Modding discussion for DRIV3R.
By madness
Ok, I'll give you some instructions in working this out

Start ---> Run
Type in "dxdiag" press ok

You see a screen, type in the following details into your post so I can tell you if and how well it'll run on your pc.

Operating System:
Processor:
Memory:
DirectX Version:

go to display tab then copy out

Name:
Chip Type:
Approx. Total Memory:

and that's all the information I'll need.
By Sedans
thank you, i'm in a hurry, so ill check dis out later
By JAY
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Well, for all of you who want to edit the textures. I've collect some useful tools for easy editing. They can be downloaded here: http://planet-driver.gamigo.de/driver3/ ... tools.html

The best of these tools is DXTBmp which was made for Microsoft Flightsimulator and Combat Flightsimulator. But it can also be used for the *.dds-files of Driv3r. You can edit the files and the Alpha-canal as *.bmp in any editor like MS Paint. So if you don't own Photoshop then this is the tool you need.

I hope this was helpful for you and there will be some nice mods out there in the future. :wink:
By madness
In fact I've been working on some mods still and I hope to release them soon.
I will upload a video soon of a mod I've been working on for ages, and this is the most exciting mod you could think of. The only problem is the file size of the mod, so I'm learning C so I can design a little program which does all the conversions for me.
By SparedLife
Registration Days
Hi,
Thanks for having me here..

I have a little better instructions for extracting and replacing the textures in Driv3r.

Driv3r help

Some things to note from reading this thread.
The tool programming doesn't appear to be buggy. It looks for a graphic marker, graphic size, and DXT type only. Most of the graphics stored in the libraries are DXT3 with an alpha channel and mips mapped. The tool can determine if it is a DXT1 or DXT3 but does not distinquish alpha or no alpha and mips mapped or not.
It's not designed to do massive modding of textures but can be used that way with a bit of patience.
It checks only programmed file extensions but you can rename any file's extension to one it will check. For instance guns.cpr will not show up in the tools file selections but you can rename it to guns.pcs to extract the textures.
My tool extracts as a Detail map only even though the graphic in the library has mips you need to generate the mips when saving. The extracted size will help you determine the DXT type.

Nice to see someone is still interested in this game. I only like doing 2 things in every game I get. Texture editing and exploring where the developers never intended you to go. I may try to access the maps just to walk around in. If you look at the No One lives Forever and Contract JACK stuff I have done you will see what I mean. I can actually walk around in the cinematics as the cut scenes are unfolding. Plus I have managed to access almost all parts of the maps that are unaccessable during normal game play.

Jay - are you still editing this game?
By madness
SparedLife wrote:It's not designed to do massive modding of textures but can be used that way with a bit of patience.
Is there any chance that you'll be able to create a slightly better designed version which is easier to use and has some sort of error reporting feature.

If so it would be great to extract and import multiple files in the games archives, and possibly even a image of the .dds file when the .dds is clicked on once within the application.

(Note: This is one of the main things I wanted to contact you about.)

It's just the way the application is it makes the game a lot harder to edit especially when I've wanted to try and make a total conversion and I get quite annoyed by the time it takes so I simply gave up.

So if there is any chance you can spend a bit of time improving the application that would be great.
By JAY
SparedLife wrote:Hi,
Thanks for having me here..

I have a little better instructions for extracting and replacing the textures in Driv3r.

Driv3r help

Some things to note from reading this thread.
The tool programming doesn't appear to be buggy. It looks for a graphic marker, graphic size, and DXT type only. Most of the graphics stored in the libraries are DXT3 with an alpha channel and mips mapped. The tool can determine if it is a DXT1 or DXT3 but does not distinquish alpha or no alpha and mips mapped or not.
It's not designed to do massive modding of textures but can be used that way with a bit of patience.
It checks only programmed file extensions but you can rename any file's extension to one it will check. For instance guns.cpr will not show up in the tools file selections but you can rename it to guns.pcs to extract the textures.
My tool extracts as a Detail map only even though the graphic in the library has mips you need to generate the mips when saving. The extracted size will help you determine the DXT type.

Nice to see someone is still interested in this game. I only like doing 2 things in every game I get. Texture editing and exploring where the developers never intended you to go. I may try to access the maps just to walk around in. If you look at the No One lives Forever and Contract JACK stuff I have done you will see what I mean. I can actually walk around in the cinematics as the cut scenes are unfolding. Plus I have managed to access almost all parts of the maps that are unaccessable during normal game play.

Jay - are you still editing this game?
So, it's a long time ago since my last visit.^^ To answer your question: No, cause I've problems with my graphic card, so Driv3r doesn't work. But I'll try to test your tool as soon as my pc will run. What's new in this version? And thanks for the hint with the missions. I'll try that later. :)

My problem with this tool was to find the right format for the textures so I had alway those effects you could see on the pictures above. I think the problem was the missing alpha texture. I used Photoshop CS2 and a DDS Plugin. But I found many other DDS related tools on the internet. But I couldn't test them. I collected them on my website:
http://driver.onlinewelten.com/download ... tools.html

By the way: I updated my little modding guide. Check out the first post. :)
By madness
It’s been quite some time ever since my last update on everything to do with modding driv3r so I thought I’d talk about a lot of things to do with it.

Unfortunately my release date for “Driver 3 Modding” the upcoming website I’m working on is going to take a lot longer than originally planned. However the longer it takes the better the site will become since the site was going to have a menu structure like the “DPL-List” (using the same base code) and I worked out how horrible it’s loading times were so I found a way to make a better structural view which loads at ease even if I had hundreds and thousands of menu items which is a giant leap from the horrible menu system in the “DPL-List”.

During the past few months I have found some spare time however due being away from my fast PC I am unable to work on modding driv3r as much that mainly includes texture editing since I need to load the game to make sure it works however I may start texture editing without the game due to the new features “sparedlife” has put into the program to reduce errors in the game when importing textures. Due to being away a lot I’m also unable to mod Driver: Parallel Lines during in my holidays as my slow laptop can’t handle it especially while I’m on the move.

However during this time I’ll dedicate time onto other parts of this website and I’ll look inside and I’ll try and crack what would be in side all those archives in the Driver: Parallel Lines (PC) game hopefully it’ll be easy to mod and all those archives are not encrypted or anything which will make it hard to mod like driv3r was.

Well I’ll have a lot more news in the near future so hopefully I will have found enough time to get everything modded, well everything that I can possible find out in the remaining time.
By Miller
About how many GBs of HD space do you need altogether for a DRIV3R install with the textures and stuff extracted?
By madness
Well it's only about 5gig for a driv3r installation and it depends how many textures packs you want extracted, if your thinking about Mafia in that game you have everything extracted at the same time but driv3r doesn't work like that. If we were to extract all the textures in the game you'd probably add another 3gig onto the driv3r installation sum. I'm not all that sure since I've never had them all extracted at the same time.
By Miller
Thanks for the reply, boss. This should help me plan out some hard drive space and decide what to sacrifice for another DRIV3R install. I want to check out this stuff you guys have been talking about next time I install DRIV3R.
By madness
Ok, if your thinking about trying to mod the game yourself I can give you some pointers to get you started.

Delete whatever you can so you can copy your perfectly working driv3r to another spot on your hard drive as you don't won't to ruin your perfectly working one.

Make about 5gig of space for the copy and other 3gig if you want to have all the texture archives extracted at once.

Once you have all necessary space find your current driv3r installation directory and copy it somewhere else on your HDD.

Now you can do what ever you want with this driv3r without affecting your original one. Now you can extract the archives and do whatever you want without ruining your main version.

I guess I pretty much covered what you were going to do any rate.
But soon I think I'll create a more in-depth guide in quick and easy modding. Well it's never quick and it's not always easy but I have some tips which make modding more of a breeze which if I get time I should be posting sometime soon.
By Coyote
(Page 2) JAY wrote:It's nice to see Nice cars in Miami. Which files did you change ?
This is a car from Istanbul.

(Page 2) madness wrote:This is a mod where I made everyone a tanner, it's a good mod for the film director if you wanted to create a movie where everyone had to be tanner.
In Istanbul in the director mode I saw the same, Tanners everywhere lol but it was a bug and not a modd. (PS2)
By madness
I have taken a look through all my old files and found these images which I captured when previously attempting to mod driv3r.

The files comment explains the picture in a little more detail.
By madness
myblueocean wrote:Wasn't there someone at Atari US quite sometime ago who wanted to mod Driv3r.
If you can find more information on this that would be great!
and no I haven't herd anything about this myself.
But if you are able to find some more information that would be great!
By myblueocean
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Um, well. The person was on the US atari forum, and this was a few years back from what I can remember. Nothing really did get done...um, just people all wanting to know how to possibly open the files. Because the guy who made that thread, was saying well if you can Mod GTA, then why not Driv3r.
By madness
oh! you mean cole. I thought you meant a Official Employee.
By Coyote
We are not sure if he's from Atari or Reflections.

Did he come back ? Or did he see our answer ?
By myblueocean
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
madness wrote:oh! you mean cole. I thought you meant a Official Employee.
Yeah that guy. But in the end, modding is slow. And as obvious Atari weren't going to make this game mod properly... :roll:
By madness
Cole wasn't an Official Employee. He is just a member of the community.

Anyways I have gone back to modding driv3r. I have no idea why but for some reason I really prefer to mod driv3r rather than Driver: Parallel Lines.

Driv3r seems to have the unique and stylish feel that I don't usually see as much when playing dpl so I can assure everyone I'm still working hard at modding driv3r.

Now I'm looking more into textures than anything else now, and with the d3modding site back in mind maybe one day I'll get the thing completed and compete out of the way.

If I don't get it completed soon I'll just release all the information I know throughout the modding forum sections.

[hr]

So back to my latest work of art, a custom driv3r loader, every single time you go to load driv3r you can try this modification out just to see something a little different and to promote driver madness a little.

By JAY
Nice. Maybe you could also make some new background videos for the menu.
By madness
I was getting back into some things I had done previously and I was able to achieve this glitch.

Surface Glitch
[youtube]
[/youtube]
By Lseven7
you also seem to be in istanbul with miami cars and boats
By Lseven7
yea!!! please explain :D
By Coyote
wtf ? The video plays in Istanbul but there's music from Miami, what's so difficult to understand ? :lol:
By TheGabo92
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
Coyote wrote:wtf ? The video plays in Istanbul but there's music from Miami, what's so difficult to understand ? :lol:
He want to know how Madness do that... -.-'
By Coyote
oooohhh ! Well he mods the game lol
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]