Old news can be found here.
By madness
Unfortuantly, It's late and I cannot write an article about this at the moment. But since it recently occured and no other sites have mentioned it, I'll link to it until I can write an article.

Ubisoft would hire 1,000 UK developers - but only if there was a tax break
http://www.developmag.com/news/30362/Ub ... -tax-break

"Why not open up a studio in Australia, oh! right, annoying government isn't subsiding game developers either" -madness

I was reading UK and Australias industry are teaming up, pweswading their government to think about tax-cuts for the industy. Since early 2007 Australias' been thinking about it but so far nothing.
By Nikusakken
Looks like that the UK's government is similiar to Brazil. They don't support at all, games development. If I'm not mistaken, Ubi is the only big company that opened a studio here, to develop games. Also, another problem here are the high taxes that make it much difficulty to buy cheap games/consoles and comp hardwares (i.e video cards).

But the best things was reading this :P
Newcastle-based Reflections, meanwhile, has 110 staff all currently hard at work on the next Driver game.
By Spartan Phoenix
Registration Days
Well, hopefully in a few years or so, they will start sending more work to Australia, it will make my career as a game designer a bit easier :o
By Smiler
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
*Update*

Well, I'm from the UK myself so I like to keep upto date with stuff like this here in the UK,

and recently alot of talks have been going on about the UK government starting to support the gaming industry in 2009!,

I suspect that they have decided to support the gaming industry after hearing the recent news that Video games are almost making more money than the movie industry is making!!.

and with the recent credit crysis, I think that the government will have to start looking into stuff like this which could benefit the country.
By bb_42001
Welcome to driver madness smiler!!!

so you can give us the latest UK gossip awesome.... think you can sneak into the ubisoft ans steal us the latest game lol

bb42001

Noodles

By Smiler
Lol

I'll make sure that I update you on any info about the gaming industrys relationship with the government here in the UK/England when ever anything big is mentioned!.

I don't think that I'll be able to get upto the Ubi studios though lol...
last time I checked for travel costs for me to get to newcastle (where reflections is based) it said that the price would be
By Nikusakken
Welcome to the community! Have a long life here!

Where in UK do you live?
By Smiler
Stoke-On-Trent (in the middle of England)
By Smiler
*UPDATE*

Well, the British government is making plans to lower taxes to help us to get out of the credit crunch, but I thought that I'd let you know, because I think that this may benefit Reflections too!

I'll keep you updated on this when I find more details on the situation!.
By Nikusakken
Well. It's about time for the UK government do it. Shame that the brazilian governement doesn't do the same...
By Nikusakken
Now, I just want to know what the big boss Gareth will say about it...
By Smiler
After recent news I dont think that we'll be able to get our hopes up for the 1000 Devs...

The UK government has decided to lower taxes... but only for a short period, and then they will raise the taxes again... they say its to encourage people to spend and help to get us out of this credit crisis...

So lowering taxes for a few months just wouldn't be enough to make UBI employ more UK Devs...

I dont think that there would be any chance of the UK government lowering taxes enough to help UBI until 2010 at the earliest though unfortunately...

I will keep you upto date on any other news if any pops up!

*UPDATE*

I think that this news from TIGA is much better at describing the situation!

http://www.developmag.com/news/30876/TI ... plan-wrong
By Nikusakken
After reading this, I came across this, well it has almost nothing related to Driver, but pretty interesting to see that the UK game industry is "falling apart". I'm just wondering if Brazil will pass UK on it one day.
By Nikusakken
Huh... I'm not impressed. The UK's government doesn't want to do tax breaks for the developers. Specially now that we're into a economy crisis, the UK government will not do anything.
By Smiler
Nick Brasil wrote:Huh... I'm not impressed. The UK's government doesn't want to do tax breaks for the developers. Specially now that we're into a economy crisis, the UK government will not do anything.
Well, to be honest, our Priminister is pretty old... but, I guess it shows...
By Driver of DOOM
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Curse brown and his party, how come banks get so much, why i outta make a reflections bank, divert the bail out money to our favourite ubi studio, it could work! :idea:
By Smiler
Driver of DOOM wrote:Curse brown and his party, how come banks get so much, why i outta make a reflections bank, divert the bail out money to our favourite ubi studio, it could work! :idea:
Well, to be honest, I've already decided that I'm not voting labour ever... primarilly because they are stuck in the past... they care all about this war memories stuff, but don't two f*cks about us real people who are alive today, keeping this country afloat and paying browns bills :evil:

... Sorry it just makes my blood boil to know that we probably have the most dumbest government in the world.... :roll: :lol:
By Nikusakken
Smiler wrote:... Sorry it just makes my blood boil to know that we probably have the most dumbest government in the world.... :roll: :lol:
Come to Brazil and your opinion will change! :lol:
By Smiler
Nick Brasil wrote:
Smiler wrote:... Sorry it just makes my blood boil to know that we probably have the most dumbest government in the world.... :roll: :lol:
Come to Brazil and your opinion will change! :lol:
I think that we'll just have to differ on that...

I just wish that Bush was still leading the US, at least then, we wouldn't have to feel embarrased :P
By Nikusakken
Obama! Obama! Lol.

Anyways, I just hope that this tax break does not really affect the production of the next Driver. I want Driver! 8)
By Driver of DOOM
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Don't we all, cum on reflections, just a little bit o news, please!
By Nikusakken
I hope that they manage to get some tax breaks. Well, the time will tell.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]