Discussion for the fan-made game The Driver Syndicate.

Moderator: SOAP

By Vortex
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts LikeBB Avatar
I played the demo Yesterday. It was great !
The feelings of the car are just like the old Driver one, the city is bigger than the last demo i played (the first one) and the visuals are improved too !

The pursuit is very difficult without a map, i tried a few times but i keep failing ! :D
Is there an online version ? I remember that the first demo has it or something like that.

Keep going the good work !
By bibidibabidibu
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
Hi me again :)

I sent some 3dsmax models about rio and miami era. Sadly there is no answer from author and other participants of this project but I decided to send some textures about havana style. There are shops, old style windows, roads, grasses, walls, road signs, sea etc. They could be useful. Here is link =>

http://www.dosya.tc/server6/h4ei3q/textures.rar.html

Have a nice day :)
By cleone
This is looking to be so sick! Keep it up
By arath060
Registration Days Posts Avatar
SOAP wrote:
arath060 wrote:
PostalDude wrote:
SOAP wrote:
arath060 wrote:I'm having an issue where the game does not even start and does absolutely nothing but still shows up in the task manager.
Please look at /logs folder, you'll find Game_<username>.log in there. Can you show me that?
That's the odd thing, I told him to check there last night and there was no log.
Yep no logs.
Is Game.exe shown in windows task manager?
With me this only happen once on other PC when I switched fullscreen and AVG warned me about suspicious activity :?
Damn it slipped my mind that it could've been my anti-virus. I didn't think about it cause it was still popping up in the Task Manager. Runs fine now though, and all I can say is it's absolutely amazing. Well done with this!
By Krishty
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Great gameplay. I like the physics especially; they allow proper rollovers. Driver & Driver 2 used polar angles for physics, and thus had problems with Gimbal Lock.

A suggestion for menus: The animations are pretty, but they cause lots of latency (you can spot the next item to choose only after a one-second animation played). If another keystroke is registered while a menu animation plays, the animation should abort and the menu should be presented in its final state. Normal users won't notice a difference, but those of us who are in a hurry can walk through the menu much much faster.

Apart from that, I enjoy every release. Keep 'em coming! (Y)
By Fireboyd78
Krishty wrote:Great gameplay. I like the physics especially; they allow proper rollovers. Driver & Driver 2 used polar angles for physics, and thus had problems with Gimbal Lock.
Wow, I've always wondered why that happened. Never knew it had a name! Thanks for the info! (Y)
By Krishty
You're welcome. But now that I read it again, I need to correct myself: It wasn't polar angles (as the cars obviously lean while driving curves) but Euler angles.

Anyway. Driver Syndicate does it better :)

P.S.: The copyright notice still says "2015". I recommend using __DATE__ :) And the console doesn't close when it's open while the car is wrecked.
By SOAP
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Krishty wrote:You're welcome. But now that I read it again, I need to correct myself: It wasn't polar angles (as the cars obviously lean while driving curves) but Euler angles.

Anyway. Driver Syndicate does it better :)

P.S.: The copyright notice still says "2015". I recommend using __DATE__ :) And the console doesn't close when it's open while the car is wrecked.
Krishty wrote:A suggestion for menus: The animations are pretty, but they cause lots of latency (you can spot the next item to choose only after a one-second animation played). If another keystroke is registered while a menu animation plays, the animation should abort and the menu should be presented in its final state. Normal users won't notice a difference, but those of us who are in a hurry can walk through the menu much much faster.
Thanks for feedback!
At some time I was inspired by the Metal Gear Solid UI and wanted to make something like this. But in-game menu is untouched by this.
By Krishty
Could it be the collision volumes for the cars are too big? Every so often I drive close to other cars, and my eyes say "no problem", but the car crashes bad.

In the beginning, I thought I was just a bad driver, but now I suspect the cars are 5–10 cm wider that they look …
By SOAP
bibidibabidibu wrote:Hi again;

Here is new textures. There is lots of usefull stuff =>
http://s8.dosya.tc/server/dhl0f1/textures2.rar.html
Hey! Thanks for that I have looked on that and found this very helpful
Krishty wrote:In the beginning, I thought I was just a bad driver, but now I suspect the cars are 5–10 cm wider that they look …
Yes, the margin of collision models was set bigger, there is another problem that convex shapes edges are colliding where they should not
By 65comet
Registration Days Avatar
I finally registered here so I could tell you how awesome the demo is! I'm a huge fan of the first two Driver games, and this game evokes the atmosphere of both of them perfectly. The physics and handling are excellent, maybe even better than the old games, and I love the way the graphics and art assets are done. It really reminds me of the old Driver games except with the polish of much more modern rendering and shading. I can't wait to see what comes next. If I had to suggest new vehicles to add, you should add more station wagons and compacts to traffic, like a big mid-70s Ford Country Squire and of course the Ford Pinto, or AMC Pacer and Gremlin for compact cars. Keep up the good work
By Wheels
PostalDude wrote:Welcome to DM, and I totally agree, game needs some every day 60's-70's landyachts and compacts.
I agree as well.
By cleone
Are you planning on including controller and wheel support?
By SOAP
cleone wrote:Are you planning on including controller and wheel support?
Controllers are supported, however, it's unfinished (menus not working, and need for various controller variations, custom binding, etc.)
By cleone
SOAP wrote:
cleone wrote:Are you planning on including controller and wheel support?
Controllers are supported, however, it's unfinished (menus not working, and need for various controller variations, custom binding, etc.)
Awesome sh*t! :mrgreen:
By itchyboy
Registration Days
The demo is very nice. It brings back the nostalgia from the 1st and especially the 2nd game. I absolutely can't wait for modding. I have so many of my car models I could port into the game. They might be new cars but I think a mod could work out for such vehicles.

I specialize in emergency vehicles though, not civilian vehicles. I assume it will probably be just the same.

Perhaps bring back this vehicle from D2 Chicago?

What are the tehcnical specs in regards to the models btw? Polycounts? Use of spec/bump maps, or the number of textures used? I am in the the position to donate one or two models from my existing range, unfortunately it is mostly emergency service vehicles.
Last edited by itchyboy on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By itchyboy
Registration Days
PostalDude wrote:That white LTD.............YES.
Just the kind of car TDS needs.
Even the modern meshes look nice, I dig your choice in artstyle/polycount.
Thanks. The vehicles are modifications for a game called '911 First Responders'. I am kinda paused with my project while I am waiting on someone else to pull their weight on the project. Can't really do much progress when everyone else on the team is in school. The game is a top down RTS, so the models most likely wont have enough detail for a 3rd person driving game. A preview of how the game is usually played. The vast majority of what I make are emergency service vehicles, so I would consider 60's-80's American cars as a break from the blinky light squad. I want some variance in my life.
[Disclaimer, not all of the vehicles and game assets seen in that pic are mine, but the majority are]

I would actually feel better modelling older vehicles, because they are considerably easier than modern cars. I haven't been in the mood to do modelling in quite a while and feel that a change of pace (and game) would be what I'd need to get back into the swing of things. This 2013 Honda has been idle for months now due to lack of time and also motivation.

For once, someone isnt giving me sh*t for having solid textured vehicles. I appreciate the feedback. My polycounts are in the 2k-3k range, and usually uses at most 2 textures for normal vehicles. Large applications like delivery trucks, buses, and fire engines, requre the use of up to 4.

The LTD is the only pre 1999 car I've ever laid hands on. I'd be more than happy to give it, as long as I know what needs to be done to the model so that it can be put into TDS. I have experience with low/midpoly items of all kinds, vehicles, buildings, random objects.

Other examples I've done for 911FR

I've been a long time Driver series fan since around 2002. The least I can do is to pump out a few classic cars that I've always wanted to see being brought back in a 2016 context. This game has a lot of potential as being a continuation of the series now that Ubi has decided to kil the IP. Somewhere out there Gareth Edmondson probably wants to see this kind of game being put out. If not for PC's, then for mobiles perhaps.

Consider me to be a generous donator trying to support this indie project.
By PostalDude
Yep, 911 First Responders is known as Emergency 4 outside of the US. Great game, a buddy of mine is a huge fan of it.
"This game has a lot of potential as being a continuation of the series now that Ubi has decided to kil the IP."
Exactly my thoughts, SOAP is more or less Driver's savior.
Funnily enough, 2002-2003 is around the time I got hooked on the Driver series also.
By itchyboy
Registration Days
PostalDude wrote:Yep, 911 First Responders is known as Emergency 4 outside of the US. Great game, a buddy of mine is a huge fan of it.
"This game has a lot of potential as being a continuation of the series now that Ubi has decided to kil the IP."
Funnily enough, 2002-2003 is around the time I got hooked on the Driver series also.
Am not from US, but I do know that fact about the game names. The game more or less is kinda irrelevant now that the community has canibalized itself really. All of the real nice modders who were professional and actually did models, coding, and other awesome things have been driven away by the vocal people who just want mods regardless of stolen content, or rehashed content. This is why I'd rather find a more worthwhile project. I am one of the many 'up' level modders who fled after the whole 'stealing 3d models and meshes is ok because the car design isnt yours' logic.

I had to pull the plug on all of my public modding projects because I was seeing my stuff being slinged around like cocaine. I took down all of my downloads as well and me and several other authors bid the place farewell. The only thing we do nowadays is try to assist the ones who are still remaining in the losing fight. All of the exodus modders have closed their projects, I am the only one left with an actively running private project.

My own Em4 modding project is on the edge of either being abandoned, or continuing. It all comes down to my team members if they are willing to put in more time or not. I absolutely do not rush them and let them mod whenever they feel comfortable in doing so. I unfortunately have no luck as all are in school and I think summer in the US is still 7 months away. I am using the 7 months or so of me being idle as an excuse to come over here and try to help when my free time allows me to

I want to see this project succeed and I will do what I am able to for it to be such. Anybody have an idea of the timeframe of the years this game takes place in so I can knock out 1 mesh/model as a test? Probably going to do one of the other playable cars from D2, or the many civ cars in D1
By PostalDude
itchyboy wrote:
PostalDude wrote:Yep, 911 First Responders is known as Emergency 4 outside of the US. Great game, a buddy of mine is a huge fan of it.
Am not from US, but I do know that fact about the game names. The game more or less is kinda irrelevant now that the community has canibalized itself really. All of the real nice modders who were professional and actually did models, coding, and other awesome things have been driven away by the vocal people who just want mods regardless of stolen content, or rehashed content. This is why I'd rather find a more worthwhile project. I am one of the many 'up' level modders who fled after the whole 'stealing 3d models and meshes is ok because the car design isnt yours' logic.

I had to pull the plug on all of my public modding projects because I was seeing my stuff being slinged around like cocaine. I took down all of my downloads as well and me and several other authors bid the place farewell. The only thing we do nowadays is try to assist the ones who are still remaining in the losing fight. All of the exodus modders have closed their projects, I am the only one left with an actively running private project.

My own Em4 modding project is on the edge of either being abandoned, or continuing. It all comes down to my team members if they are willing to put in more time or not. I absolutely do not rush them and let them mod whenever they feel comfortable in doing so. I unfortunately have no luck as all are in school and I think summer in the US is still 7 months away. I am using the 7 months or so of me being idle as an excuse to come over here and try to help when my free time allows me to

I want to see this project succeed and I will do what I am able to for it to be such. Anybody have an idea of the timeframe of the years this game takes place in so I can knock out 1 mesh/model as a test? Probably going to do one of the other playable cars from D2, or the many civ cars in D1
Yeah, from my personal experience "big" modding scenes for any game ex GTA are pretty cancerous.
"I want to see this project succeed and I will do what I am able to for it to be such".
Ditto.
By SOAP
itchyboy wrote:The demo is very nice. It brings back the nostalgia from the 1st and especially the 2nd game. I absolutely can't wait for modding. I have so many of my car models I could port into the game. They might be new cars but I think a mod could work out for such vehicles.

<cut images>

What are the tehcnical specs in regards to the models btw? Polycounts? Use of spec/bump maps, or the number of textures used? I am in the the position to donate one or two models from my existing range, unfortunately it is mostly emergency service vehicles.
Thanks for that! Polycount is not very important unless you not doing it for mobile version. I didn't used bump maps in this project, but if I'll do this then it will be only used for damaged models.
Seems like I need to release SDK for game :) And I'll do it soon as possible. Many games staying alive longer when they're have modding support.
Which modelling software you use? I can only offer the Blender 2.5x exporter plugin and few examples with cars, static and dynamic objects and how to put them into the game. This process looks like it was in early Source Engine.
By itchyboy
Registration Days
Thanks for that! Polycount is not very important unless you not doing it for mobile version. I didn't used bump maps in this project, but if I'll do this then it will be only used for damaged models.
Seems like I need to release SDK for game :) And I'll do it soon as possible. Many games staying alive longer when they're have modding support.
Which modelling software you use? I can only offer the Blender 2.5x exporter plugin and few examples with cars, static and dynamic objects and how to put them into the game. This process looks like it was in early Source Engine.
I use Zmodeler 2.08. I model all of my stuff there to the best of my ability. Well, since you are using Blender, this might be a bit of a challenge. Could I in theory send a vehicle in say, .3ds format, then you import it onto Blender, then you set it up for the game? It would work like this:

Make model of car -> export as 3ds -> you recieve it, then set it up -> you export it onto TDS

Another option would be for me to learn Blender, but that would massively increase the time it will take for me to do anything.

Update, started Dodge B van model. My favorite (slow) vehicle in Chicago. I might be doing this wrong, but idk yet, will wait on SOAP's response.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]