Modding discussion for Driver.
Beta-demo 1: Yellow GSX, non-playable demo.
Beta-demo 2: Ugly purple Skylark, playable demo. Nothing really of interest except no barriers and beta cop cars (they have to be "hacked" in or so to speak).
Demo: Just like the final game. Nothing "beta" about it.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion for you.
Alright I see now! And beta-demo 1 & 2 are only available on PSX I suppose. Beta-demo 1 is only a beta replay guess? Since it isn't playable. I know which video this is now.

Funny that they used to do so many demos for a game :P You don't see that these days anymore.

So like I thought, there's more than we thought. Because there's another beta-demo then (non playable, replay only as well) with the OTHER yellow car which k9Underdog showed us. The one in Los Angeles, with the round lights (<3) :) This is the REAL Playstation1 default car. The other one might have been in a PSX demo, but it's based on the one later seen in the PC version. It resembles more of a Skylark (it has flat tail lights).

I just researched a bit and I wasn't wrong about the black car, this car existed in black:

And also in the PSX version with flat tail lights:

Maybe they were meant to be two separate cars? They may use the same model however. I mean look at the taxi and the cop car, they're the same model (taxi is slightly bigger) but they're representing two cars. Cop car is a St. Regis and Taxi is a Chevy Caprice. I'm wondering what this car is with round tail lights and the grill like "teeth" hehe. Would explain why they removed the yellow & black, because it simply isn't a Skylark, and those were skylark colours :)

Very interesting :P
They were all links to videos but they're dead sadly.

The car looks much better in black than in purpose BTW :) (the default car, in the first pic)
Someone said it exists also in red, is that right? Is there a pic somewhere?
Its just the normal final skylark painted like that. It appears in desert level, maybe it was meant to be used there, I made it drivable and was able to export the model. Its the only one that has perfect uv map, with only the front window being a bit mishaped ;)

Nice find about the black versions!! Judging by the position at where it is in last pic it maybe is a dark version of the beta buick gsx - as also stated by Martin Edmondson, that the yellow colour was too bright :)

Now glad you got it that the beta demos were all only for PSX, however the beta PC Skylark exist too and is hidden in NY and NC levels. It uses exactly the PSX model (to a single bit with exception of textures!)

I shall give it a shot finishing that beta buick gsx seen in my vid ;)
So you mean the model with round lights (from the PSX version) exists in the beta PC demo, in the NY and NC levels? Is that the car you mean? If yes, then that's fantastic, it's much better than the one with square lights. The only thing I would really want would be to have the beta yellow/black textures with the round lights and "teeth" grill :D I suppose it isn't possible to find it anywhere however.

Here's the black one:

Found another picture of the "Black Buick"

Now here's the plot twist - it's not actually Black. If you look closely at this supposed "Black Buick" picture, you can see that it has been severely drained of its color and is even split straight down the middle, with one side of the image using a completely different palette than the other. Look at the right side of the image - it's purple. What I did was convert Coyote's image to 8-bit with 256 colors and pasted another image of the Buick over it, which means the picture I found now uses the same colors as the "Black Buick" picture. Sure enough, it looks black.

The "Black Buick" effect is caused by having a limited number of colors available. In this case, I brought it down to only 64 colors..

The teal car still looks the same, but now the Buick is black...it's definitely not a beta picture!

Last piece of proof if you're still not convinced...here's some touchups to the "Black Buick" picture, with the yellow haze removed.

And of course, the image I used:

After some desaturation, color less, etc...

Conclusion: There is no such thing as the "Black Buick". Sorry!
You don't like reading RacingFreak, do you? :lol: I stated twice that this picture is from the screen position menu. I'm shocked that you still don't know the game in & out by now :P

And CarLuver — that's what I thought as well! I mentioned that too, in the last page I believe :P But I was never 100% sure. I always thought when I was small that it was an exclusive car / beta car, until I figured out that even on my TV, in some angles, it sometimes looked black :(

The car on the left (the beige one) has a really pale colour compared to the car seen in the game. This would confirm the less-colours theory. But look at the picture at the top of the page that I posted, the violet car and overall colours look the same :? Also, just noticed this, but I'm pretty sure this is a different timer as well? It should look like on the picture I posted. And shouldn't there be "Damage" written over the player's damage bar, and the name of the crook over his damage bar? :?
Yes I did post it, even now after telling you I did, you still don't know how to search and read, it seems.
Coyote wrote:I always thought there was also a black one. It's when you go in the settings (PS1) to set the screen position. But I think it's just the lightning, because mine too sometimes looked black.
Here's the post.

It's not edited either, you can ask any moderator to check it.

And why I posted this at all? Are you kidding me? Because we're investigating if it's the light, or if it's an actual beta car. Instead of posting stupid comments all the time, you could simply take part of the conversation with us, don't you think? Integration, ever heard? :P
Exactly! Does the video still exist/what was it about/does anyone have it? :P
If you eliminate reflections then it might be a bit different sight... im wondering if its not what I originally though - this can be the buick gsx with dark colours as the yellow wasnt too appropriate for an undercover cop and too obvious for buick gsx :)
The video doesn't work anymore sadly (the link is dead). I think it was this very short TV ad where the car crashes into a cop car and flips. But that happens near a park which is near the start point in Miami (PSX), and this is somewhere else.

Actually it looks kinda blue.

Some people said they removed the black/yellow textures because in Miami Tanner had this car that would draw attention and that looked lively, but in other cities he would drive a boring grey car. Well, that might not be exactly true. The car from los angeles has round tail lights and a different grill, it might be representing another model (not 3D model!) and it might have been the default car for LA. Then there's the red one that you posted. Might have been for another city, or for the desert. He might have had a special car like that in each city.

But I agree, for an undercover cop, it's a stupid car :P

I need to find a way to finally install Driver 1 for Mac that I have, who knows, maybe it's plenty of beta stuff :D
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]