Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)

Where do you preffer playing Driver1?

Computer
51%
Playstation
49%
By Razor440
Registration Days Posts Avatar
PostalDude wrote:
Fisico9798 wrote:@Razor440 Oh, I probably misunderstood. Sry

Here i found more differents between PC and PS1 from Driver 1.

1. The Soundtrack in the Towns are different between PC and PS1. ( i like ps1 soundtrack more)

2. When you beat the game on PC, you can select all Cars on take a ride. On the PS1 version, it doesn´t work.

3. In the Mission Superfly Drive on PC the mission starts with dusk and in later on the Mission its night. On the PS1 version the mission already starts at night.

4. On the PC version driving around several different NPC cars in the town. On the PS1 version, there are only two different npc car types per town, but with different colors.

5. In the PS1 version the Hollywood Sign from LA did not appear. There is only a wall. On the PC there is the hollywood sign in Los Angeles,

Greetings,
Fisico9798
This is all very well known by now.
Still, they are true and some people don't know some of these things. I didn't know the fifth one.
By Razor440
helegad wrote:I haven't seen the Hollywood sign yet... I have seen the Statue of Liberty in New York though. Is the SoL in the PSX version? I haven't checked.
Image thumbnail

Yes. It's in the PSX and PC version. Let me check the for the Hollywood sign...

EDIT:

Image thumbnail

In the PSX version... :lol: it's this poster of some cowboy dude with the name "Carlito" to the side, and it's located in a generic looking corner that pops up in L.A. 30,000 times during normal gameplay. On the PC version in the same location, it's a nice scenic view of the Hollywood sign, some tables, a parked car...wow...cue the .gif!

Yeah, it's that funny. Such a deep contrast, much wow. :P Interestingly enough, there's a movie called Carlito's Way that came out in 1993, starring Al Pacino and Sean Penn, which takes place in 70's New York. Not exactly sure if this is a nod to the movie or a coincidence.
By somebodynamed
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
the ps1 version felt slow to me, even with epsxe at 4x cpu clock. i prefer 50 fps 1024x768 over 30 fps 320x240 any day! pc version is way better
By LoneWerewolf
Thanks to the music, and gameshark codes, I'd choose PSX version over the PC. Besides, the console edition has those classic Driver textures. On PC, it looks very artificial.
By Krishty
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Razor440 wrote:
helegad wrote:I haven't seen the Hollywood sign yet... I have seen the Statue of Liberty in New York though. Is the SoL in the PSX version? I haven't checked.
Image thumbnail

Yes. It's in the PSX and PC version. Let me check the for the Hollywood sign...

EDIT:

Image thumbnail
Wow, and thanks for those snapshots! I didn't remember the differences were so big. Seems like I should extract the PSX levels as well when I have time.
By somebodynamed
i'm gonna list differences i noticed, listed them in random orders, whatever came to my mind first, there are lots of differences

-more traffic car variety

-no chase and night music

-more cheats

-infinite mass mode (aka freight train)

-rain and thunder sounds

-faster gameplay

-more colorful color pallet for traffic

-car selection

-better framerate

-traffic has no engine sounds

-heavier traffic

-super fly drive starts at dusk instead of night

-new police radio

-access to new castle (via cheats menu)

-felony and damage bars don't flash when high

-peds use 3d models

-car horn is a constant loop

-smoother textures

-different spawn locations

-carnage driving game

-new car reflections

-different car handling

-dispatch voice in some missions (all units in pursuit of the target vehicle)

-dynamic lights for headlights and police lights

-new skybox

-more detailed cities (buildings in the background etc.)

-new police icons on radar

-traffic cars use separate horn sound instead of player's

-higher resolution splash screen and menus

-police lights animation are slower to sync with the siren

-new player car models

-more film director options

-car park and desert training levels have their own music track instead of other cities'

-chase on a monorail mission starts right next to the tram instead of at your motel

-higher resolution overlay map

-can skip splash screens

-LA uses it's own skybox instead of NY's

-more player vehicles vehicles (jaguar Thunderbird etc.)

-bust out jean paul mission uses a van instead of a police car

-more lights in LA

-peds walk faster

-peds turn their heads and look at your car when walking by

-music when inside your motel

-Hollywood sign in LA

-speedometer

-rear view mirror

-new atmosphere (feels brighter)

obviously I prefer the PC version as you can see from all the improvements, it was also the first version of the game i played, it's on my favorite platform, and still works on modern pc's
Last edited by somebodynamed on Sun May 22, 2016 11:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
By helegad
somebodynamed wrote:the ps1 version felt slow to me, even with epsxe at 4x cpu clock. i prefer 50 fps 1024x768 over 30 fps 320x240 any day! pc version is way better
I'm guessing you're playing the PAL version. The NTSC version runs at full speed, but has censored cutscenes.
By somebodynamed
helegad wrote:
somebodynamed wrote:the ps1 version felt slow to me, even with epsxe at 4x cpu clock. i prefer 50 fps 1024x768 over 30 fps 320x240 any day! pc version is way better
I'm guessing you're playing the PAL version. The NTSC version runs at full speed, but has censored cutscenes.
i'm playing NTSC. it runs at 30 fps, it just feels slower than pc, and to prove that i'm on NTSC non of gamersin's cheats work.because they were made for PAL
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]