Modding discussion for Driver.
A few of you already know about it, but for those who don't I have started releasing the current builds of the Driver Car Importer. Although it is not finished, there are still some usable parts and I release updates every so often. You can find it at http://code.google.com/p/driver-car-importer/.

Things that do work:
  • 1. Texture position editing
    2. Importing clean models
    3. Viewing textures
Things that do not work:
  • 1. Textures can not be imported except by the model importers
    2. Damage groups are not created yet, so damaged models do not do anything
Of course there's a ton of stuff to add to those lists that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll also use this thread to announce new releases.

Good luck trying to get it to work :) .

Don't forget to let me know about any bugs you find by adding to the Issues section of the project page. You can also let me know about suggestions or desired features there too (just don't forget to change the defect type when you fill out the form).
Last edited by someone972 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By MikuMikuCookie
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Friends Avatar
:3 Sounds good. Thanks. Wubwubwub.
By Fireboyd78
PrototypeDriver wrote:why the hell it's too hard this new car importer??
Please don't use that kind of language if you're having a problem. What is so difficult about this program? It's really quite easy!
By RacingFreak
Driver Car Importer being hard? I say bs on that. Giving up on such easy program, LOL!!

Jeff, I see nothing difficult in using DCI, IMO it's the easiest program I ever had to use for any game! All you're supposed to do in order to get any mod working is to click on Car Import Wizard, follow the instructions and BAM you're done. Easier than that I don't know.
By PrototypeDriver
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Friends Avatar
Vertex Patch
doesn't install it
DMODEL
i wanted to do damages for the GSX body
trying to open levels
two things there arent
it's my first time to trying that
BUT IT DOESN'T WORK WITH ME!!! :evil: :x
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I'll probably make a DMODEL importer eventually, but for now you'll have to convert it to obj. When you open the level and it says it can't find some files (presumably pcar_x.den and x.den?) it's probably because the vertex patch didn't install, eventually I'll make it more friendly to default level formats. As for the vertex patch not installing, is there anything in debug.txt that is important?
By Fireboyd78
From what I've gathered here, PrototypeDriver is trying to import DMODEL's using the Driver Car Importer. Please note that the DCI does NOT support .DMODEL filetypes at this time, and as someone972 has stated above, they will probably be supported in the future. If you're positive the Vertex Patch isn't installing properly, please post your "debug.txt" file here using the "code" bbcode.

Example:
Code: Select all
Contents of debug.txt
By someone972
I'm rewriting the level loading api at the moment, and also am working on another project at the same time, so it might be a while before the next update. I'll try and make it worth the wait though!
By someone972
I am now finally able to work exclusively on this project. I'll be reworking some API's I've written in the next day or two and really putting development into high-gear, so to speak. It looks like the community isn't too active right now, but that wont stop me :D. Let me know if you guys want me to post regularly on what I'm working on between now and the next pre-release. Since I rewrote the level API and am reworking the GUI to include more features it may be a bit before it gets back to its previous functionality.
By someone972
So far I have done the following:
- Fixed wheel definition API to use new coding style and to be safer to use.
- Redid entire denting API to be much safer, user friendly, and to be less likely to have memory leaks. The old code was pretty terrible.

That should about do it for fixing up the Driver file API's. The level loading API was recently rewritten, and I still have to add some logging to that, but it appears to load fine. I haven't written saving yet, but I will keep that for when there is something to actually save. The Cosmetics and D3D API's were written well so are good to use. I will now go through the rest of the files currently in the project and fix up any terrible code before proceeding to work on more features. This will ensure that I don't run into any snags later on.
By someone972
Does DCI will support multi materials ?
I'm not 100% sure on this one, at least for player cars. For other models you can use multiple textures without issue*. For player cars I think that you might be able to use multiple textures, but I've never tried it. You can use as many damage textures as you want though, since they are kept in ram and not video memory.

*It's pretty easy to overflow the default vertex arrays and/or texture limit. When the texture limit is reached it starts putting the first texture (with the trees) in place of the texture it should be using. The patch I made expands the vertex arrays to 2 MB each, and increases the number of textures that you can have. It's not been tested very much however, so it may need revising.
I think it is already supported multi textures, but aint sure. Jeff, is the damage fixed atlast?
The damage has been fixed for quite a while, ever since the new DEN format came out. The only problem has been that I haven't written the functionality to create/edit the damage in the DCI yet (which is what I assume you were asking about). It has not been completed yet, but it will be added sometime in the future.
By someone972
I changed my mind and decided to work on level saving for the past couple days. I've just finished ironing out the initial bugs, and I can now open the original level, save it to a new file, and load that file in the game without any issues (that I can tell). I figured it would be more rewarding to see the changes I make in the program in-game, which is why I changed my mind on what to work on first. I'm not sure what will be next though.
By someone972
I've been slacking off a bit the past few days, but today I made some good progress. I've fixed up and reintegrated the texture position editor and the texture browser. Probably the next step will be to add texture imports/exports among some other texture related stuff such as adding/deleting textures. Model rendering still isn't implemented yet, since I can't decide what the best method to render them with is.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]