Post your wishes and/or speculations for any future/upcoming DRIVER games.
Forum rules: This forum is for posting fan-created wishes and rumors/speculation for a possible next-gen DRIVER game. All information is to be considered speculation and should not be taken as fact.
By Steerclear
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Couple of questions:
1. What do you think they should call it? (Based off the city name like 'San Francisco' or just simply Driver 6 or any other)

2. What city would you like it to be?

3. What cars (that hadn't been in San Francisco) would you like in it?

4. Should they include shift again.

For me:

1. Name it off the city again.

2. Miami, even though it has appeared in Driver games multiple times already.

3. Classic Mini Cooper ;)

4. No, maybe as a mini- game or something.
By Fireboyd78
I personally feel they should call it "Driver", because there's nothing wrong with using the same name twice. It would basically be a proper reboot of the series that takes place in Miami, featuring Tanner as he looked in DSF but with some hints of the old Driver 2/DRIV3R Tanner. The cars wouldn't be licensed, but rather a mixture of every car seen in a Driver game, with some taken out so as not to clutter the game with thousands of cars. The gameplay would be both driving and on-foot action, playing out similarly to DRIV3R. But this time, instead of just randomly shooting people, going here, going there, the game takes a more dynamic mission approach (similar to that of GTA), with the main goal being to take down Castaldi, who was recently released from prison due to a loophole in the legal system.

So to summarize:

1. Driver
2. Miami
3. A wide variety of cars seen in Driver 1 - Driver: Parallel Lines
4. Absolutely not.
By Steerclear
Some good points there. A proper reboot could boost the sales, as some people didn't like San Fran because of the whole shift thing. (I didn't mind it, but it certainly doesn't belong in a Driver game) However I would prefer licensed cars in the game as that is what most driving or racing games have in them now. Seems as though they had it it San Fran it would be weird to take it out for the follow up. But, they'd be all classic cars as I assume when you mean re-boot you mean that it takes place back in the 70's or whenever the first Driver took place. But I agree with everything else you said. :)
By max.thunder
In my opinion:

The game would be called Driver: Tanner's Revenge

Cities: Chicago, San Francisco, Moscow

Cars: Unlicensed cars, customizable

Shift: should be included as an feature after completing the game or used in multiplayer matches

Here you can watch my point of view about the game before Driver SF release.

Other features:
Coop mode with Tobias Jones
1st and 3rd person view (also in car)
The storyline is about the guys who bought the stolen cars in Driv3r, he must find them.
More focus on driving rather than on foot, game should be more focused with car chases shootings (less static shootings). I also would include on foot chases with jumping fences,etc.
Able to arrest suspects. (side missions)

Also the storyline could be focused on Tanner's life before and after joining the police (the game title would be changed and most features)
Tanner Driv3r character profile
By Steerclear
Interesting stuff.

I like that point of view of yours about SF way before the release and noticing some similarities at the beginning of it. 6 months after Driv3r for example and the 1970 Dodge Challenger at the top of the list.
By RacingFreak
Most likey the next driver would include Los Angeles, if you note through back, DRIV3R featured Miami, DPL featured New York and now DSF. So logically the only city from the original Driver that isnt made in a new game is Los Angeles :)
By Coyote
Yeah, but Driver 3 also had Nice and Istanbul which weren't featured in the first Driver game :P I think L.A. could be cool, but I'd prefer to see some others cities that we haven't seen yet.

1. They should call it Driver 4, or Driver: [City]. I don't really care what it's called as long as it's a good game :) Oh and, I highly doubt it's going to be called Driver 6 :lol: That would be like calling GTA 4 GTA 9 or something!

2. Chicago would be interesting, but it's already featured in Watch Dogs so that's a no. Another I've been thinking of for a long time is Washington. There could be lots of President-related missions :D

3. I'd like to see more every-day US cars. I like those cars like the Dodge Neon, the Dodge Grand Caravan Taxi, the Chevrolet Impala, the Chevrolet Volt, the Crown Victoria, the GMC Savana, the GMC Ambulance also. They're all amazing! Then, I want to see even more classics and muscle cars of course. And also, more variations of cars. I'm missing a stretched Town Car in DSF!

4. If you believe the next Driver will not have shift, then you're dreaming haha :D They just found this fantastic feature that made the game so lively, you don't think they're going to drop it, are you? I'm for shift and I love shift! Tanner won't shift anywhere anymore, but the player will. Be prepared to have missions where you'll be shifting between Tanner, Jones and maybe someone else.
By Steerclear
Nice ideas there Coyote. I like the idea of Washington for a setting. The only reason I say Driver 6 is because I remember seeing a picture of Tanner driving his challenger on the Golden Gate Bridge. (Search on google, it's not far down) And the registration/ licence plate originally had 'DRV 05'. And even on the collectible Dodge Challenger model. Basically instead of 'SF' they just put '05'. But I would also highly doubt they would call it Driver 6.

I'm not sure about Shift, as long as he's not in a Coma this time I don't mind. I saw it as a one trick pony...albeit a good one.
By Coyote
Yeah all Artworks and also some folder in game are called DRV05 like the Parallel Lines one were called DRV04 when Gareth Edmondson himself said that Parallel Lines isn't Driver 4 :) I guess this is just an internal designation that came from when the game didn't have a name yet, and which was left this way to avoid confusion during development :P

There definitely won't be another coma haha! I don't think it's a "one trick pony" like you said, just look at GTA 4. They've copied shift and you'll be shifting between characters. Those dirty pigs :evil: Shift is becoming the next big thing now. But it's nothing new actually, it has already existing for ages in games such as The Sims, and there was also a very similar sort of shifting in Nascar 06: Total Team Control. I loved that game :D Although it wasn't exactly like the shift we know, it was much more like Quick Shift in DSF. Actually it was exactly the same as Quick Shift.
By Steerclear
I don't mind shift being like that, but as long as it's not having to use it to get in other random peoples cars to have head on collisions then I don't mind. I know you didn't always have to use shift during a chase, but when it comes to taking down a big truck or lots of cars it's kinda needed. Another thing is they need to make damage/ AI better, takes forever to take down a car when after a couple of hits it should be wrecked, they even continue after some head on collisions. -_-
By Coyote
The only mission where you HAD to make a head-on collision by shifting into a car from the oncoming traffic is the one where you have to free Sarah Allen. But this was kind of a "tutorial" mission. You say you find it hard to stop a big rig, but here's where you have the choice. You can either play the game the hard way, and moan about it like a lot of people did since the first Driver game, or you can play it the easy way, and moan on how easy it is :P

BTW I don't think it's too hard to take a car down, a head on crash at full speed completely destroys a car for me :? But yeah in missions it's most likely different. I know that Tanner's Challenger is basically impossible to destroy at the start of the game, and getaway cars are way too easy to take down haha! Later it gets harder obviously, which is good. :)
By max.thunder
Coyote wrote: 4. If you believe the next Driver will not have shift, then you're dreaming haha :D They just found this fantastic feature that made the game so lively, you don't think they're going to drop it, are you? I'm for shift and I love shift! Tanner won't shift anywhere anymore, but the player will. Be prepared to have missions where you'll be shifting between Tanner, Jones and maybe someone else.
I like this idea, shifting between cop units. Clearly a nice way in the evolution of shift without coma.
Coyote wrote:But it's nothing new actually, it has already existing for ages in games such as The Sims, and there was also a very similar sort of shifting in Nascar 06: Total Team Control.
Also,

Ford Street Racing (shifting between your team cars)
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Last edited by max.thunder on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Steerclear
I'm not moaning about it I just think the damage varies too much in the game, eg: The shift protect activity (ones with the prison van etc) one head on collision can destroy a baddie car, even without ram. 2 Head on collisions would wreck the truck. I prefer it like that at least a bit more realistic. Unless you use a bus to take down a Fiat Abarth then yes that's fine (in normal free roam). Some of them weren't story missions though, for example there's a race that involves 2 big rigs and 2 tow trucks, you would have to use shift before they reach the end of the race (Most of the time). The thing is sometimes a head on crash can destroy a vehicle straight away (depending on how big or small the cars involved are) but if I want to do a normal chase, ie: abviously wouldn't include a head on collision. The damage is just to tough...unless you use ram.
By Coyote
Well yeah I guess this is to make the gameplay balanced, you say you find it too hard to stop the trucks in that activity, but at the same time you say the mission / activity where you protect the security van is too easy. Now if the security van was destroyed after two crashes you'd say it's too hard to wins and at the same time if those trucks in the race would be destroyed after two hits you'd say it's too easy to stop them :P You see? Hehe. It's all about multiplayer anyway 8) BTW: in multiplayer the damage varies too, if you're playing against a single player in takedown it will take you a single head on crash to destroy him. If you're playing against 7 other players this obviously won't be the case, it would be impossible for most people to even pass the first checkpoint. :lol:
max.thunder wrote:
Coyote wrote: 4. If you believe the next Driver will not have shift, then you're dreaming haha :D They just found this fantastic feature that made the game so lively, you don't think they're going to drop it, are you? I'm for shift and I love shift! Tanner won't shift anywhere anymore, but the player will. Be prepared to have missions where you'll be shifting between Tanner, Jones and maybe someone else.
I like this idea, shifting between cop units. Clearly a nice way in the evolution of shift without coma.
Coyote wrote:But it's nothing new actually, it has already existing for ages in games such as The Sims, and there was also a very similar sort of shifting in Nascar 06: Total Team Control.
Also,

Ford Street Racing (shifting between your team cars)
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Cool that looks exactly like in the Nascar game I was talking about, except the game doesn't pause in Nascar :)

I too think it will be a good transition from coma to real world! It would be cool to see Lt. McKenzie back by the way.
By Steerclear
Coyote wrote:Well yeah I guess this is to make the gameplay balanced, you say you find it too hard to stop the trucks in that activity, but at the same time you say the mission / activity where you protect the security van is too easy. Now if the security van was destroyed after two crashes you'd say it's too hard to wins and at the same time if those trucks in the race would be destroyed after two hits you'd say it's too easy to stop them :P You see? Hehe. It's all about multiplayer anyway 8) BTW: in multiplayer the damage varies too, if you're playing against a single player in takedown it will take you a single head on crash to destroy him. If you're playing against 7 other players this obviously won't be the case, it would be impossible for most people to even pass the first checkpoint. :lol:
I wouldn't say it would be hard if the security van was destroyed after two crashes, as I've never let the baddies reach it. All what I'm saying is, is that they purposely crank up the difficulty on damage on certain missions, activities, challenges or whatever so then you have to use shift. That's why I think they need to improve the damage as during free roam chases they should take a little more damage than they do in San Fran. Including the car you are driving.
By Coyote
I agree that they should take more damage / be more sensible. I'd to see them destroyed after a single crash (not necessarily head on). It's a bit like that in Capture The Flag, whoever has the flag has a really sensible car. That's pretty cool! All other cars (from other players) are very sensible too, but not to this point. I think it's the same in Relay Race.

And I still don't think you need to use shift in some of them, or at least not as much as you do. You need to stop the racing trucks & tow trucks? Get a police van. It's fast and lasts long! Ram them from the site, do a lot of little hits. It works :) Even if it's nearly impossible / very hard. But that's the point. NEARLY :P So again in the end it's very hard, or very easy :P
By Nikusakken
I haven't thought too much about the features of a new Driver game, but I really hope - if Tanner returns - that they don't completely change his appearance again. He's fine the way he is in SF, just change his clothes. Oh, and make the main storyline mode longer. DSF was too short and I'm not much of a multiplayer person.
By Coyote
Yeah the story was too short. I finished it in 4 days (100%, with all dares and challenges and activities etc.) and I was actually taking my time, to not finish it too quickly. I was doing dares all the time to make the time pass, but I was so addicted to the game (I still am) that I just simply had to finish it, I wanted to know how it ends. I didn't really want to play online yet because all areas are unlocked already, I wanted to wait until I had seen all of the city already and unlocked it all myself.
By Badnick24
I don't know much about cities but what about Hollywood? I don't know much about Hollywood but isn't that what Driver is about? Movies? I also wouldn't mind seeing more than one city. Anyways, in the next driver, I would like to see...

* Less restrictive physics and a lot less barriers.
* The original traffic system with working lights. If they had this in DSF, it would have been so much better for the gameplay. You could have used shift to create a traffic jam and stop a getaway. And it was more realistic.
* Some kind of atmospherical cycle. Either day-night or weather.
* A longer story. How come games now a days are like 5 minutes long?
* Better cop AI. Cops should be able to place roadblocks, spikes, all that fun stuff.
* An interactive environment would be great. San Francisco was pretty dull. There wasn't a whole lot of ways to tear it up or even explore it, thanks to barriers. I'd like to see a city with real working bridges, secret areas, etc.
* Insanely, pull-your-hair-out, frustrating, missions. I don't know why, but those kept me coming back.

Those are just my personal thoughts. Does anybody think there will be another Driver game? I personally hope so. But I honestly don't know how well it would do with a story... It might "jump the shark".
By Coyote
Badnick24 wrote:I don't know much about cities but what about Hollywood? I don't know much about Hollywood but isn't that what Driver is about? Movies? I also wouldn't mind seeing more than one city. Anyways, in the next driver, I would like to see...

* Less restrictive physics and a lot less barriers.
* The original traffic system with working lights. If they had this in DSF, it would have been so much better for the gameplay. You could have used shift to create a traffic jam and stop a getaway. And it was more realistic.
* Some kind of atmospherical cycle. Either day-night or weather.
* A longer story. How come games now a days are like 5 minutes long?
* Better cop AI. Cops should be able to place roadblocks, spikes, all that fun stuff.
* An interactive environment would be great. San Francisco was pretty dull. There wasn't a whole lot of ways to tear it up or even explore it, thanks to barriers. I'd like to see a city with real working bridges, secret areas, etc.
* Insanely, pull-your-hair-out, frustrating, missions. I don't know why, but those kept me coming back.

Those are just my personal thoughts. Does anybody think there will be another Driver game? I personally hope so. But I honestly don't know how well it would do with a story... It might "jump the shark".
Actually, Hollywood is a quite good idea, that's the reason why I said Los Angeles would be alright too. Because it reminded me of this:

It would be a cool playground! Maybe we could even have some sort of stunt constructor hehe. It's crazy how there's even a whole town in there.
(BTW there's another video of Ken Block here, it's the best one in my opinion. Takes place in SF, you recognise lots of places from Driver :))

As for a lively city, I liked how in DPL there were construction "sites" randomly spawning on bridges sometimes. They should do something like this in Driver 4, like, random traffic jams, or closed roads, construction sites, etc.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]