Discussion for DRIV3R (2004)
By Driv3r fan
Registration Days Posts
I've noticed a glitch in Miami when in 18 wheeler havoc mode.

If I drive to the island with the bridge you can raise and lower and play around there for a bit a cop will appear on the map. along with the 18 wheelers which assume is not supposed to happen.

Anyways after what seems like a variable length of time the game will crash to the desktop.

Is there any fix for that.

Also since I'm new to the forums are there any fixes for the other issues with the game?
By Skylabh
This glitch happens also on the consoles versions. In this case, the game just freeze so a reboot of the console is necessary. And as you said, it's not supposed to happen so no fix for that bug.
By Driv3r fan
Registration Days Posts
Oh ok.

Any actual bug fixes or is that something which has yet to be able to be done?

Also is it just my old computer or does the game slow down to a crawl at random after playing a long time then straightens itself out after a bit?

I just rediscovered the game a few days ago and had forgotten how absolutely fun it is.
By Driv3r fan
Registration Days Posts
I'll have to check those threads out.

My computer used an AMD 3000+ processor overclocked to 2.19 GHz (safest I can go without the system being unstable) with 2 gigs of RAM and an ABIT motherboard using an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT graphics card with Windows XP SP3.

I had planned on installing it on a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop running WIndows 10, but I cannot find all my install disks. Don't know how well it will run on it graphics wise as it uses on board ATI graphics. I once had the game on a Gateway laptop of a similar age which used on board ATI graphics and some of the graphics weren't right. Then again the Dell seems to be better performance wise so it could have better on board graphics.

Also I noticed that on my desktop which is something it did from day 1 of playing the game is the desktop background picture on both monitors will sometimes disappear when I exit the game.
By Driv3r fan
Registration Days Posts
I've also noticed this. Yesterday I was playing in niece and I saw a car go then turn towards a building and then disappear hood first into the ground.

Also have noticed how quirky the cops really are when you are not in sight of them especially when they are after you. What's interesting is a cop may be quirky, but if you look the direction the cop is in the quirkiness usually stops. An example is a cop crossing water which a car cannot normally go through. Look the cop's direction and the car stops in the water like it would normally do in deeper water.

I wonder if a lot of the quirks and glitches in how the game runs are due to a lack of error handling or just simply poor coding.
By Skylabh
Sometimes the AI is a little strange in this game. Another example, if you shoot a cop who is in the water, when he dies he's in levitation above the water. Strange but funny. Or you have a cop car which appears above yours.
By Driv3r fan
Registration Days Posts
Yes some of the AI is definitely strange.

I'll have to admit that there's nothing more funny than the 18 wheelers in Miami during 18 wheeler anarchy mode.
By Driv3r fan
Registration Days Posts
Awesome.

What I think is happening in 18 wheeler havoc mode is the 18 wheelers may use some of the same code as is used for the cops and there may be instances where a cop can still be generated, but nothing to tell it not to generate a cop. When the cops and 18 wheelers try to use the same code it may be that the program simply cannot handle that or maybe if the cops aren't supposed to be there at all during 18 wheeler havoc mode the game doesn't really know what to do other than let the cops act as cops and the 18 wheelers act as they do which could tie back in to the code sharing and create a situation where something goes wrong and the game kicks out an error it cannot handle and thusfore causes the game to glitch out.

I do know that in some instances the 18 wheelers can block a road just like cops can.

Thing is I don't know if the cops are really supposed to be present during 18 wheeler havoc mode, but given they disappear initially my guess would be no.

Sometimes if you have a high felony rating you will still have cops appear on foot during 18 wheeler havoc mode and if your felony meter is low or nothing as long as you stay away from the small island with the docs and drawbridge cops will usually not generate.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]