Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)
Awhile back, while doing the D.M.E.P, I experimented with the time of day. There is indeed Day, Dusk, and Night. But they don't look very pretty - its a really nasty color! I might post pics...
By Coyote
Yeah could you post pics please, I'd really like to see that :)
By Fireboyd78
Ok i was wrong about nasty colors, it just doesnt look right -

FROM TOP TO BOTTOM: Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night

By Fireboyd78
mission48.dms
By Coyote
Nice job. Yeah well it's just the sky which is too dark for the day, or you could say it cloudly.
By PostalDude
SWEEEEEET,I have DriverMissionConfigurater also,i've made it dusk in NY and have it snow like in The Presidents Run mission.
CarLuver69 wrote:Awhile back, while doing the D.M.E.P, I experimented with the time of day. There is indeed Day, Dusk, and Night. But they don't look very pretty - its a really nasty color! I might post pics...
Could you tell us how to do it or at least post it for us?
By T.K.
I actually like it.
Hi,

I don´t know how to play with daylight in l.a.
The sky is so dark and I can´t play this city.

I used the editor but I didn´t find the sky picture of los angeles, where is that picture?

Anybody can upload a daylight-los angeles file in this site?

Thanks.
preceptivo wrote:Hi,

I don´t know how to play with daylight in l.a.
The sky is so dark and I can´t play this city.

I used the editor but I didn´t find the sky picture of los angeles, where is that picture?

Anybody can upload a daylight-los angeles file in this site?

Thanks.
I hate black sky of LA too.

PLZ anyone can upload this modifies "mission48.dms" to have a brighter sky?

Im also testing with "Driver Texture Editor" but I dont find the sky of LA to replace it with a brighter one.
Anyone knows where is the LA sky pic placed? la_01.lev? What pic number? I cannot find it
I still can't figure out how to have that "day" mode from the picture :/ I mean it works if I set it to dawn or dusk but how can I set it to day? (so it's day all the time) Typing "day" doesn't work and deleting "night" changes the sky to blue but all the lights are still on and it's dark.
k9Underdogg wrote:I still can't figure out how to have that "day" mode from the picture :/ I mean it works if I set it to dawn or dusk but how can I set it to day? (so it's day all the time) Typing "day" doesn't work and deleting "night" changes the sky to blue but all the lights are still on and it's dark.
1 year ago I was bored of that stupid night-ish L.A. ... S I searched around the textures a perfect day sky texture for it and I found it in the New York file... It is like the NY sky but with no buildings or palaces drawn on it. I firstly tried that just by replacing the night texture sky with the day sky found, but the result wasn't good. In fact the sky was alike screwed because of the bit of day texture. I was almost to get it! If I could make 8-bit images, I could make that once and for all!
Well, the PlayStation 1 Los Angeles looks really great.. Does it have a daylight system?

I would love to see my favorite car in Driver 1 (in my siggy.) in broad daylight. :3
k9Underdogg wrote:I still can't figure out how to have that "day" mode from the picture :/ I mean it works if I set it to dawn or dusk but how can I set it to day? (so it's day all the time) Typing "day" doesn't work and deleting "night" changes the sky to blue but all the lights are still on and it's dark.
Set it to "Dawn" and let the cycle complete fully. It will then be daytime, since "Dawn" eventually turns into "Day" and "Dusk" turns into "Night". It's really cool.
I don't think they completely turn into each other, do they?

I remember on PS1 there was that mission where you'd have to meet someone at a bar, and then later go meet someone and chase him in his speed boat.

The mission started at night and as you'd arrive at the bar it would be day, but not really day as we know it. More like a foggy, not very sunny day. That's because there's no sun because it was simply the night textures getting brighter. After the cutscene in the bar it would be day, but real day, that is with the sun shining and everything looking very "hot" :) So I was always wondering if it's actually possible to have a 24h cycle or not.
Coyote wrote:I don't think they completely turn into each other, do they?

I remember on PS1 there was that mission where you'd have to meet someone at a bar, and then later go meet someone and chase him in his speed boat.

The mission started at night and as you'd arrive at the bar it would be day, but not really day as we know it. More like a foggy, not very sunny day. That's because there's no sun because it was simply the night textures getting brighter. After the cutscene in the bar it would be day, but real day, that is with the sun shining and everything looking very "hot" :) So I was always wondering if it's actually possible to have a 24h cycle or not.
Driver 1's engine can do it without any isseus as far as i'm concerned.
CarLuver69 wrote:Set it to "Dawn" and let the cycle complete fully. It will then be daytime, since "Dawn" eventually turns into "Day" and "Dusk" turns into "Night". It's really cool.
Thanks :) I had it set to Dawn but I thought there was maybe a way to have the normal "day" mode, I guess not. Still, dawn is good enough.

@Coyote: I'm not sure but maybe it's actually 2 missions, I mean like 2 separate mission scripts for before and after the cutscene. Maybe I'm wrong though and it would be really cool to have it change from real night/dawn to real day in the same mission :mrgreen:
Yeah the mission is definitely set in two parts with two settings for the weather, but exactly that is the point. Because in the first part, there is no sun. Like I said, it's only the night texture that gets brighter. And the night texture doesn't include any sun, which makes sense. The *real* day texture does contain a sun and is brighter. If there was a 24h cycle, where and when would the sun appear? That seems strange to me :? It would be interesting to know.
0takumetalheadgamer wrote:

Do you mean to make the sun appear?
I attempted to make a day version of LA by replacing the building and street textures with similar textures from the other cities. I had the whole of LAX done and just needed to replace the skybox texture. Whatever palette the skybox texture had meant that the day texture I replaced it with screwed up. If I knew a way around it I wouldn't mind starting that project again, it was on the right tracks.
Coyote wrote:
0takumetalheadgamer wrote:

Do you mean to make the sun appear?
I'm not to sure on that but a 24 hour cycle (albeit without sun as far as I guess) is possible. A day to night cheat is already availble and the game handles it without issues.

After some testing, I got it to work. You have use[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4