on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Crevlthe
Registration Days Posts
i think the 70s would be good as there is funky music and jumpy cars too

After some testing, I got it to work. You have use[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4