Modding discussion for DRIV3R.
By JAY
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Well, first: Hello to all the Driver-Fans out there. :) I'm new to these forums and interested in modding. So maybe I can help with my infos.

I'd like to try to explain here the folder and data structure of the pc version of Driv3r and the files we can change with known programs. I hope this will help the people interested in this stuff getting into the material.

First let's have a look on the Driv3r folder. I'll go through all the subfolders and try to explain what the different files do.

1. Anims

Here you can find the animations for Tanner and all other persons in the game. There is one file for every city and the folders "macros" and "Skeleton_Macros". Macros are the single movements for the different models: running, crouching, dead animation, and so on. The Skeleton_Macros have one file for male and one for female characters so they move differently.

The only files we can open are "AnimationLookup.txt" and "MacroList.txt" with notepad or any other editor. The first one defines all the animations in the game:
Code: Select all
SKELETON 		( defines which skeleton type your working on )
CONDITION 		( the condition og the character )
DRIVE			( what vehicle they are driving )
CARRY 			( a carry type )
actions			( list of actions , clip names and playback options )
The second is a list of all the macros used by the game. I don't know what effects changes in these two files will have. But Driv3r_madness probably knows since he published his "slider-mod"-video. :)

2. Cities

These files contain all the textures for the three cities. You can extract the graphics with the Texture Tool by SparedLife. Go to his website to find out more about the tool and the formats used for these files. Attention: Most of the missions also have their own texture archives. So changes in these archives will not show up in the undercover missions. See 6.

3. Configs

There is just one subfolder named "vehicles" with three files in it, one for every city (format: BO3). Maybe these files contains the handling data for the cars.

4. FMV

Yeees, I love them. :lol: You can open all the files with the extension *.xmv with the RAD Video Tool and convert them into known formats like avi, mpeg or wmv. So you can look at them with Windows Media Player or VLC. I'll try to replace one of the intro videos (Atari logo or Nvidia logo) with one of my own intro videos. I haven't tried yet but I'm sure that it should be no problem. I hope game will not crash...

Ehhh, yes, these files are of course the beatiful cutscenes. ;)

5. Guns

There is one file which probably defines all data for the guns in the game. So nothing important to me because I don't use guns. Format: Cpr (maybe another compressed archive with inidvidual files in it).

6. Missions

Here we find all the mission related files. The *.dam-archives contain all the textures used in that mission, the *.mpc the mission scripts. We can't open the scripts, but we can use the Texture Tool by SparedLife for openingand extracting the texture-archives. We also can convert one mission into another by renaming them. So we can use miami cars in nice for example. Check out SparedLife's website or this thread: http://drivermadness.net/main/viewtopic.php?p=4353

7. Moods

In this folder you'll find just textfiles which you can open with notepad or any other editor. They define the lighting and colors of the skybox. Driver_madness made some mods with changed mood-files. Check out the forum.

8. Music

You can't listen to the ingame music with Media Player, VLC or any other audio tool. You've to convert these files to *.wav with the Audio Tools. Now open them with Media Player or what you prefer. Note: We cannot insert our own music with this tool.

9. Overlays

I have no idea about this folder. There are bin-files like "take-a-ride" "chase train" or "quickchase" and some *.map-files for the three cities. But I don't know the function of these files...

10. Saves

No problem with this folder: It contains the savegames of all your game profiles. Maybe we could cheat by changing these files.

11. SFX

There is one file. It defines all the effects like rain, smoke and so on. Just a suggestion.

12. Skies

Probably all the skyboxes for the different daytimes and weather situations. Format: d3s

13. Sounds

There are VSB-files for the music, the menu and the three cities. Just compressed archives. So nothing to change here...

14. Territory

Here we find FMVs, Sound, Texts and so on for the different languages which are supported by the game.

15. Vehicles

Here we find texture archives for the different cars.

So you can see: Most of the files are compressed into archives. Most of the formats used for the compression are unknown to me. We have no tools or programs to open the files and extract them. If we would have such tools we could change most parts of the game: new cars, new music, new sounds, new maps, new missions, and so on. I read on the ATARI-forums that they used 3D MAX for all the models and Photoshop for the textures. Or did I misinterpret that ?^^ These are programs many of us own, so we easily could mod this game. But the first step the extraction of the game files has to be done. And this game is to old and unpopular, so I've no hope that we will have such software.

PS: I hope I could help some of you with my little tutorial and maybe you can find out more about the file formats...if you want...
Last edited by JAY on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Lseven7
JAY wrote: 14. Territory

Here we find FMVs, Sound, Texts and so on for the different languages which are supported by the game.

C:\...\DRIV3R\Territory\Americas(might be different depending where you are, i've got asia-pacific version)\Locale\English\GUI
this folder contains all the text files for menus etc.
if you change the text files in here you can see different text in game. for example, under the pause.txt file i replaced "Quit Game" with "Go Away", just because i could. :)
JAY wrote:

1. Anims

Here you can find the animations for Tanner and all other persons in the game. There is one file for every city and the folders "macros" and "Skeleton_Macros". Macros are the single movements for the different models: running, crouching, dead animation, and so on. The Skeleton_Macros have one file for male and one for female characters so they move differently.

The only files I can open are "AnimationLookup.txt" and "MacroList.txt". The first one defines all the animations in the game:
Code: Select all
SKELETON 		( defines which skeleton type your working on )
CONDITION 		( the condition og the character )
DRIVE			( what vehicle they are driving )
CARRY 			( a carry type )
actions			( list of actions , clip names and playback options )
The second is a list of all the macros used by the game. I don't know what effects changes in these two files will have. But Driv3r_madness probably knows since he published his "slider-mod"-video. :)
you should make a basic mod that gives tanner female animations. i don't really see the point of it but at least its progress.
By madness
I indeed have been working on modding DRIV3R ever since it was released on PC. I have found out many, many things which I have told no one until the release of a new audition to the driver madness network called "Driver Modding", and there i'll show off all my modding tips and secrets. Expect the website to be released by the end of January 2007.

But I though since you brought the topic up i'd like to share a few early things with you all.

1. FMV
The first thing which people had the abbility to use outside the game; the RAD tools were discovered quite a while ago amung the release of DRIV3R. And who wouldn't try opening those videos with those RAD tools since the game has the RAD tools featured in the credits.

2. Cities
A very buggy tool was released before DRIV3R (PC) was even released in stores, this little tool was origionaly created for the DEMO version of DRIV3R but it has been found possible to work with the full version of DRIV3R. This tool does work as I've added textures in the game; it's just very buggy and rarly works and freezes up the game, so i'm currently trying to contact the creator and see what he can do.

3. Moods
These files are the easist aspects of DRIV3R to modify, I must say I've changed many things in the DRIV3R world with this little tool. The lighting effects/rain effects and many of the particle effects varibles are editable here. A deep written up report will be posted on "Driver Modding" when i get the site up showing how to use all these varibles.

4. Music
These music files seem impossible to convert; but they are plain music files, each of them are seperate songs in the game from 1.xa to 52.xa and many missing inbetween. They are not archieves they are like a weird format of .mp3's just not playable under anything other than the game; so why not make the game your player. More details will go into this on the new "Driver Modding" website. Plus! there is also a hidden track in there which is not playable in the game;l only it's engine, something we have only heard a bit of in an Trailer and now you can hear the entire track. Plus! Soon i'll be releasing a pack which enables you to play all these files as MP3's which i'll be releasing later today.

5. Missions
I have done a few weird things with the mission; but not all that much. And the mission files in DRIVER wheren't ecrpyted in the first place since you could open then up in notepad. BUT DMC editor enabled you to edit these files easily. In DRIV3R modding this is very hard since the file is very encrpyted which has limited me to changing many varibles which I can barly see.

6. Overlays
These are the map files, the files which you see as the maps in the game; these can not be edited as far as I know although there is a small way of changing them. I'll show you how in the new "Driver Modding" Website.

7. Vehicles
It is infact possible to edit the textures in these vehicles; in that same tool which enabled us to edit the cities.

8. Territory
It is possible to change the words used in the menus here meaning it is possible to create entire language conversions. You can also de-imporve or improve the wording e.g. Film Directory to Movie Maker.

9. Skies
Take a look up into the air in "DRIV3R" those "textures" "sets" in there are used up there. It is possible to entirly take out the sky.

There are a few more things which i'll check up on before I mention them, I'd hate to mislead someone but this is all the imformation i've found during my course on modding "DRIV3R".

Now "Driver Modding" will include all this information and more including many mods which I have created. Remember the "Sliding Tanner" and the "Swim Forever" and the "Walking on Water" mods I made for DRIV3R; I will be re-releasing these which onyl very few people got their hands on when I released them a couple of years ago.

Also I may upload some of those mods soon to Driver Madness; Since my holidays have arrived i'm going to have a lot more time to work on everything and hopefully by the end of them which is in another 40 days, I should have finished many more mods and many more websites which I have been working on recently.

So with this big topic I hope i've made you all really happy and lets all hope we can mod DRIV3R just the way we wanted.

Regards
Driver Madness
By Lseven7
I can't wait!! :D

I tried to start another post on this topic, but it didnt work so ill put it here (which is probably more appropriate anyway):

edit:snip: DRIV3R Modding Wishlist
Last edited by Lseven7 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JAY
lseven7 wrote:
C:\...\DRIV3R\Territory\Americas(might be different depending where you are, i've got asia-pacific version)\Locale\English\GUI
this folder contains all the text files for menus etc.
I've the European version and there are five languages in it:
English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.

I went through all the files in the "Mood"-folder and here are the files related to the Take-A-Ride missions:

1. Miami

- Day: mood37.txt, mood57.txt
- Night: mood39.txt, mood59.txt

2. Nice

- Dawn: mood44.txt, mood60.txt
- Day: mood45.txt, mood61.txt

3. Istanbul

- Dawn: mood52.txt, mood64.txt
- Dusk: mood54.txt, mood66.txt

4. Sunrise: mood48.txt

I don't know why there are serveral files for let's say Miami Day or Nice Dawn, and why there aren't any files for Istanbul Day or Miami Dusk. And why the hell is there only one file for sunrise...

The rest of the files in this folder are for the different missions. But there are also several files for one mission. So I don't see any structur behind this folder.^^
madness wrote:
2. Cities
A very buggy tool was released before DRIV3R (PC) was even released in stores, this little tool was origionaly created for the DEMO version of DRIV3R but it has been found possible to work with the full version of DRIV3R. This tool does work as I've added textures in the game; it's just very buggy and rarly works and freezes up the game, so i'm currently trying to contact the creator and see what he can do.
I suppose, you mean this tool ? http://www.spared-life.com/SparedLifeFi ... riv3ra.zip

The extracting of textures works. Now I have a folder full of textures of Miami Day. I also can load them into Photoshop. But I hadn't tested the importing feature yet. But this tool is perhaps the greatest progress in Driv3r Modding! It's the first real and working Extractor of archived game files!
By madness
Indeed it is but when you import files sometimes the game freezes and one of the easist ways of modding with this tool whitout it freezing is, changing each individual texture, editing it and then importing it back into the game and testing to see if it works,

If it freezes restore the origional file if it works leave it.

Doing this can take long amounts of time and can be very frustratingly annoying.

In the near future i'll be getting a new laptop working and hopefully it can play DRIV3R; And i'll take that method since I'm always on the move and it gives me something to do at those times. And my computer isn't even close to stable to do all this stuff, so I can't wait for the lap-top; onec I get it working i'll be alot more productive than usual since I don't have to put up with all the graphical bugs I get from the Video Card and so forth.
By Lseven7
JAY wrote: I've the European version and there are five languages in it:
English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.
For some reason the asia-pacific version is under americas, and has english and brazilian.
By madness
I know the XBOX version has "English, German, French, Italian and Spanish" and I can play audio with all the languages and it's very funny.
By Lseven7
madness wrote:I know the XBOX version has "English, German, French, Italian and Spanish" and I can play audio with all the languages and it's very funny.
I must go through the game again in brazilian :D . Hopefully i can remember what is what in the menus :D
By madness
Well sadly you get the same audio as in English, which is kinda annoying when I want English writing and Italian Audio.
By Lseven7
madness wrote:Well sadly you get the same audio as in English, which is kinda annoying when I want English writing and Italian Audio.
:( you are right. oh well. im just going to modo passeio (take a ride) now.
By JAY
madness wrote:Indeed it is but when you import files sometimes the game freezes and one of the easist ways of modding with this tool whitout it freezing is, changing each individual texture, editing it and then importing it back into the game and testing to see if it works,

If it freezes restore the origional file if it works leave it.

Doing this can take long amounts of time and can be very frustratingly annoying.

In the near future i'll be getting a new laptop working and hopefully it can play DRIV3R; And i'll take that method since I'm always on the move and it gives me something to do at those times. And my computer isn't even close to stable to do all this stuff, so I can't wait for the lap-top; onec I get it working i'll be alot more productive than usual since I don't have to put up with all the graphical bugs I get from the Video Card and so forth.
I replaced the street texture for Istanbul Day. And yes, it works. The game didn't freeze or something. But check this out: It seems that there are problems with the alpha canal of the texture. Below my saving options in Photoshop.
By madness
The problem dosent occur all the time, it only occurs once in every while but it can still get quite annoying. This si usually when I edit over 100 textures at a time and then run it.
Last edited by madness on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lseven7
JAY wrote:I replaced the street texture for Istanbul Day. And yes, it works. The game didn't freeze or something. But check this out: It seems that there are problems with the alpha canal of the texture. Below my saving options in Photoshop.
In the first screenshot, are you a police cone on the map?

Will that tool work with and ATI gfx card?
By JAY
No, I'm not, but it seems so, you're right. :D

Yes, it should workt with every graphic card that supports Driv3r. I've a ATI X800 and the game works fine.

The next thing I'll try to change are some of the car textures, e.g. the police cars. :)
By Lseven7
JAY wrote:No, I'm not, but it seems so, you're right. :D

Yes, it should workt with every graphic card that supports Driv3r. I've a ATI X800 and the game works fine.

The next thing I'll try to change are some of the car textures, e.g. the police cars. :)
it looks heaps better than on my X600. have you changed heaps of textures?
By madness
Here I've attached many screenshots which show off many things i've done while modifying the content of DRIV3R. (I'll add more picture later on in the week mainly because I can't remember where I put them all)

And i've also attached a short DRIV3R Video showing the first mission and new lighting effects.

Here are some downloads which you may want to try
DOWNLOADS:
Better Lighting Effects
Miami/Nice Stunt

More downloads coming soon 8)
By JAY
lseven7 wrote:
No. I have all the options in the menu turned on and a solution of 1248X1024. But I turned off the shadows because they cause some weird graphical bugs around the car and Tanner. Maybe you've to change your graphic options.

I like the second video. Which files did you change ?
But I don't see the differences in the first video. Maybe I can't remember this mission. I must play Undercover again. :)

Yeah, McDonalds in Nice. :D My next try with a *.dds-file without the so-called "Mip-Maps". You can see: no problems except that the texture size doesn't fit.
madness wrote:The problem dosent occur all the time, it only occurs once in every while but it can still get quite annoying. This si usually when I edit over 100 textures at a time and then run it.
So I think that has to do something with the format options of the *.dds-file and this mip-map-thing...
By Lseven7
JAY wrote:
lseven7 wrote:
No. I have all the options in the menu turned on and a solution of 1248X1024. But I turned off the shadows because they cause some weird graphical bugs around the car and Tanner. Maybe you've to change your graphic options.
Im on the highest resolution the game can do (1280 by 1024 75mhz 32bit) with everything but antialiasing on and up to full.
By madness
Well sadly my computers that crap I can only do 640x480 at 90mhz 16bit. I hope to get a new Video card soon and that will be one of the main things which will get me onto modding DRIV3R a lot more; almost full time, i just hope the Video Card in my lap-top that i'm getting working will handle it.

By the way I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 I hope to purchase the NVIDIA 6600GT which I get a PCIE Motherboard.
By madness
I found some more screenshots on my computer from modding DRIV3R quite a while ago, when I get my computer working with driv3r again I'll start to release some of these mods on a patching utility so the files arn't so big.
By JAY
It's nice to see Nice cars in Miami. Which files did you change ?
By madness
It was quite complicated, so I'm going to explain this in detail on the Driver Modding site which is just around the corner. You can find more information about this website here.
By Dragonboyz
Registration Days
how can you use gun and get out of the car? and drive mortorcycle?
By madness
if you talking about that above picture "tanner_biking_police_car.jpg" it's just a mod I created. As I've said many times before the Driver Modding site will be out soon with heaps of mods including lots of moddings tips and everything.

Also if your interested in Modding DRIV3R and have DRIV3R on PC just say, maybe you could help us make the next DRIV3R mod. Who knows.
By Sedans
wait...You modded driver3?!! Tell me how please!!!
By madness
well thats one of the main purposes for the Driver Modding website.
There I'll tell you about everysingle file and it's purpose and what tools their are to edit/view/decompile/compile that file.

And also if your interested in modding DRIV3R once again your going to need a PC which can run DRIV3R and DRIV3R for PC.
By Sedans
damn....i need 2 getta copy of D3 for my PC :D
By madness
yeh, that would be a great idea as long as your computer meets DRIV3R's requirements.

Minimum System Requirements
System: 1.5Ghz processor or equivalent
RAM: 256 MB
Video Memory: 64 MB
Hard Drive Space: 5500 MB
Other: Win 2000/XP

Recommended System Requirements
System: 2.6Ghz processor or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Video Card: GeForce 6 Series and above
Hard Drive Space: 5500 MB
Other: Win 2000/XP
By Sedans
this sucks cuz i dont got no idea what any of that is, well i mean i know what i is but i dont kno how 2 check it lol
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]