Modding discussion for Driver: San Francisco.
By max.thunder
This look great.

I don't mind if you insult us. I'm not envy of your work. But this probably doesn't affect us because it won't work in PC version, which probably has different coding from Mac.

Stop being so rude. I don't want arguments here.
By Coyote
That's the fun thing, I never insulted any of you. But you insulted me. "Hater" was obviously just a joke, I think the smilie gives that away :P

In fact it couldn't work, Badnick has messaged me earlier about the files his DSF has (and other people have done it too before) and they all seem to be encrypted. Someone on Ubisoft forums who had the game for Mac said he would install it on his PC, and he said it would work. I'm going to try that sometime soon as I would like to see if my Mac version really runs on PC, I highly doubt it but maybe he meant that there is a PC version included in the download we got as well. So, like I said, I will test it some time, but for now you must be satisfied only with watching. I hope it's ok… because I can't do anything else for you at the moment…

Olanov, point of the camera or point of posting it here?

Point of posting it here: Maybe some other people are reading Drivermadness too, and I thought I'd promote my videos here a bit. Isn't against the rules is it? I mean, since 99,9% of players can not do this stuff or play this stuff anyhow, I thought it would be cool to show it, it's the least thing I guess to make them all excited about this game again.

Point of the camera: This can be used as a free cam for making great movies! As a "live" cam actually. We had this in Stuntman already, and I missed it in every Driver since that point. Basically what it allows you to do is for example invite some friends in your lobby and film their cars from the street, and moving with them, wherever they're going. This is pretty dope as no other camera allows you to go with the speed of a car, they are sadly all fixed camera. You can not film "live", you would have to cut, choose a camera for the selected region, and then only play to see the result. However you could achieve a similar result by recording the car you would like to film with another car using the ego view. But it's not as flexible.
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:That's the fun thing, I never insulted any of you. But you insulted me. "Hater" was obviously just a joke, I think the smilie gives that away :P
That's cleared up then. You don't ask you never find out. :P

I guess it could be used as a live camera or such, as long as the shift interface could be got rid of.
By Coyote
Olanov wrote:
Coyote wrote:That's the fun thing, I never insulted any of you. But you insulted me. "Hater" was obviously just a joke, I think the smilie gives that away :P
That's cleared up then. You don't ask you never find out. :P

I guess it could be used as a live camera or such, as long as the shift interface could be got rid of.

Yeah this is my only problem right now, to get rid of it. I haven't found out yet but I have a bug sometimes in multiplayer where it doesn't show up. It must be possible to get rid of :)

Another thing would be the cars — if you watch closely, they become chrome / white at some point. That's when I go over them with the shift-cross (when the car is selected in shift mode).

Just recently I had done a very small mod that blocked the player from shifting into cars. Basically if I would have chosen a car in the garage, and left the garage, then if I would shift out while I was on the street, this car that I've chosen in the garage would be the only car in which I could shift back. I was able to shift out of the car, but since the feature of shifting into another car was missing, shifting was completely useless (Ok, except for looking around maybe). Ok now that I'm thinking of it, this could be a damn good multiplayer idea. Takedown with only your police car, and no map or whatsoever. If you loose the crook you can go in shift and search him but you need to get back to your car and take him down. He might have moved since then but at least you know in which area of the city he'll be. And with some cop mates, it shouldn't be too hard to surround him in that area. Ok whatever, back to the shift mod. Basically this mod wasn't like for example when the game doesn't let you shift into a car. Because let's say your car is destroyed. Or a car from a crook perhaps. It won't let you shift in and you'll see the "blocked" sign, but you can still go over it in shift and it will give the car's data and the car will be highlighted. Whereas in this little mod that I had done, nothing would happen when you would be over a car in shift. Absolutely nothing, just as if you were "cruising" on an empty street with the shift view. This "mod" has absolutely no use at all, except that it was not highlighting cars. Unfortunately I haven't written down what I've modified, and now I forgot :( I still remembered a few things and so I tried to do this, but it didn't work. I'm very sad about this but I will go at it again very soon. I wanted to make a great video without the shift HUD and without this damn highlighting (and also without the damn loading, those black spots drive me crazy), but I guess it could take ages again, so I decided to upload the video as it is right now :|
By Fireboyd78
It really sucks that the Mac version is different from the PC version - why did they have to compress it! D:
By Olanov
Good luck with that.

Wonder if we could learn to lock down the camera to a certain position, still attached to a moving object (like a camera next to the car wheel, side of the car etc...) , or get a moving camera? Sort of like on the film director trailer for the actual game. I guess that's just either a debug camera or some other tool for it. Maybe even just a few simple scripts, I don't know - but I sure as hell know they weren't included in the final version of the film director, if they ever even attempted to implent them in it.
[youtube size=560X315]
[/youtube]
By Coyote
Very interesting video, I had not seen this before.

Actually, all of these cameras are special scripts. They are included in the game, and also used, but sadly only in cutscenes. I think you could do pretty much any camera you'd want. But yeah that video shows a big bunch of stuff that the game does not give, such as road blocks, Monaco police cars or these cameras. I don't find it so good to advertise with stuff that isn't there…

As for the fixed camera, you mean fixed on the car right?
By Olanov
Yeah, pretty much. I also figured something like that of the cameras, being some scripts.

And I agree with you there, that's very, very bad advertisement. It surely was a let down to me to find out nearly none of this stuff is actually used outside of missions. Also locking us out on driving some cars with no explanation what so ever.
By Coyote
Well as for the Asym Desanne(s), I understand that because it's not a licensed vehicle and to be honest it has not really lost anything in there. I even saw some people talking about a very weird ugly car appearing in some missions and showing up on some billboards. Well, they weren't impressed. Personally I don't mind it, but perhaps the devs thought it could harm the game's image. Maybe it's not really good to mix up non-licensed cars with licensed ones.

For trucks or busses it's different, nobody cares what manufacturer a bus is (Martin Edmondson's words). Again, personally I disagree here, I think it's always cool to have licensed stuff, but probably it would cost more, etc. so it wasn't worth it, which I understand. Same thing for the buggy, most people probably think Y.A.R.E. exists for real haha.

For the Monaco police car, Starsky's Gran Torino, the two Chargers, the one Charger, etc… well… I kind of understand it to be honest. It's just simply to make the game more interesting. If they were selectable, we wouldn't be talking about them. Lots of games do this actually… not just with cars, with anything really. Anything that is rare or hard to get, that makes the players go crazy haha :D

Before I started modding this at all, I was looking for clues how to maybe unlock these cars, or even glitches. There's this delivery van that appears in a lot of back streets and it says 'SHIFT' on it. I remember I thought this was maybe a clue, and that you would need to shift into it (because it says 'SHIFT') to unlock something. Obviously that didn't work so I thought I would have to do something. Maybe a chase and loose the cops. Or maybe a chase without damage and loose the cops. Or a special jump. Or driving very fast for a specific amount of time. Anything that was like the Delorean basically. Well, all of it was wrong sadly. Because the devs told me it's just there because the traffic is meant to be realistic and most deliveries take place in back streets. Which all makes sense now. Well, except one thing, those delivery vans have a small orange light turned on at the back, and when I shift into it, it disappears. Not sure what this means…

Anyway, that's stuff people talk about, and it increases the game's lifetime. And it makes it more interesting if you ask me. I like all those secret cars in DSF because it's small details nobody really notices. And it makes it very exciting for me :)
By Fireboyd78
PostalDude wrote:>Dodge Monaco Copcar as your avatar...with you driving it.
You're not gonna tell us how to get it, are you.
Don't even try to start any sh*t. He can't tell us how to get it because he's on the MAC version, apparently the LUA files are uncompressed on that platform. We're screwed unless somebody can decompress LUA files and then reimport into them, but without someone who can dedicate the time and effort, we're screwed.
By PostalDude
CarLuver69 wrote:
Don't even try to start any sh*t. He can't tell us how to get it because he's on the MAC version, apparently the LUA files are uncompressed on that platform. We're screwed unless somebody can decompress LUA files and then reimport into them, but without someone who can dedicate the time and effort, we're screwed.
Oh f**k, seriously? sh*t, disregard my last statement.
By Fireboyd78
PostalDude wrote:
CarLuver69 wrote:
Oh f**k, seriously? sh*t, disregard my last statement.
It's Mafia II all over again!
By Coyote
Yes this is the Dodge Monaco! :)

Edit: I said already, I will try to install it on my copy of Windows and see if I can do something. I mainly do this because I want to try to import the map of Miami or New York into DSF, but those only exist for PC. Imagine Miami or NY (hell or even the Stuntman levels) in HD quality, and in DSF-style. Just epic. Reminds me of this here:
Last edited by Coyote on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Coyote
PostalDude wrote:
Coyote wrote:Yes this is the Dodge Monaco! :)
Can you see if the ASYM Taxi still exists?
This is sooo strange. I only see files for the Taxi and the Civilian edition, yet the Taxi isn't there but the cop car does appear in some cutscenes. So I'm not sure, maybe there's mistake. I should check this out more closely…

I think the Taxi was meant to blow up at some point, and I also think it was meant to appear in the bonus challenge "Taxi". It has only 3 cars in total (Crown Vic, Impala, Gran Caravan) but all races usually have 4 cars.

Also the second time when we see the police version is when you get to that underground place to defuse the bomb. The Asym is just standing there, but why? It's a car meant to blow up, yet the bomb doens't blow up in the scene. I think the whole plot was changed at this point (Ok, I think the mission was changed).
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:
PostalDude wrote:
Coyote wrote:Yes this is the Dodge Monaco! :)
Can you see if the ASYM Taxi still exists?
This is sooo strange. I only see files for the Taxi and the Civilian edition, yet the Taxi isn't there but the cop car does appear in some cutscenes. So I'm not sure, maybe there's mistake. I should check this out more closely…

I think the Taxi was meant to blow up at some point, and I also think it was meant to appear in the bonus challenge "Taxi". It has only 3 cars in total (Crown Vic, Impala, Gran Caravan) but all races usually have 4 cars.

Also the second time when we see the police version is when you get to that underground place to defuse the bomb. The Asym is just standing there, but why? It's a car meant to blow up, yet the bomb doens't blow up in the scene. I think the whole plot was changed at this point (Ok, I think the mission was changed).
Exactly-the mission was changed, in the beta the bomb was meant to blow up, probably. So wait-the taxi is still there?
Another question-would it be possible to make all cars spawn in traffic?
By Coyote
Yeah I also think that the crook had a really fast car. Because in the scene the cops say something like "The suspect is fleeing in a very fast car" when that's not true at all, he's in a red Dodge Monaco. Very interesting somehow :)

No I don't think it is, I think the files are just misspelled. The files for the taxi are probably the ones for the police car.

But there's some other interesting cars, for example the Ambulance was a 1989 Chevrolet van. I think that's pretty dope. It was replaced by the current Ambulance, but the files weren't renamed. I've checked this 100%, sadly it's not there anymore. So I guess same with for the Taxi.

About the traffic: I never tried but I highly doubt it. If it was possible, Reflections would have done it (why would they not?). A lot of the stuff from traffic was limited in order to get the game running… that is trams, a normal traffic system where vehicles actually stop at red lights (rarely seen in DSF as most of these intersections were removed), limited number of cars on the roads, etc. :(
By Coyote
I will, I already did some traffic mods (check my videos)!

I know that cars are located in "packs" and that the game loads these packs, but I have no idea how you can edit these packs, and make only one pack which contains all cars.

Next thing I will do is make the cops chase you when you drive too fast. I found an interesting script. Basically it defines that cops will chase you when a certain command is executed. For example when you pass a specific place. Or, as seen in the Cannonball challenge, when you or another driver passes a certain checkpoint. I think at the 3rd checkoint or so (in a corner) the cops start chasing you, no matter where you are located.

It must be something like if location = checkpoint X, then cops = active or something of this kind.

We could do something like if speed = X, then cops = active

I have no idea how to set this up if you break something, like if you crash a car or an object or try to run over peds as I have no idea what the scripts for these are / what the commands are.
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:I will, I already did some traffic mods (check my videos)!

I know that cars are located in "packs" and that the game loads these packs, but I have no idea how you can edit these packs, and make only one pack which contains all cars.

Next thing I will do is make the cops chase you when you drive too fast. I found an interesting script. Basically it defines that cops will chase you when a certain command is executed. For example when you pass a specific place. Or, as seen in the Cannonball challenge, when you or another driver passes a certain checkpoint. I think at the 3rd checkoint or so (in a corner) the cops start chasing you, no matter where you are located.

It must be something like if location = checkpoint X, then cops = active or something of this kind.

We could do something like if speed = X, then cops = active

I have no idea how to set this up if you break something, like if you crash a car or an object or try to run over peds as I have no idea what the scripts for these are / what the commands are.
Ya know-I kinda thought the traffic was set up like that.
By Coyote
Well we know that it is in packs, I think Reflections themselve told us that :P

Those packs are there for each chapter. The thing is, after you've finished the game, there's meant to be a new pack everytime you leave the garage or go to the main menu. But this doesn't happen!!!! It's a damn bug!!!
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:Well we know that it is in packs, I think Reflections themselve told us that :P

Those packs are there for each chapter. The thing is, after you've finished the game, there's meant to be a new pack everytime you leave the garage or go to the main menu. But this doesn't happen!!!! It's a damn bug!!!
Reflections said something different, matter of fact. They said each vehicle category(Sedan, SUV, sports car, industrial vehicle) has a slot, and that slot has all the vehicles for that category in it, and it cycles through it.
By Coyote
Hmm I never heard that, but it could be possible :| As I said, I have no idea how to change the packs or anything, or even access them. Probably that's the way it is, and then there must be another "rare" pack with rare cars from different categories.

Also even in the 70s mode pack (or however it is being done, because I still kind of think it's a pack, because the slot system wouldn't work for this) there is some cars you will never see on the road, such as the Lambo Countach. It's from the 70s yet it doesn't apear there. Ever. Same thing with some other cars too!
By Fireboyd78
Speaking of the ASYM Taxi...It's easy as hell to get textures out of Reflection's CHNK file format. All textures are DDS and are easily extractable - they're uncompressed. The SL Converter works by taking random stabs in the dark and finding DDS file headers and stuff. But that's besides the point, I just rip the DDS files using a hex editor.

Look at the details on these textures...

In theory, a QuickBMS script could be written to extract every single DDS file in the "dngvehicles.sp" file. Sexy.
By PostalDude
CarLuver69 wrote:Speaking of the ASYM Taxi...It's easy as hell to get textures out of Reflection's CHNK file format. All textures are DDS and are easily extractable - they're uncompressed. The SL Converter works by taking random stabs in the dark and finding DDS file headers and stuff. But that's besides the point, I just rip the DDS files using a hex editor.

Look at the details on these textures...

*awesome textures*]
God damn AL-MIGHT-AYYYYY!
/Angry Grandpa
By Fireboyd78
And since the DDS file format is a very strict file format, replacing textures is easy as hell. It's literally as simple as ripping it out of the file, modifying it (do not change image size or anything like that), reexport using original settings (easy as hell to figure out), and just inserting it back in. Doesn't mess with any of the crazy offsets in the CHNK file format and will appear in game. That's what the SL Converter does!
By Coyote
Wow so the Taxi DOES exist! I never knew that, I thought it was removed.

But I think I know the reason now, I think they both share one game file, because look at your image, the "Taxi" sign is missing, so I guess it would be just a normal yellow Asym?

I don't know what you said about the DDL stuff unfortunately, but I know this is a windows only thing. Not sure why you would replace the textures? It would get all messed up I think :) Or what kind of textures where you thinking to put instead?
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]