Discussion for Driver: Parallel Lines (2006)
By Coyote
I've seen some of you have been talking about the beta game. Years ago when the game came out I made a thread on Driver-Dimension, as I did for Driv3r and Stuntman as well, telling all the differences to the released game.

- Cop cars in 1978 have different lights (red / blue instead of orange / red, plus they have a complete different shape)

- Wayfarer has only big grill instead of two smaller grills

- Cops and TK have pistols instead of revolvers in 1978 (perhaps pistols were replacing revolvers at that point)

- Namorra looked different (only realized this when someone said that in the PS2 demo thread, I was always wondering what this car was. How dumb haha)

- Cerrano looks more tuned (no idea what I was trying to say, I'm just writing down what I've written down on Driver-Dimension back then haha)

- Some FMV's were not used

- Some unknown cars are not appearing in the final version (one of them is the Namorra, now we know that so that's one less car. By the way I always thought this Beta Namorra looked like the Driver 2 Havana cop car. Or maybe also a bit like the other car, which always comes in white + a second color)

- Closed door: http://www.driver-dimension.com/photos_ ... /image.jpg (This could be achieved easily, for example by getting in the prison through the tricks that let you do it. The door is closed as well there. Plus devs have more options…)

- Car at the front = car from Driver 2 (there we go): http://www.driver-dimension.com/photos_ ... 509078.jpg

- Unknown place: http://www.driver-dimension.com/photos_ ... 509076.jpg Which isn't true, it's somewhere in New Jersey near the nice houses.

- Unknown car: http://www.driver-dimension.com/photos_ ... 509072.jpg Namorra again…

- Red & Blue police lights: http://www.driver-dimension.com/photos_ ... 509075.jpg You can also see TK holding a pistol. And the really cool traffic system! :) Which leads us to…

- More "active" traffic: That means other people getting chased by cops (I don't think this ever happens, does it?), random traffic jams, random construction sites (yes this kind of happens, I sometimes used to see a Dolva surrounded by some stuff you would usually see on a construction site. I think it always only spawned on bridges, and then it disappeared again, and sometimes it would return).

- Buildings (or Houses?) burning and Fire truck rushing to those places.

- Crooks steeling cars (or stuff, not sure what however) and hitting or shooting at you.

- First mission (liquor store) took place during day

- Grand Valley has a roof

- TK's Cerrano is brown instead of black (probably I found this out because of the demo, but then again it might even have been red earlier as we see a red one everywhere. Yeah I remember I painted mine even red to have it like the sponsored car :D)

- Apparantly the pistols that was replaced by the revolver is the original pistol from Tanner in Driv3r (needs to be confirmed, but would make sense since they maybe didn't have the revolver designed yet)

- Different HUD

- Different Ads around the city

- Is this a 2006 gun? http://www.driver-dimension.com/photos_ ... /wii11.jpg I don't remember anymore… could be the same as the one that was replaced by a revolver in 1978 and the one from Tanner in Driv3r

- Different Taxi signs on certain Taxis

- Cars had different names (I got that from you guys? It should be like that)

So far that's it, if you have more post it here! :)

PS: Will post a thread for Driv3r and Stuntman soon, have tons more than for DPL :)
Blasteddotz liked this
By Coyote
PostalDude wrote:The demo for DPL was running on an earlier version of the Stuntman/D3 engine-I bet it was still the D3 version, judging by the shadows, reflections and lighting.
Serious? Wow. I didn't know that.

I remember a funny thing also, when you went down to the Central Park there was sometimes a row of 4 police cars or so that were just standing there, in the middle of the road. Nobody inside or anything, just parked there haha.
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:
PostalDude wrote:The demo for DPL was running on an earlier version of the Stuntman/D3 engine-I bet it was still the D3 version, judging by the shadows, reflections and lighting.
Serious? Wow. I didn't know that.

I remember a funny thing also, when you went down to the Central Park there was sometimes a row of 4 police cars or so that were just standing there, in the middle of the road. Nobody inside or anything, just parked there haha.
The car handling is also different-cars feel heavier and seem to have more body roll. There's also a couple peds that aren't in the final version, and some different ped lines. There's also this one ambiance sound effect that isn't in the final version-it sounds like a car with dual exhausts accelerating in the distance.
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:Very interesting, thanks for sharing :)
No problem. :)
The following songs were meant to be on the soundtrack, as well:
ELO-Turn To Stone
ELO-Mr. Blue Sky
Jimi Hendrix-Crosstown Traffic
Jimi Hendrix-Purple Haze
Winfield Parker-S.O.S
By max.thunder
[youtube size=420X315]
[/youtube]
Seems that this was included in a DVD from Official PS Magazine.
By Coyote
Wow what the hell, we have more than I thought then.

The first part is just a "draft" by the devs I would see, they just picked some pics to have a general image of what it would look like. I say that because I see pics from Google maps haha.

But the part with the Benz, I think this is either fake or I'm really impressed!
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:Wow what the hell, we have more than I thought then.

The first part is just a "draft" by the devs I would see, they just picked some pics to have a general image of what it would look like. I say that because I see pics from Google maps haha.

But the part with the Benz, I think this is either fake or I'm really impressed!
Part with the Benz was also just a rough draft of the final version of that scene, with TK hauling ass down the freeway at night in the Cerrano.
Olanov managed to get that version of S.O.S off Spotify, however it's pretty quiet.
By max.thunder
[youtube size=420X315]
[/youtube]

And what about this vid? The HUD looks different.
By Coyote
Haha just checked this some minutes ago. I remember, madness posted this. The ads on Times Square are different too, and the Taxi signs. And the HUD obviously. You can see all of that in the video!
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:Fantastic! :) I wish they had some Benz in DSF, that made me really sad… but ok it's about Muscle Cars!
Martin actually said if they had gotten Benz's license, they would have put the W108 from The Driver in.
@ Max, yep, I remember that vid. Ads in Times Square are different, a couple of the ads on the taxis are different as well.
By Coyote
Yeah they wanted to add the W108 (or W100? Thought it was a 600, but no you're right would be too expensive haha), then also the 300SL and a couple newer ones.

He said it was the whole The Getaway thing that messed it up.
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:Yeah they wanted to add the W108 (or W100? Thought it was a 600, but no you're right would be too expensive haha), then also the 300SL and a couple newer ones.

Indeed....imagine what it would have been like in an alternate universe where all the cars intended to be in The Getaway were in? Woulda been sweet. Plus-classic Mercs in DSF.
BTW-I remember stumbling across that '89 Chevrolet Ambulance wheel model renement-pretty awesome.
By Coyote
PostalDude wrote:
Coyote wrote:Yeah they wanted to add the W108 (or W100? Thought it was a 600, but no you're right would be too expensive haha), then also the 300SL and a couple newer ones.

Indeed....imagine what it would have been like in an alternate universe where all the cars intended to be in The Getaway were in? Woulda been sweet. Plus-classic Mercs in DSF.
BTW-I remember stumbling across that '89 Chevrolet Ambulance wheel model tenement-pretty awesome.
Hehe I know, but I mean I love the game already the way it is.

Sorry what is tenement? Looked it up and it says "House" haha :P You meant he car from DSF? Because the Chevy ambulance is from DSF, I don't know why I started talking about the Merc and DSF haha, I think the many threads are confusing me (I'm writing another thread also about Driv3r right now…)
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:
PostalDude wrote:

BTW-I remember stumbling across that '89 Chevrolet Ambulance wheel model tenement-pretty awesome.
Hehe I know, but I mean I love the game already the way it is.

Sorry what is tenement? Looked it up and it says "House" haha :P You meant he car from DSF? Because the Chevy ambulance is from DSF, I don't know why I started talking about the Merc and DSF haha, I think the many threads are confusing me (I'm writing another thread also about Driv3r right now…)
Exactly the amount of threads are confusing me as well, and that was an autocorrect screw up, haha.
Last edited by PostalDude on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Coyote
You found the house of the ambulance? I don't get it :P

What is with the Ambulance? I'm sorry I won't be able to get it, everything was overwritten. It's like with the Mulsanne, stuff is still there but in fact it's the Arnage :|
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:You found the house of the ambulance? I don't get it :P

What is with the Ambulance? I'm sorry I won't be able to get it, everything was overwritten. It's like with the Mulsanne, stuff is still there but in fact it's the Arnage :|
xD, Stupid auto correct.
That's pretty strange.
By Coyote
Oops my bad just read your edited post!

Still not sure what you mean, we were never able to see the Ambulance, it was replaced long time before we even saw the first screens! Same thing as with the tram, I'm wondering what do they looked like. Were people inside? That's so interesting :)
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:Oops my bad just read your edited post!

Still not sure what you mean, we were never able to see the Ambulance, it was replaced long time before we even saw the first screens! Same thing as with the tram, I'm wondering what do they looked like. Were people inside? That's so interesting :)
Yeah, I screwed up lol. What I meant was, I saw the text referring to the wheel model for the '89 Chevy Ambulance.
By PostalDude
PostalDude wrote:I gotta try XA2WAV on that demo.
I forgot what screenshot it was, but the Rhapsody had a different frontclip. I think it had pop up headlights. :shock:
sh*t, the game is in an .IMG.
By PostalDude
Beta textures found in DPL:
Altus LOD-Racer version wheels and front like the real 300C:
Bonsai-2 headlights:
Cerva-differently shaped rear "boat tail" and racer version wheels:
Chaffeur LOD-Front and rear exactly like a Lincoln:
Colanna Racer-Wheels off the civillian Colanna and different graphics:
Indiana LOD-basically looked exactly like a Chrysler Pacifica:
Bus LOD-Was clean and had an ad on the side:
Regina-Different headlight texture:
Grand Valley LOD-Bumper guards and a roof:
Wayfarer LOD-Checker grill:
I got more. :D
Rosalita LOD-Had a roof(!)
San Marino-looked exactly like a Corvette Stingray (C2)
Gonna cheap out on the final couple and not use textures, just renders from Driver Dimension.
Raven-Different wheels
Boldius-Different headlights
Zartex-different lightbar:
Pangea-no hanging license plate:

Hi. I saw in Helegad's thread about beta stuff in […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg