Because video games are fun.
By TheEngiGuy
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I just watched the last Watch Dogs gameplay they've published, and in this video you can see Aiden Pierce driving a car (I waited a long time for this :specialdriver: )

It starts at 4:50

Actually I see the driving mode is very stiff, like the one in True Crime: Streets of LA. The acceleration of the car seems to be a bit odd as well. I know this is an alpha version, so I hope they will improve those things (after all, it is made by Ubisoft Reflections...)
The crashes and crash physics seem to be fine though. For me, a driving game is nothing without crashes :lol:

What are your thoughts on this?
By Olanov
Gunplay, sneakin' around and driving seems like a lot of fun and fiddlin' with the technical stuff but the police radio is tad bit disappointing.

"Squad, we are on...", "Squad, blah blah blah", that alone just makes me want to puke. No use of ten codes so far either. They also don't sound that immersive, when compared to the older Need for Speeds for an exmaple. I mean, they're in the heat of the moment but they just sound like they're on a relaxing Sunday morning drive.
These guys actually know the lingo, they just talk like cops, it seems much more realistic. And they're not talking to any "squads" either, lol. I know it's more of a side thing, but even still. I'm a guy who pays attention to those little things. Oh well, 'least it's better than the one in DSF.

Even something simple as this sounds more authenthic.
Yeah, hope that the driving is improved.
Olanov wrote:
These guys actually know the lingo, they just talk like cops, it seems much more realistic. And they're not talking to any "squads" either, lol. I know it's more of a side thing, but even still. I'm a guy who pays attention to those little things. Oh well, 'least it's better than the one in DSF.

Even something simple as this sounds more authenthic.
NFS Most Wanted for me was one of the most inmersive games in terms of police chatter when you're in a chase, and cops doing tactic manoeuvres. You could feel the tension when being in a chase, and the score of the game is work of art.
By TheEngiGuy
Yeah. NFS Most Wanted chases are really immersive, and the intelligent police AI doing tactics, organizing themselves... It's just gold.
That awkward moment when a game has better movie-like chases than Driver.
By Olanov
TheEngiGuy wrote:Yeah. NFS Most Wanted chases are really immersive, and the intelligent police AI doing tactics, organizing themselves... It's just gold.
That awkward moment when a game has better movie-like chases than Driver.
I know, right? :?
By Badnick24
If it's an alpha version, I think they'll improve it. With this much hype over the game, and Reflections on the job, I don't see why they wouldn't.
By Coyote
With Reflections on the job I see very much why this is certainly not an "alpha", they obviously want to keep Driver the game with the best driving / chase / drift physics, if Watch Dogs had the same physics, Driver would loose half it's charm. Well, obviously you have the licensed cars in Driver now, which is still a huge advantage.
By Coyote
Alpha, Beta… all of that doesn't exist, you people should stop naming these like that, because it's wrong. And what is a "Beta Disc"? If you're talking about the demo, say demo ;) There's no "Beta Demo" or "Beta Disc" for normal gamers, just sometimes (which is normal), it happens that there is some differences in a demo compared to the final game. There's nothing wrong with that, that's why it's a demo.

And "alpha" stands for "A" which is the first letter of the alphabet, so it would be hinting at the earliest possible development stage of a project, which we probably get to see in 0.1% of the games, so we can't talk about that :)

The driving is certainly not in "alpha stage", because alpha stage at this point would be the first ideas on a paper and some drawings on how the cars should handle.

Probably it will get polished, yes, but I highly doubt that it will change a lot.

BTW, was the handling in the DSF demo different? Because a friend told me that it was not like in the final game. Several people I know didn't want to buy the game because of that, that kind of explains it now.
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:BTW, was the handling in the DSF demo different? Because a friend told me that it was not like in the final game. Several people I know didn't want to buy the game because of that, that kind of explains it now.
I don't recall the handling being much different at all.
By Coyote
I just watched a video of the demo and it's hard to tell. I have the feeling that Tanner's Challenger is less drifty. Also one thing is sure: in the race mission, you're driving a Nissan GT-R and a Chevrolet Camaro, in the final game it's all japanese cars and you drive a Skyline (and a GT-R I believe) against two 370Z's.

The other cars in the demo are a Corvette and a Dodge Charger.
By Badnick24
i still don't think that Reflections will leave it that bad. Driving is their specialty. It would be bad for their business to make a mess of it.
By Coyote
Well, for us it might look bad, but for the average GTA-dumbass-player, that's the way cars should handle. Allowing you to take 90° corners at full speed of course. Ha I see that so often in DSF, love it when people don't know how to brake and everyone smashes into a wall when they're after me :lol:
By Fab2cent
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Coyote wrote:Well, for us it might look bad, but for the average GTA-dumbass-player, that's the way cars should handle.
:lol: it's funny to play splitscreen or multi with a gta player in driver

just played sleeping dogs again (the driving in the video looks like the driving from sleeping dogs), so bad. I cant play driving games with bland driving, i REALLY hope they improve this :(
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:Well, for us it might look bad, but for the average GTA-dumbass-player, that's the way cars should handle. Allowing you to take 90° corners at full speed of course. Ha I see that so often in DSF, love it when people don't know how to brake and everyone smashes into a wall when they're after me :lol:
'Cept if you try to take a corner in IV at full speed!

You're designated to hit the nearest wall/lamp post. Brakes are your best friend. Sadly it is true. I see a lot of mongs just try to take corners at full speed. Not sure if it's because they're panicing since I'm coming up after them in a police cruiser or if they're just dumb but... God works in mysterious ways.
Fab2cent wrote: just played sleeping dogs again (the driving in the video looks like the driving from sleeping dogs), so bad. I cant play driving games with bland driving, i REALLY hope they improve this :(
My God, don't remind me of that game. Still haven't finished it, simply because the driving makes me want to throw up each time.
By Badnick24
I was just playing The Getaway recently. Played some driving missions. If Watch Dogs's driving is anything like that, it'll be bad for Reflections. Don't let us down please!
By Coyote
Badnick24 wrote:I was just playing The Getaway recently. Played some driving missions. If Watch Dogs's driving is anything like that, it'll be bad for Reflections. Don't let us down please!
I played it too a year ago or so. When I was small it was THE game in my eyes, the most realistic it could ever get and pretty much the best classic out there. And I can tell you, it was a shock for me when I played it again. I haven't touched it again since then because all the beautiful memories suddenly got overwritten by new, very bad moments. The driving is some of the worse seen in any game. Actually it's all because of DSF. It was my first next-generation game, and obviously it had this wow-effect for me. The driving physics are so incredibly good in Driver SF, that it's hard to return to older games. That's when you realise that even games like The Getaway, which you thought to be a timeless classic, appear to be completely dated 10 years later. That's why I don't suggest anyone playing games with which they share great memories after a long while, or all of these will get lost. I also had a similar feeling with Vice City, especially because the handling was so rude compared to SA. And the graphics, ugh… better play Vice City Rage in that case :)
Coyote wrote:That's why I don't suggest anyone playing games with which they share great memories after a long while, or all of these will get lost. I also had a similar feeling with Vice City, especially because the handling was so rude compared to SA. And the graphics, ugh… better play Vice City Rage in that case)
I agree with you, is like watching a film, the 1st experience is amazing because is something new but the second time isn't the same. In games there's another factor, like technology development, newer games are way more advanced and playing older games can be dissapointing sometimes comparing to the new versions. But in some cases there are games that for some of us never lose its appeal, and after all these years we still give a look into them because we like them no mather what new game comes out.
By Badnick24
Coyote wrote:
Badnick24 wrote:I was just playing The Getaway recently. Played some driving missions. If Watch Dogs's driving is anything like that, it'll be bad for Reflections. Don't let us down please!
I played it too a year ago or so. When I was small it was THE game in my eyes, the most realistic it could ever get and pretty much the best classic out there. And I can tell you, it was a shock for me when I played it again. I haven't touched it again since then because all the beautiful memories suddenly got overwritten by new, very bad moments. The driving is some of the worse seen in any game. Actually it's all because of DSF. It was my first next-generation game, and obviously it had this wow-effect for me. The driving physics are so incredibly good in Driver SF, that it's hard to return to older games. That's when you realise that even games like The Getaway, which you thought to be a timeless classic, appear to be completely dated 10 years later. That's why I don't suggest anyone playing games with which they share great memories after a long while, or all of these will get lost. I also had a similar feeling with Vice City, especially because the handling was so rude compared to SA. And the graphics, ugh… better play Vice City Rage in that case :)
i actually only got the Getaway about a year ago. Found it at pawn shop and thought it looked cool :D While the gameplay is bad, I still really liked its story!

I'm off topic aren't I...
By Coyote
I actually loved the gameplay, people found it to be clunky at the time, but it never bothered me, once you knew your way around, it was normal.

And I do agree that some games don't loose this aspect, for example Driver 1, which has to be the best example. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I expect less of this game, because I know it's older and from a different generation. Probably also because when I play it, then usually on PCSX, where I play it on a smaller window. When I play PS2 games on my TV they look horrible because my Television is way too big for those games, they don't even have such a high resolution. Even though I've once played Driver 2 on it (via PCSX, with the computer connected to the TV), and to be honest, it didn't look bad at all :)

And yes, we're off topic… :mrgreen:
By TheEngiGuy
In one part, this is disappointing. I like this game and I wanted it to come out. On the other hand, it's better this way so they can fix, tweak and improve stuff.
By Coyote
Nikusakken wrote:Not so surprising news.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/18/ ... e=facebook
Well it came out in the end and was called DSF. Basically they started working on a Driver game, then it evolved into something very different, which was DSF. To not throw away the lots of money that went into the early development of DSF, they recycled their ideas and turned it into another game. And then there's The Crew. Even more DSF-recycled! That's how it works these days, all in order to save money, develop one game and call them 3 :lol:
That guy won the bet.

It's a shame that the project undergone so much changes. I wish we could see a next game Driver set in Chicago and back to the roots but it seems that it will be a long wait again for the fans.
By pete
max.thunder wrote:I wish we could see a next game Driver set in Chicago and back to the roots but it seems that it will be a long wait again for the fans.
Actually They considered DSF to be "back to the roots" and fanservice, so if they do make another Driver, it won't be much different.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]