Moderator: cleone

(A.K.A. "How To Draw Cars That Aren't Dickmobiles Or Shitmobiles")

As you may or may not know, I've mentioned the possibility of posting a tutorial on how to draw good-looking cars for DrIVer: Russia. Well, here it is.
NOTE: If you're having trouble with this tutorial, I can provide an illustrated version.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

-A blueprint of the vehicle you intend to draw.
-Reference photos of the actual car.
-A drawing program such as MS Paint.
-A photo editing program such as Adobe Photoshop or Corel Photo-Paint.

PART 1: THE BASICS

1. Obtain a blueprint of the vehicle you intend to draw. All you should be concerned with is finding a blueprint of the car with a top view.

2. Load the blueprint in your photo editor program & use the eraser to clean up any crap showing through such as the interior, engine, etc...

3. Once the blueprint has been cleaned up, copy & paste it into MS Paint (or any equivalent program your operating system has), rotate it so it's facing to the right & reduce the size to a reasonable scale.

4. Now, trace over the car's lines, starting with the edges of the car, and eventually working over other details such as the windows, mirrors, etc... (you can omit some minor details such as hood lines, if you wish)

5. Once the car has been drawn, clean up any crap such as gray & off-white pixels, and then paint the car whatever color you wish.
(NOTE: Don't forget to paint the windows! Paint 'em gray or something.)

6. Save the car as a .bmp first, then open it up in your photo editor program & save it as a .gif

7. Place it in your DrIVer: Russia folder & have fun!

DISCLAIMER: You can only use your new car(s) in Take A Ride mode as
of v1.15.1
PART 2: FINDING BLUEPRINTS

-The best source for car/truck blueprints is http://www.the-blueprints.com

-If you can't find what you need there, try http://www.smcars.net (NOTE: You need to sign up for an account in order to download blueprints.)

-If you can't find what you need there, make a request in the forums of either site or look for a brochure of the car/truck you wish to draw.

-If you can't find a brochure with a blueprint of the car, look for a model kit of the car you wish to draw. The instructions may have a top view of the car. If it does, scan the instruction sheet into your computer.

-If that doesn't work, download an accurate 3D model of the car you wish to draw, open it up in the 3D viewer program it was designed for, position the camera so it's looking at the car from above (NOTE: Make sure the viewer is set to Parallel Mode), hit the print screen button to take a picture of the car & paste it into MS Paint or some other painting program.

-If none of these methods will net you the proper blueprint, either try for another vehicle and/or wait.
Last edited by Wheelman75 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PART 3: SCALING THE PRINTS

You don't have to draw all of your cars to an exact scale, but if you do, use my Ford Granada/Consul as a reference point. The dimensions are:

Length: 180 in/457.2 cm (166 pixels)
Width: 70 in/177.8 cm (68 pixels)

-To scale the car down properly, find the length & divide by 180.

-Multiply your result by 166, rounding up/down as necessary. The result you get is the length, in pixels, that your car should be in order to be correctly scaled.

-In order to obtain the correct scale, find out the length, in pixels, of the car blueprint you're going to scale down. Divide the result you got earlier when you multiplied by 166 by this length & you should get the proper scale for your vehicle.
max.thunder wrote:are you designing cars in 3d for the new driver?
i can design things in 3d in Valve Hammer Editor but i didn't try to design cars
No. This is a guide for drawing 2D cars for a Driver fangame made by chrisl121212.
Wheelman75 wrote:
max.thunder wrote:are you designing cars in 3d for the new driver?
i can design things in 3d in Valve Hammer Editor but i didn't try to design cars
No. This is a guide for drawing 2D cars for a Driver fangame made by chrisl121212.
Is it a game that looks like GTA (1997) in gameplay?(2D view)
It's OK. I don't need very detailed buildings in order to find my way around the city. As long as I can tell the roads apart & everything, I'm A-OK with that.

By the way, what do you think of this guide, Chris?
Wheelman75 wrote:It's OK. I don't need very detailed buildings in order to find my way around the city. As long as I can tell the roads apart & everything, I'm A-OK with that.

By the way, what do you think of this guide, Chris?
i haven't sat down to read it yet. my life is extremely hectic right now. i can barely find time to even get on here. hopefully it should slow down soon. i don't think it will slow down until around christmas though. I'll read it ASA I get time though.
Also, the background does not have to be blue-green. As long as it is a solid color, you shouldn't have a problem.
chrisl121212 wrote:Holy sh**! I completely forgot about D4!!! :shock: I'm serious about this too, I'm not just saying this. :(
You mean you stopped development for a bit?

chrisl121212 wrote:Also, the background does not have to be blue-green. As long as it is a solid color, you shouldn't have a problem.
Also, if the background is the same color as the car, won't the whole car be transparent?
Wheelman75 wrote:
chrisl121212 wrote:Holy sh**! I completely forgot about D4!!! :shock: I'm serious about this too, I'm not just saying this. :(
You mean you stopped development for a bit?

chrisl121212 wrote:Also, the background does not have to be blue-green. As long as it is a solid color, you shouldn't have a problem.
Also, if the background is the same color as the car, won't the whole car be transparent?
Except for the black outline, if you outlined it in black.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]