Modding discussion for Driver 2.
By Thibeault94
Registration Days Avatar
I created these shots using Gamersin's models and a sample map I created. I thought it would be unique to give the visuals of the classic Driver 2 a slight update, while greatly increasing the capabilities of the game-play. I grew up on the first two installments of the Driver series and just found out about this great forum today. I had this idea for quite awhile and was hoping to find people who would be willing to put in the work with me.

Last edited by Thibeault94 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
VAIMAHDO wrote:I was about to say "Oh great, here goes another failed project.." Then I seen those screenshots, excellent work! This is a project I would like to participate in.
Hahah yeah I definitely seen a few other project ideas that didn't go anywhere when I browsed the forum. I'm glad to see you guys are interested. As far as designing goes, I design automotive components for a company that exports to the Middle-East, I'm well trained in the software I use and always have extra time to work on something like this. A big part I need help with is getting the designs into an engine, I know the software can easily be used with Javascript, though I'm unsure if its usable with C++. If you guys, or anyone you know are knowledgeable in those fields please let me know! As far as designing goes, I could always use extra help in that field as well!
max.thunder wrote:This looks great!
Thank you! Like I said in my last post, I'm an experienced designer, but very inexperienced with game engines. I intend on making this project a reality, and I do have time to allocate to it, I just need to find some people on here who can lend a hand in the project. So if you or anyone you know wants to be a part of it please let me know.

Things I have planned and need:

- Unique map, not constantly repetitive. Since original Driver games were just textures making buildings, I think it would be perfect fill the map with buildings made for google maps. They are textured alike a Driver game. I could always use help expanding on the small strip I built for this concept. That would entail just making streets and filling in buildings.

- More cars. What I have already is 20 cars, all from the driver series. If we could get the rest of the cars from the first two games that would be awesome. I had initially planned for the game to feature used car lots, in which you could purchase a personal vehicle. Perhaps you would start off with the Ford Elite and you could go to a lot and buy the Skylark or the Chevelle.

- Houses. Maybe it would be going to far, but I think the purpose of this whole game is to give this universe an enhanced game-play and keep the nostalgic graphics. There could be suburban areas on the map, just like there is in Driver, but you could start off with a home or apartment, I don't think it would have to have interior or anything, but just a place to perhaps store one or two vehicles.

- What I really need is for the word to get out on this forum so people with experience in game engines can see it. I can learn just about any software there is but I really don't want to do this alone!
DatDirtyBananas wrote:So what game engine are you planning to use?
I know people have made some great stuff with jME, which is Java, and that works directly with the files of the software I used to make these shots.
Not sure What happened to my original photos, but heres and up date: New Cars!
But listen up! I'm going to need a lot of help with this, building the map and help with jME. So if you can help, let me know, the more help we get the faster we can get a finished product.
Image[/img]
By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
OMG, DO NOT ABANDON THIS. WE HAD A DRIVER 2 PROJECT THAT WAS ABANDONED. I WANT TO SEE A DRIVER 2 REMAKE. DO NOT ABANDON THIS!!!

Btw, excellent work! :mrgreen: (Y)
By Ss4gogeta0
Registration Days Posts Posts
Wheels wrote:OMG, DO NOT ABANDON THIS. WE HAD A DRIVER 2 PROJECT THAT WAS ABANDONED. I WANT TO SEE A DRIVER 2 REMAKE. DO NOT ABANDON THIS!!!

mine wasnt abandoned tho... :|

its just on hold until I can find a decent map importer who wont run out on me like the previous one did....
By Wheels
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Wheels wrote:OMG, DO NOT ABANDON THIS. WE HAD A DRIVER 2 PROJECT THAT WAS ABANDONED. I WANT TO SEE A DRIVER 2 REMAKE. DO NOT ABANDON THIS!!!

its just on hold until I can find a decent map importer who wont run out on me like the previous one did....
No, I was using this page as an example. That got abandoned. Where did you get the idea yours wasn't abandoned?
By Ss4gogeta0
Registration Days Posts Posts
Wheels wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:

No, I was using this page as an example. That got abandoned. Where did you get the idea yours wasn't abandoned?
well i guess they abandoned theirs.. happens, it looked nice though and they should have continued but they must have their reasons...

anyway i was just referring to my project of working Driver 2 cities in GTA San Andreas... ive been trying to port them myself, but of course the lack of tutorials on porting objects into renderware is kind of annoying..
By Wheels
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Wheels wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:

well i guess they abandoned theirs.. happens, it looked nice though and they should have continued but they must have their reasons...

anyway i was just referring to my project of working Driver 2 cities in GTA San Andreas... ive been trying to port them myself, but of course the lack of tutorials on porting objects into renderware is kind of annoying..
Ehh, well. Welcome to the internet. As crowded as New York City.
After years of Hiatus, lost files, and road blocks. I have returned to work on this project. I have recently put some time in on a expanding on a few ideas I had before. One being first person view modes, much like the ones in Twisted Metal 1. I feel this style of pix-elated view didn't get used in many games considering the jump to second gen consoles was closing in, and I think it will make the player feel additional ownership over their vehicles.

I have put hours in on trying to pull the Chicago map to edit to in OBJ format, but unfortunately this task has proven more than difficult. I attempted with several modded maps as well such as the one made for BeamNG. I could really use some help with this, any way here's a shot of the FP view in the Buick GSX . If you have any questions or have any help of insight, please let me know.

By Vortex
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts LikeBB Avatar
Hi, nice to see you back !

I remember being hyped for this thread years ago :D

And the new shot is cool ! You can surely get help from Skylab in that matter or any other member of DM.
helegad wrote:I still don't get this. Are you making this game, like coding and stuff, or just putting together concept art for people to work from?
I am able to work with some of the content already available through other peoples work. Most of what I posted the first time was concept stuff I had put together a few years ago so that I could drum up some interest to get some help, unfortunately not a lot of help was given and I lost time/interest. What I've been working on more recently is making textures. I really have no interest in doing it all solo as that would take an eternity, and no thanks. Essentially I'm working on content, and do need assistance with coding, and making the content into a functioning body of work, I don't think its quite there yet to start all that as I still have a lot to do and figure out. I'm trying to put time into this while running a business and keeping up with the real world, so its slow going. So, pretty much, if you've got a skill to offer to this, great, if not, it might just end up back on the shelf.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]