Modding discussion for DRIV3R.
Update: The development menu is permanently disabled. No debugging functions are left in the game. This means the development menu is permanently disabled and will never function again. Ever. It cannot be fixed. Sorry!

I'm sure many of you are aware of the development menu. Don't get too excited, but I have a feeling the development can be fully functioning again with some modifications. I've already hex edited the actual "Development" menu button back into existence, and clicking on it will bring up that weird menu that says "Renderer" and "Game" however the menus inside are a bunch of 0's that don't do anything. Obviously the development was turned off somehow, and I spent quite a bit of my time trying to figure out what is disabling the menu.

If anyone is interested in investigating this further, my modified file is attached. I am 100% confident the functions for the development menu still exist, they're just disabled like how the button was removed from the menu. Please note that you cannot move up in the menu with the arrow keys properly, due to the menu being hacked back into existence in the first place. If you decide to take things further I highly recommend using my file as a reference only - I may have modified something that wasn't supposed to be modified and may create a roadblock for future attempts at bringing the menu back to life.

Other than that, I got nothing. This is the only evidence of a "Debug/Developer" menu. AND IT'S BROKEN! GAHHH

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69162797/Pause.zip
By Olanov
"You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post."

Developement menu is not the only thing broken.

Nice job though! There's so many interesting things still in this game to be discovered, or at least to get properly working.
By PostalDude
RacingFreak wrote:
Olanov wrote: Developement menu is not the only thing broken.
The whole game is.
The site won't let him download an attachement, thus why he said that. :P
By Fireboyd78
Woops! I forgot the attachments here on Driver Madness are all borked to hell...the time will come eventually to fix all of that along with other things. In the meantime, here is a working download link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69162797/Pause.zip

Goes in Territory/[locale]/GUI folder. Be sure to make backups!
By Fireboyd78
Further investigations show that the development menu has indeed been taken out permanently. There are no references to debug commands in the EXE, which is a crucial part of how the menu system works in game. Sorry guys.
By VAIMAHDO
We cant look at this as if theres a huge chance of not being able to get this menu working. Im not a profecional game maker or coder (I know nothing about coding). But I've studied DRIV3R so greatly to understand it (In game not code) Like how things work in a developer's view. But anyway this menu CAN be brought back into working order. I can help whenever I gain knolege of making games rather then just modeling. I have seen mistaken screenshots of Driv3r in development. It seems the game was made with polygons and windows 95,98,2000, or me. It was interesting to see driv3r beta.. But on windows me and down? wow. I think you guys can get this menu working unstable! Unstable, but working. My guess is its missing that program... Heres the one screenshot. amazing. (It will be up for only 30 days after I post this because of the site im using does that unless someone views it). http://imm.io/1gXUV
By Fireboyd78
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:We cant look at this as if theres a huge chance of not being able to get this menu working. Im not a profecional game maker or coder (I know nothing about coding). But I've studied DRIV3R so greatly to understand it (In game not code) Like how things work in a developer's view. But anyway this menu CAN be brought back into working order. I can help whenever I gain knolege of making games rather then just modeling. I have seen mistaken screenshots of Driv3r in development. It seems the game was made with polygons and windows 95,98,2000, or me. It was interesting to see driv3r beta.. But on windows me and down? wow. I think you guys can get this menu working unstable! Unstable, but working. My guess is its missing that program... Heres the one screenshot. amazing. (It will be up for only 30 days after I post this because of the site im using does that unless someone views it). http://imm.io/1gXUV
I understand what you're trying to say, but you admitted it pretty early on you have no idea how to code or make games. On the other hand, I do have some experience with both of these (not a professional by any means), and I can safely assure you and everyone else here that the development menu in DRIV3R is...permanently disabled. I've spent many hours searching for any signs of life that may have been leftover in regards to the debug menu. Unfortunately there is nothing left. All debug functions have been removed from the game. The only thing that remains in the game is the GUI we've seen many times over, the "Renderer" and "Game" options with the huge list of zeroes...yes, it is broken. No, we cannot fix it.

There is no fixing it. Sorry.
Bump and I guess this is slightly off-topic as well, however, did we ever look into the debug menu on Driver Parallel Lines? I know we discoveted that GUI of it they left behind but is it actually disabled in the same manner?
Olanov wrote:Bump and I guess this is slightly off-topic as well, however, did we ever look into the debug menu on Driver Parallel Lines? I know we discoveted that GUI of it they left behind but is it actually disabled in the same manner?
I had managed to get it enabled, but clicking on it resulted in the game crashing. I don't know if that one is fixable...
Ah, as that no longer working picture I posted shows a Mr.Roadbuilder program that I think Relfections used/made as their modeling engine. I've searched all over the internet for 2 months now and found nothing. I think theres a possibility to import the developer menu in a program like blender or maya, I know Reflections used maya for their cutscenes. If anything in so many years from now I could rebuild the developer menu... From scratch... All I know is the game was made with polygons instead of coding which is where you draw a 2D image on paper measure it and multiply it by blah to transfer it to pixels.... But I'm pretty sure polygons were used. Also another thought, Driv3r on ps2 is far more glitch and there are may things left in there that the PC version doesn't have... Mabey its time to look at the disc from the consoles... i'll try all I can to see what's on the ps2 one. I know on the ps2 some areas aren't solids and you can go right through them, also there's a vehicle I once seen very far away when I was flying around Nice, It didn't look like a normal car to me, but it was so far away I couldn't see it very well. I will find it again and show you all the mysterious car that was off map.. But that was 2 years ago when I seen that... I cant remember where it was. Time to start glitching out of the map again.. :specialdriver:
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:Ah, as that no longer working picture I posted shows a Mr.Roadbuilder program that I think Relfections used/made as their modeling engine. I've searched all over the internet for 2 months now and found nothing. I think theres a possibility to import the developer menu in a program like blender or maya
If they have removed necessary parts for it to even function, I highly doubt we would be able to just "import" something in and expect it to work. I'm no expert at this, but I could imagine.

For one, I don't think we have the knowledge and tools to even do it as of now. Perhaps not for a long time, if ever. I'm sure it would also require some highly advanced scripting and what not.

Secondly, how on earth can you suggest we could use something specifically meant for modelling to put the developement menu back in? I'm pretty certain that would require extensive use of scripting, rather than modelling unless I'm missing something here.

I believe you should just take CarLuver's word for it. He may not be a professional, but he does have a lot of experience with Driv3r related stuff, especially when it comes to modding.
Ture. But in the future im going to make my own games with C++ or whatever its called, and eventually I might be able to understand the menu or just make an "EDIT3R" program to just mess stuff up in driver 3 easily, flying taxis, ram spawning, and Id love to get an ability to no clip or disable collisions and well... Discov3r!
One question for CarLuver69, how did edit anything, notpad doesn't read any files correctly that aren't made on notepad, what did you use to open them? Im going to start exploring the ps2 version and modding it. (Of course I copied it off my original disc to prevent damage.. :arrow:
I'm fairly certain CarLuver69 uses Hex editors to fiddle with the game. That's what I always thought.

Also, just a small note to have a better etiquette: it's no big deal but you might want to learn to edit your posts in the future instead of just making posts one after another. It's easier for the reader and makes everything that bit more tidy, thank you.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]