Modding discussion for Driver.
By parabolee
Registration Days
Hi Folks.

After buying this for the iPhone I decided to dust off my PC version (no director mode on iPhone). Such a great game.

After searching around I have been unable to find a patch or hack to play the game in a widescreen resolution. Does anyone know if this is possible, looks a bit crappy all stretched out on my HDTV.

Thanks
By cleone
Max out the resolution. That may help a little.
By Driver of DOOM
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Yea, but I think it only comes in 4:3 modes up to 1024x1280, damn you now I'm gonna have a go!
By cleone
Driver of DOOM wrote:Yea, but I think it only comes in 4:3 modes up to 1024x1280, damn you now I'm gonna have a go!
No, I think it goes up to 1600x1200.
By cleone
bb_42001 wrote:big widescreen moniters weren't the norm around then so i doubt it would have a max resolution of 1600X1200
I used to play a lot of old games, and a lot of them supported up to 1600x1200, but no higher than that.
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I might be able to mod it so that it has widescreen resolutions. The biggest determining factor is whether or not glide has support for those modes. (For those who don't know glide is an outdated opengl implementation that uses reletively few functions.)

Edit: Changed glut to glide.
Last edited by someone972 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
It's been break for the past 2 weeks so I've just been relaxing a bit. For a good bit of time I was setting up my new computer, and after I got it set up I started playing STALKER: Shadow Of Chernobyl and gmod for a bit. Don' t worry though, I plan on getting a lot done now. I'll try and get on messenger with you Dr. Doom sometime in the next few days, definitely by the end of the weekend.

As for the widescreen thing: I looked into glide and it looks like it doesn't support most common widescreen modes such as 1280x800. There is a 1280x960, but many moniters will not accept that resolution. Probably the easiest thing would be to see if your monitor supports keeping the aspect ratio. (In mine it is under a stretch-mode setting)
By Fireboyd78
Yeah, I just play on 640 X 480 so the cars don't become stretched, since I play on a 1680 x 1050 monitor now...
By Prof. Christopher Von III
Sorry for the bump, but i have some questions.
Is it possible to let driver run in resolution of 1400x900 with a hacked exe?
Is it possible to increase/remove the FPS limit of 50 FPS?
By Fireboyd78
No, Glide does not support 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions, and why would you care about removing the 50 FPS limit? That's plenty fast for even modern day computers!

Sorry, but widescreen isn't possible for Driver. The Glide functions don't support it.
By Prof. Christopher Von III
When i play NFS Hot Pursuit 2 i get a FPS of over 200, over 200
By RacingFreak
HP2 is crap, it`s the shame slap at NFS series from EA (sth, which happened with Driver, to be honest). Although I`m not caring serious about higher resolution and so on, because... my comp is sh*t. I`m running all my games on it at 640x480 resolution at 16bit color for desktop. On my opinion it IS NORMAL Driver and Glide to do not support widescreen, because... of the logic! Driver is created on old CRT monitors (as mine) and at this time/era I don`t know if there exist 16:9 monitors. Also, to have/create a mod like that, means mission impossible, if only Ubi didn`t create a widescreen hack.

Please correct me if I`m not sayin` da truth.

After some testing, I got it to work. You have use[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4