Discussion for the fan-made game The Driver Syndicate.

Moderator: SOAP

By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
aaro4130 wrote:Impressive project! Is this built upon a scratch engine?
I think it's built on the original...
By Fireboyd78
Theoretically speaking, it is kind of built on the original...the original concept, but the engine itself is scratch made.
By SOAP
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
aaro4130 wrote:Impressive project! Is this built upon a scratch engine?
It's about 5 years of slow hobby development, various FPS games were undone on this engine
Engine started as fork of 3D framework by Emil Persson aka Humus, now it's fully rewritten and heavily evolved.
Driver Syndicate engine uses Bullet Physics for collision detection, but dynamics were made from scratch in order to mimic Driver 2 physics
By chris89
Registration Days Avatar
Thus sounds exciting. Unfortunately i'm not able to play the demo for now (it doesn't work on my laptop), so is anyone willing to upload a gameplay video
from the demo if it's okay for SOAP? I'd love to see some gameplay.

Anyway, keep it up my friend. It's the best thing that happened to the driver series in a long time.
By unbid
Registration Days Posts Avatar
Tried the demo. So far, it was very good and nostalgic.

Anyway, I have several suggestions for the vehicles. Maybe you should add more 70's and 80's 4x4 (Chevy Blazer, Ford Bronco II, Jeep Cherokee), family haulers (Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 1st gen Dodge Caravan, Ford Country Squire), compacts (Pacer, 1st gen Honda Civic, 1st gen Golf), Europeans (W108 Merc, E28 5-Series, any British sports coupe), and Japanese cars (Datsun 280Z, Toyota Celica, Subaru BRAT) into the mix.
Raythewheelman42 liked this
By wrenchead
Registration Days
Holy crap; I love it! I always hoped for a re-mastered DRIVER game, let alone open for modifying via SDK! This is several DRIVER fans' dream! I can't wait to see further progress; it's great so far. :D
By chris89
Registration Days Avatar
Damn i'm getting more and more jealous of you people who can actually play the demo.
I am still not able to make it work and haven't seen any gameplay material :(

Hope there is an update soon. Keep it up SOAP, you rock!
By L33TMaster
Registration Days Posts Avatar
chris89 wrote:Damn i'm getting more and more jealous of you people who can actually play the demo.
I am still not able to make it work and haven't seen any gameplay material :(

Hope there is an update soon. Keep it up SOAP, you rock!
What are your system specs, man.
By Raythewheelman42
Registration Days Posts
unbid wrote:Tried the demo. So far, it was very good and nostalgic.

Anyway, I have several suggestions for the vehicles. Maybe you should add more 70's and 80's 4x4 (Chevy Blazer, Ford Bronco II, Jeep Cherokee), family haulers (Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 1st gen Dodge Caravan, Ford Country Squire), compacts (Pacer, 1st gen Honda Civic, 1st gen Golf), Europeans (W108 Merc, E28 5-Series, any British sports coupe), and Japanese cars (Datsun 280Z, Toyota Celica, Subaru BRAT) into the mix.

I have others suggestions for vehicles like a ferrari testarossa , lamborghini countach , porsche 911 , volvo 240 , ford f-250 ,alpine a110 ,chevy caprice , AMC javelin , Hudson Wasp , Plymouth Reliant K, Dodge Diplomat 1977,Dodge Charger R/T 1970, Plymouth Barracuda , Ford Falcon , Chevy K5 Blazer 1985 , Jaguar Type-E 1965
By SOAP
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
It's been a while since my last message so it's time to report.

Most time I spent for Level Editor programming making it able to build some buildings using pre-modelled parts. Various annoying crashes of the game were fixed. I also worked on mobile port of the game to test capabilities since it is planned and it works well and almost the same as the PC version.

The graphical engine is not complete at all, so the water appears non transparent, no shadows, etc, but these things are easy to add (many work were done before this project started).

But never think about working on this project is very easy. I'd like to say that I did not ever approached this state in the game development before, all my previous projects were ended up pre-alpha, undone things where you can just show the graphics concept but it lacks in gameplay at all. But now I have great tools, have good engine, have descent game which have less than needed content, and the tools going to save my time.
But about the flip side. Every afterwork evening I ended up doing personal stuff, procrastinating and then... working on game.
So I decided to take vacation and finally I had some time to better organize tasks, unwinded and refreshed my mind. This month I went back to work.

I'm reading the forum messages and always storing and combining the ideas you submitting here.

I want to thank everyone who paying attention to this project, I really appreciate your support and proud of what I'm doing.
bb_42001, ASV, PostalDude and 4 Others downloaded liked this
By Kaytomasu
Registration Days Avatar
Hi there ! :D
Thanks to SOAP for this amazing game :D
Hum..Sorry.. i'm new to do a post.. :/

I just made a "Lose the tail" mod and a translation in french, for fun :D

Soap told me to post the mod here, so xD
I'm not really good in programming, i just made the mod in Lua to learn it xD
Sorry for my bad english too, i don't know if what i'm doing is useful.. xD
Here is the link : Download
Have fun with that :D
Peace ! :D
bb_42001 liked this
By Vortex
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts LikeBB Avatar
Nicely done Kaytomasu !

Do you know that there is a website for french fans of Driver too ? It's called driver-dimension et j'aime bien aller sur les deux sites sans vouloir faire ma petite pub, y'a un topic sur le projet, tu pourrais y ajouter ton mod ! :specialdriver:
By Skylabh
Un hélico ? Ca ferait plutôt bizarre dans le jeu. Bon par contre ça serait bien de rester sur l'anglais dans ce forum.
A chopper? It would be rather odd in the game. On the other hand it would be nice to stay with the english language in this forum.
By itchyboy
Registration Days
Well, I havent been on in a while. Saw the recent SOAP vid and am impressed by what I saw. Still interested in making content for this when the SDK is released.

As to vehicles I am considering making, those long lists will need to be narrowed down to 1 or 2 vehicles per 'category' such as fullsize, jap import, euro import, van, compact etc. Maybe SOAD himself may do the vehicles first before I do, who knows.
By cleone
This is literally looking like the Driver we all dreamed of
TheEngiGuy liked this
By Fireboyd78
Wow, this game has come a very long way since the original alpha demo! I will admit though, I kind of miss the "Driver 2 clone" look, I had a lot of fun playing that version (especially multiplayer, it was a dream come true!)

Can't wait to mess around with the SDK, I've got an itch that's been bugging me for years ;)

Keep up the good work, Soap! :D
By MADRASH
Registration Days
Hi everybody, I'm new here and english is not my native language...
So don't be surprise if I make mistakes...

It's been a year now i've played the last demo of Driver Syndicate. And I find this project awesome !
Very promising by the look of it !
I just wanted to tell you some ideas which I had in mind...

Here is some vehicules suggestions :

1. Ramp truck (to jump over)
2. 18 wheeler (Peterbilt 359)
3. Compact (1978 AMC Pacer)
4. Flatbed truck (1979 GMC 7000) (It can carry 3 heavy cement pipes. When the truck hit a solid object or player, cement pipes will fall on the ground.)
5. Station wagon (1975 Ford LTD)
6. Pickup (1972 GMC C-series)
7. School bus (1977 International Harvester Loadstar)
8. Taxi (1978 Chevrolet Caprice)
9. Spécial unit (1970 Mercury Montego) (Unmarked car. More agressive than normal police cars) (Appears when felony is 100%)
10. 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV
11. 2nd police car (1978 Plymouth Fury)
12. Van (1976 Chevrolet Van)
13. Foreign car (1969 Nissan Fairlady)
14. 4x4 (1978 Ford Bronco)
15. Landboat (1972 Cadillac Sedan deVille)
16. City bus (1976 GM TDH 5303)
17. Old car (1957 Chrysler 300c)
18. Muscle car (1971 Plymouth Barracuda)

It would be awesome to have on the cars :

- Chromes reflexions
- More fragments in collision
- Damaged engine sound
- Car on fire when is totaled
- Turn signal (like Driver 1)
- Loosing car parts (bumpers, hoods...)
- When player activate the handbrake, if you accelerate, the car engine will roar.
- Speedometer
- Cruise control

Here is some environement suggestions :

- Golf Course (with bumps, water, sands, grass, destructibles golf caddy...)
- Industrial docks (with containers, wood crates, irons barrels, cranes, boats...)
- Cement canal (like L.A. River)
- Residential (with houses, gardens, wood fences, parked cars with alarms...)
- Airport (with big asphalt zone, big warehouses, some ramps, metal fences, static planes...)
- Rural zone (with barn, static tractor, fields, fences, straw bales, car wrecks, dirt track...)
- Gas station
- Parking lots (with billboards, parking meter, shopping cart...)
- Work area (with bumps, dirt, cement pipes, woods panels, house foundations, building under construction...)
- Desert (with caravans, house wreck, cactus, powerlines, train tracks, small bushes, rocks...)

EDIT :
For the city of "The Driver Syndicate", why not an upgrated version of Miami ?
(I did a mix between Driver 1 and Driv3r Miami maps...)

For exemple :

Keep up the great work, Soap ! :)
Last edited by MADRASH on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]