Modding discussion for Driver.
By Fireboyd78
BEFORE YOU ASK QUESTIONS - READ THE README!

Q: I cannot export images

A: Do you have the most recent version? A non-working version was accidentally released, then the working version was released. If that isn't the case, are you adding the extension to the end of the file? ( .BMP, .TGA, .PCX )

If none of these are your problem, feel free to give a detailed description.

Q: My images come out very weird and ****ed up when I import them

A: First of all, here's a breakdown on how to save images:

• Save 15-Bit Truecolor Images as 24-bit BMP or 24-bit TGA in RGB Color mode

• Save Transparent 15-Bit Truecolor Images as 24-bit BMP or 24-bit TGA in Indexed Color mode with transparency checked (ALL TRANSPARENT PARTS ARE 8R, 8G, 8B ; OR 080808)

• Save Paletted Images as 8-bit BMP or 8-bit TGA in Indexed Color mode

If you are replacing multiple palette images, then yes, for 0.9B it is absolutely normal for the rest of the palettes to become messed up. This problem should be fixed in future releases.

If none of these fit your criteria, feel free to ask a question

Q: I have never modified before, yet when I load a level the images are discolored. WTF?

A: Did you load the correct .D3D file that corresponds to that .LEV file? If not, there you go.

If you're getting a weird problem that doesn't fit this criteria, ask!

Along the line, more questions will come up.

~~CarLuver69~~
Creator/Editor of the readme, Beta Tester of program
By Fireboyd78
If you're too lazy to bring up readme.txt, here is the readme straight from the file.
Driver Readme wrote://*********************Driver Texture Editor(0.9B)*********************\\

##########
#Installation#
#########

Run the program first, then exit. Open "settings.ini" with notepad and adjust it according to your needs. See Section 3 for options.

That's it, you're done!

##############
#Table of Contents#
#############

1) Release Notes
2) Using the Driver Texture Editor
3) Settings
4) Image Importing/Exporting Tutorial
5) Support/Contact

##############
#1) Release Notes#
#############

######
#0.9B#
#####

• First public release
• Some palette saving issues (civ cars get messed up)

#########################
#2) Using the Driver Texture Editor#
########################

##NOTE: Before using this program, it is suggested that you make a backup of your Levels directory in case anything goes wrong.##

a) Opening A Level
b) The Palettes Menu
c) Using The Image Wall
d) The Image Menu
e) The Help Menu
f) The Update Button
g) The Side Panel

###############
#a) Opening A Level#
##############

To open a level, go to File --> Open --> LEV.

When the first window pops up, navigate to the folder containing the level you want to open and choose it. After that, a second window should come up asking for a d3d file. Navigate to the level folder and choose the corresponding d3d file.

The d3d file tells which palettes to use for paletted images, so make sure to choose the right one.

#################
#b) The Palettes Menu#
################

After a level has been opened, a palettes menu should appear in the toolbar. The only option is "Delete Unused Palettes". If you click this option, the program will go through the d3d file and find all the palettes that are being used, then delete the ones that are not.

This can be used to get rid of extra palettes after replacing a paletted image.

###################
#c) Using The Image Wall#
##################

Once a level has been opened, images will appear in the image wall. You can double click on any image to see a full size version of it.

To zoom the images in or out, use CTRL and either the scroll wheel or A/Z. If you have a paletted image selected, you can change the palette used with the up and down arrows.

###############
#d) The Image Menu#
###############

When an image is selected, the image menu will appear in the toolbar.

Clicking "About" will give the flags for the image - most people shouldn't be concerned with this.

If you click "Export", a window will come up - you must type in the name of the file, including the extension (BMP,PCX,TGA) that you wish to save. It will save the image that is currently selected.

When you click "Import", it will allow you to navigate to the image you want to import to the selected spot. IMPORTANT! - If the image is paletted the imported image MUST be 8-bit (same as 256-color and Indexed) (For photoshop users, go to Image - Mode - Indexed Color).

15-bit images should be saved as 24-bit.

##DO NOT IMPORT TO A MULTI PALETTED IMAGE, FOR IT WILL CAUSE STRANGE COLORS!##

##############
#e) The Help Menu#
##############

There are two options in the help menu. "Help" will tell you to refer to this readme, and about will bring up an about box showing the version and credits.

################
#f) The Update Button#
################

The first time you click the "Check For Updates" button, you may need to allow the program past your firewall. If it is blocked by the firewall, it will say that no updates are available, so you should check again.

After it has been allowed to connect to the internet, it will tell you if a new version is available, or will say no updates are available. There is no way to download a new version from within the program, you must do that manually.

###########
#g) Side Panel#
##########

The side panel contains information about the selected image.

It will tell you what number it is, and whether it is 15-bit or paletted.

If it is 15-bit, it will also say if there are any transparent parts in the image.
Once the image is exported, the transparent color is (8red, 8green, 8blue).

If the image is paletted it will tell you how many palettes are used, and which palette is currently being used.

##########
#3) Settings#
#########

These settings apply to the settings.ini file.

==========
Video Mode
==========

color_depth - The color depth used by the program. It is suggested that this stays at 32 or 24.

width - Width of the window. This should stay as 800.

height - Height of window. This should stay as 600.

fullscreen - The video mode. It is suggested that this stays as 2.

=============
Miscellaneous
=============

use_mip_maps - Tells the program to use mip maps for 15-bit textures, which makes them look better but takes up more memory.

fast_quit - If this is set to 1, it will allow the program to exit without asking if yes or no.

===========
Directories
===========

lev_directory - The last directory you were in when you loaded a level.

d3d_directory - The last directory you were in when you loaded a d3d file.

############################
#4) Image Importing/Exporting Tutorial#
###########################

##IMPORTANT NOTICE: When you're replacing the Buick Skylark's front grille texture, there will be a black line running through it.

This is not caused by D.T.E or high res textures, this is because the 3d model has a missing polygon/and or is not welded properly.

Take my advice, I myself am a 3d modeler. -CarLuver69##

This is what the program is meant to do. First, you'll want to find the image you want do so some editing to, and then click on the Image tab and click "Export".

Save the file as a BMP, PCX, or TGA with the name of your choice (MyImage.BMP for an example).

Some images contain a color (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue in 24-bit) that turns that part of the image transparent in-game. Since this color is near black, the program will tell you if there are any transparent parts in the side panel.

Examples of transparent images include the streetlights, hubcaps, bushes, etc.

Once you get the image saved, open it up in your favorite image editing program.

However, it isn't recommended to use Microsoft© Paint, as this program is completely useless for true image editing.

The following programs are recommended:

Paint.NET (Free)
Adobe Photoshop 7.0+/Elements+ ($$$)
The GIMP (Free)

After you have finished editing your image, save as either a 24-bit BMP file, PCX file, or TGA file.

Go back to the D.T.E, go to the Image tab, and click Import. Select which image you want to re-import into Driver, and you're done!

See how simple it was to make a new texture? Now all thats left to do is to test it in game. If it was successful, then congratulations, you're done!

-CarLuver69 (driver_king@hotmail.com | CarLuver69 [drivermadness.net])

###############
#5) Support/Contact#
###############

someone972 - Developer - someone972sgames@hotmail.com
If the program is crashing, be sure to include debug.txt, which is located in the program's directory.

MODS - DO NOT DELETE THIS POST
By cleone
Yo, what the hell. It just keeps on crashing!!!! I can't do crap in this program.
EDIT: Never mind. It stopped doing it.
By Maverick
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
PrototypeDriver wrote:i have win7 since 2 days but now i'm having problem with Driver Texture Editor 2.0
when i open it, quickly closes itself!
I'm having this problem on windows 8 also, compatibility mode doesn't seem to work either. Try the older version of driver texture editor it seems to work fine :)
By Fireboyd78
Strange, Maverick and PrototypeDriver are the only 2 reported cases of this particular problem. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and not once have I encountered this issue. Can you please post the error the program spits out and also see if "debug" says anything?
By Maverick
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
CarLuver69 wrote:Strange, Maverick and PrototypeDriver are the only 2 reported cases of this particular problem. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and not once have I encountered this issue. Can you please post the error the program spits out and also see if "debug" says anything?
Sure. The window instantly goes white and then the "driver_texture_editor is not working. windows is searching for a solution" window pops up. Debug is blank, it just says 'debug file initialized'
RacingFreak wrote:I had that error before and I remember ntdll fixed it (either that or new administrator account)
Thanks for trying to help, unfortunately the result is still the same after i put ntdll into the folder.
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Once I get in touch with one of the people who is having the issue I will try to get a fixed version out. If there are any bugs that need fixed let me know in this thread and I'll see if I can get some while I'm poking around in the mess that is DTE's source. If I remember correctly, some people were having issues with transparency importing so I'll look into that as well.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]