Modding discussion for Driver: Parallel Lines.
By Olanov
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:Usually beta versions of games look far finer then the final product...
If you ignore the crap ton of jaggies, lower texture resolution and unpolished visuals, then yeah. :lol:
By DatDirtyBananas
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
PostalDude wrote:The game ran on the D3 version of the Hamster engine right up until the demo disc that was bundled with GameInformer, which explains the low visual quality. Although the final PS2 build still has Driv3r like car reflections and relatively low quality textures.
Never heard of that engine before
By VAIMAHDO
Olanov wrote:
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:Usually beta versions of games look far finer then the final product...
If you ignore the crap ton of jaggies, lower texture resolution and unpolished visuals, then yeah. :lol:
Oh B.S look at Watch_Dogs E3 2012 and all the fancy renders DRIV3R had.
By Olanov
Renders are always touched up and quite often end up being more outside of game engine than within it. Watch_Dogs was a simple ol' scam. You can partly add Mafia II on that list, too. That said, it varies. Driver 2 beta looked pretty good in regards of the draw distance. But that's more or less the only good part about it and the rest of the Driver betas? Jesus no. Heck, even GTA V pictures were photoshopped up.
By the kid 78
Olanov wrote:Renders are always touched up and quite often end up being more outside of game engine than within it. Watch_Dogs was a simple ol' scam. You can partly add Mafia II on that list, too. That said, it varies. Driver 2 beta looked pretty good in regards of the draw distance. But that's more or less the only good part about it and the rest of the Driver betas? Jesus no. Heck, even GTA V pictures were photoshopped up.
I can't stand your pessimism dude, even if I agree on all your said, still Rockstar if they promise something you will find it, not like what Ubi did on Watch Dogs, it was awful. Missions look sand boxed, nonetheless the environment.

Well Mafia II was good and well made for a small company not as big as Ubisoft, also they miss some steps that interrupt the greatness of the game but overall still playable and enjoyable, Driver 2 was a unique game at that time so we can't stand how they call it a copy of GTA when GTA III not even exist. Anyway, you always will see crappy stuff from now and then, that's the power of marketing, is to turn a turd into a shiny chocolate cake !
By Olanov
the kid 78 wrote:I can't stand your pessimism dude, even if I agree on all your said, still Rockstar if they promise something you will find it, not like what Ubi did on Watch Dogs, it was awful. Missions look sand boxed, nonetheless the environment.
I didn't say R* cheated. I was just mentioning that they touched up the screenshots to make them look better here and there. It didn't really take anything away from V in my opinion, especially with the next gen and PC versions coming out. I didn't even really care at all they did it, however, it worked as a nice small example of game devs tidying up the material they show.
the kid 78 wrote:Well Mafia II was good and well made for a small company not as big as Ubisoft, also they miss some steps that interrupt the greatness of the game...
You mean stuff like the 2009 gamescom gameplay walkthrough trailer where they blatantly show off a lot of features that didn't make into the final product, then later on give half assed excuses as to why they cut something as the community questions it?

You mean stuff like cutting the game into pieces and selling it on as half assed DLC's and even then heavily stripped within those DLC's? I enjoyed Mafia II a lot and I hand it to them, they did nicely with a small team but come the hell on. Nobody can't straight up ignore the bullsh** they came up with. SO MUCH wasted potentional it's not even funny and that makes pretending that their actions were justified (not talking about you) just outright wrong.
the kid 78 wrote:Driver 2 was a unique game at that time so we can't stand how they call it a copy of GTA when GTA III not even exist.
I have no idea how this relates to anything, but I agree, that was dumb. And as to your last point, that's generally the idea when you're out of juice. Pretend the product'll be better than what it is and focus on the nice things. Then once the ball drops and there's community outrage you just duck and cover.

We're getting off topic, aren't we?
By the kid 78
I didn't say R* cheated. I was just mentioning that they touched up the screenshots to make them look better here and there. It didn't really take anything away from V in my opinion, especially with the next gen and PC versions coming out. I didn't even really care at all they did it, however, it worked as a nice small example of game devs tidying up the material they show.
Agreed on this one !
You mean stuff like the 2009 gamescom gameplay walkthrough trailer where they blatantly show off a lot of features that didn't make into the final product, then later on give half assed excuses as to why they cut something as the community questions it?

You mean stuff like cutting the game into pieces and selling it on as half assed DLC's and even then heavily stripped within those DLC's? I enjoyed Mafia II a lot and I hand it to them, they did nicely with a small team but come the hell on. Nobody can't straight up ignore the bullsh** they came up with. SO MUCH wasted potentional it's not even funny and that makes pretending that their actions were justified (not talking about you) just outright wrong.
Didn't know all these info so sorry I argued on Mafia II, my bad !

I have no idea how this relates to anything, but I agree, that was dumb. And as to your last point, that's generally the idea when you're out of juice. Pretend the product'll be better than what it is and focus on the nice things. Then once the ball drops and there's community outrage you just duck and cover.
Generally I see that a lot from Ubisoft's side !
We're getting off topic, aren't we?
No! we're not, it's related to production or producing process, Driver Parallel Lines was an exception duo to problems Atari had faced in a time when they knew they will get took of from the game. Ubisoft take the title just to stand against a raising star aka Rockstar, typically Ubi did again the huch guchi trick for Driver Parallel Lines without fixing nothing from the ported version ( no glitches fixed, no more rendering improvement or environment optimization) just adding some lighting and call it HD !

Marketing is an evil tool in the hands of companies, they turn sh*t into wonderland !
By Olanov
the kid 78 wrote:Didn't know all these info so sorry I argued on Mafia II, my bad !
That's perfectly fine, making arguements is the way to go. There's always something new to find and/or learn.
the kid 78 wrote:Marketing is an evil tool in the hands of companies, they turn sh*t into wonderland !
That it is.
By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Olanov wrote:
TheEngiGuy wrote:Why do beta versions of Driver games look better?
I wouldn't be surprised if that is not the game in action. They just set up a nice little suitable scene and touched it up to look even better. Cos the actual beta versions look worse.

That Zartex was seen on the back of the game, but never actually appeared in-game. Wonder why...
By the kid 78
I can guarantee this engine won't be it's own engine. The term "brand new engine" is used incorrectly far too often. The likes of Ubisoft done the same, with their "AnvilNext" engine. Which was apparently brand new, wrote from the ground up while starting from scratch. Yet, if you watch their behind the scenes videos, you'll see it's still called "Scimitar", and you'll find the same bugs plague that engine.
Same goes with Watch Dogs. Apparently the Disrupt engine was brand new, written from scratch. It's not, I know people who worked on it - it's the Driver Parallel Lines PS2 engine which was upgraded to Driver San Fran on last-gen, and then updated to work for WatchDogs.
Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... 1545204779

Note: Everyone knows that WatchDogs supposed to be a Driver Vid-Game, but they change their minds for a new game. Which partially proves this comment is true.
Last edited by the kid 78 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By the kid 78
PostalDude wrote:So Watch_Dogs & DSF technically run on Hamster, aka the Stuntman, D3, & DPL engine.
(CL69 found out the engine name after I sent him the PS2 DPL demo disk and he found a file with every function in it fyi)
I'm not one hundred percent sure but it looks credible to me, I guess they just update it and run new texture on it.

By the way I'm digging the internet like hell to find any information about DPL, it's like a needle in a haystack, really hard to find.

Also I forgot to mention "NYC_THEN_No_Cops.mpc" "NYC_NOW_No_Cops.mpc" are two Life events (option for two areas) missing from the game which are made for NYC without cops... ( Not released with the game).
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]