Share your thoughts and views on the game with others!
By Moonchild
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Driver 2: The Wheelman Is Back
Platform: Playstation

Story (10/10): Unlike the original, Driver 2 actually has an interesting story and unique characters. Solomon Caine is a tough gangster who has one of the greatest character quotes/intros in the history of gaming; Pink Lenny is the money man and the key to finding Alvaro Vasquez. Jericho is a ruthless hitman who lets his two sawn-off shotguns do the talking and rounding out the characters are the wheelman Tanner and his new partner the smooth talking Tobias Jones. The FMV’s are back and they look better than ever. There are a lot more of them this time and thankfully, their actually entertaining. The first game had trouble with dialogue and scenes that were just too slow. Driver 2 fixes some of these flaws with smarter character interaction and action sequences that create a Hollywood car chase vibe. The games story takes place in Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas, and Rio de Janeiro.

Controls (9/10): The controls are similar to the original but now there is an extra feature...the ability to leave your car! Not only useful for the Undercover mode, but it completely changed the Take a ride mode. Now you had near limitless continuous gameplay and that's always a plus. This new plus though gave way to a fatal negative, and that is the fact that Reflections has a hard time programming on-foot controls. Tanner runs really weird and overall, he just looks awkward. When turning him he sways from side-to-side and sometimes it’s annoying to get in a car. But, this new feature also changed the mission structure so in the end, it’s a welcome addition.

Graphics (6.5/10): There are technical problems but I forgive them. I mean look how big the maps are for the cities. Plus, a superior version was not released for the PC (because of Infogrames) so the PSone should be given the benefit of the doubt. But the problems should be noted, the game suffers from pop-up and poor draw distance. There are a few glitches like car's hoods not fitting on perfectly and instead looking like they have been front ended even though the car is not damaged. Car details seem to also have gone down and they look a little blocky and uninteresting. Really, the biggest graphical problem with driver 2 is that it looks almost exactly like the original and in some cases…worse.

Missions/Difficulty (10/10): This is where for me the game shines, the game offers up several interesting missions like "Escape The Brazilians", "Beat The Train", and "Chase The Gunman" These along with others provide good difficulty that encourage you to use all your driving skills and if you find them to be too hard, you can just lower the cop difficulty in the main menu. The game is split on two discs so all the Chicago and Havana missions are on disc one while the Vegas and Rio missions are on disc two. After completing the Undercover mode, you can always play the various driving games. These include, Quick Chase, Quick Getaway, Checkpoint, Gate Race, Trail Blazer, and Survival. Most of these are fun but the one that stands out is of coarse the Survival mode because the cops go psycho on you. If you’re tired with those modes of play you can always play with a friend in the new multiplayer option. Here you get the option of Take A Ride, Cops And Robbers, Checkpoint Racing, and Capture The Flag.

Overall: Many people complain about this game but I love it, the glitches/performance issues don't annoy me so much and in my opinion the game's story is the series best. Add in the new multiplayer mode, the return of the Film Director feature, and cool characters that'll appear in future installments and you've got a great game.

9/10

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]

https://youtu.be/j10ltSvvSFU

Supercharged V8 (Driv3r)

https://youtu.be/PNpHXUwiFKs

A tutorial video on how to make custom missions fo[…]