Share your thoughts and views on the game with others!
By Fireboyd78
Intro -

Driver: You Are The Wheelman puts you in the edge of your seat, in a driving game that takes place in Miami, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and of course, New York. As the title suggests, you're an undercover wheelman that is trying to take down the dons, but doing it in an a sleek, stealthy way.

[[[[RATINGS]]]]

Gameplay - (7/10)

The gameplay is not what you'd expect from a game made in 1999/2000. This is before the 3D GTA trend began, this is a time when people were still in the process of trying new things to introduce to gamers.

Reflections Interactive did just that, and successfully made the first game in a trilogy that would go on to be very successful. You drive a car, go from point a to point b, listen to some dialogue, go to the room, repeat process. It's fun.

Graphics - (5/10)

The graphics in Driver are simply amazing. They're not "OMG TOTALLY AWESOME" graphics, but back during the release days, this game would totally own GTA 2 any day. Driver was quicker to the punch when it came to a 3d world that is well, interactable. And they didn't need to get out of the car to prove that being a wheelman is fun!

Story - (6/10)

The story is already summed up in the intro. But nonetheless, it is a very good storyline which anyone would agree is amazing.

Controls (Default) - (2/10 PC) (7/10 PS1)

PC -

The controls that are given by default are horrendous. They expected you to play not with WSAD, or the arrow keys, but with some strange things i think we call comma's and periods. I changed it right away!

PS1 -

The controls that are given by default really are amazing. It is simple to learn how to drive and supported the new things that were cool on the street - ANALOG STICKS. This is the kind of game that got you prepared for GTA because it uses a similar interface and design to what GTA would become. Don't hit triangle, you're never getting out of the car.

OVERALL - (9.5/10)

This game just absolutely takes the cake from me. If it wasn't for Driver, I wouldn't be the game/car/animation freak I am today. If it wasn't for Driver, I wouldn't be writing this review that you are reading. If it wasn't for Driver, I wouldn't be...CARLUVER69.....

~~Fin~~

UPDATE 4/13/09 - Fixed grammar errors
UPDATE 1/23/10 - I realized I never changed the title from "CarLuver69's Review" to "Dr. Doom's Review" :lol:
Last edited by Fireboyd78 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
By teh_driver
Registration Days Posts
CarLuver69 wrote:Controls (DEFAULT) - (2/10 PC) (7/10 PS)

PC -

The controls that are given by default are horrendous. They expected you to play not with WSAD, or the arrow keys, but with some strange things i think we call comma's and periods. I changed it right away!
I haven't played this game on PS1.
But I'd have to disagree with your Controls review.
First, I'll have to correct you, upon installing Driver the controls defaulted to

z = Left
x = Right
' = Up
/ = Down

I think the controls work really well.
Well spaced out and players are less prone to RSI.

I think these controls are that great I've changed them to this in all my other driving games.
By madness
teh_driver wrote:
CarLuver69 wrote:Controls (DEFAULT) - (2/10 PC) (7/10 PS)

PC -

I haven't played this game on PS1.
But I'd have to disagree with your Controls review.
First, I'll have to correct you, upon installing Driver the controls defaulted to

z = Left
x = Right
' = Up
/ = Down

I think the controls work really well.
Well spaced out and players are less prone to RSI.

I think these controls are that great I've changed them to this in all my other driving games.
Yeah, this is true.
I use what DRIVER uses on all my driving games.
Keeping your fingers clamped to "left, right, up, down" or "w, s, a, d" causes RSI. But when it's getting out of a vehicle and using a weapon it's easier to use "w, s, a, d" when you need to get to your mouse quickly with your other hand.
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I use the WASD keys. This is more because the bulk of what I play is FPSs, which has WASD as the keys. I even put my hand on the keyboard in that orientation when I'm not typing :lol:! I do agree that the default key combos are well placed for anyone who isn't used to another combo.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]