Discussion for DRIV3R (2004)
By helegad
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
"Imagine trawling through radio stations late at night, so late it’s starting to be early. You find a signal where you never noticed one before. You hear a DJ talking, playing tunes, and talking, and it’s like the unstoppable last will and testimony of a lost prophet spilling out into the world. If no one listens he still talks all the same, pours out what his experience and insight over long dark years have given him. And for a time you listen, as he carries you on a journey which, though his, is also yours and everybody’s. Then the next night you may try to find him again, and the station will be gone.

This was the voice of Iggy Pop."
I went to a beautiful place. There were angels. Just like in the books. With white, glossy wings and trumpet music. And I knew I was dead. And then I saw my mother. And she was calling me. And I had to come back. And when I came back, it hurt.

I took a big hit of gas. When I exhaled, I saw Buddha on the ceiling, shimmering. He was like a ghost, like a phantom, with such detail! All that out of my mind.

Two sweet boys from Detroit living in the bridal suite at the Royal Gardens Hotel, with nothing much to do but spend Colombia's money. One big nose, one wierdo, a couple of hairdos, and a bottle of pills.

Death came as a woman. A very sexy and large woman, with dog paws, teeth, and claws.

The boy from the city is operating with an overload of information. It makes him real cool and real interesting, as long as it doesn't get on top of him. Bye bye, boy.

I felt drawn to Europe, somewhere where life wasn't so haywire and overenthusiastic.

The Americans get on jags, until they get dog-dizzy with whatever they're attacking this month. I needed to go somewhere where life and death had happened too many times already. Get up, eat, make love, sleep, repeat. Culture.

The Devil is beautiful, that's why he's the Devil. The Mullers(?) say music will stupify you, make you ripe for the Devil. They've got a point.

I was driving, just driving along one day, and I swore I heard a sound in the trunk, or shall I say the 'boot' of the car. I pulled over, got out of the car, walked back... Move over, baby.

Move over, little dog!

It was a perfect afternoon in Miami. I was driving in my Rolls with the top down, seventy-something degrees, beautiful blue sky with puffy, forgiving clouds. Down my own street as it happened, manicured lawns, rent-a-palms, oh, what's this? Jesus, it's a crackwhore, she's got blown off-course. It happens around here.

Here's Narco. What do you think?

Victim. I hate that word. I hate all the smug things you hear; what talk show hosts, pop stars say about it on TV. [mimicking a talk show host/pop star] The victim was 23. The victim was 72. The victim was drunk. The victim was tall. The victim was ugly. The victim was pretty.

A wise old novelist once said that anybody could rig up their own border: just rent a cheap trailer, a portajohn, and a little bumper bar to go over the highway, and a guy in a funny suit to collect immigration material, and you've got a state. These days, things are kinda disintegrating. Stateless is getting to be a scary word. I used to think it was beautiful, a beautiful dream, it used to be for real crap. Fly away like a bird... Birds get shot down.

I bought a watch. A nice watch. I wanted to see what time it was. I still don't feel as if I know, but time is running out. I can't face that: time is zero.

Here comes the money again. Jesus, always the money. Back to the money. Egyptians said he who eludes the money bill, it chases him. He who chases the money bill, it eludes him. Either way, it's back to the money.

You make mistakes, and then you die. And then you come back, and make the same mistakes, and then you die. And then you come back, and make the same mistakes, over and over, he said.
Last edited by helegad on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A wise old novelist once said that anybody could rig up their own border: just rent a cheap trailer, a portajohn, and a little bumper bar to go over the highway, and dye in a funny suit to collect immigration material, and you've got a state. These days, things are kinda disintegrating. Stateless is getting to be a scary word. I used to think it was beautiful, a beautiful dream, it used to be for real crap. Far away like a bird; birds get shot down.
"Feeling kinda gray, I've been inside too long
Gotta head outside, and think it over
A plain kinda life, staring into space too long
Gotta head for the highland, see you again." Loved that mans voice. So soft, so smooth... what's his name?

[youtube]
[/youtube]
I understand that he's referring to the music in some lines ("Here's Narco. What do you think?"), but the but none of it really fits with or refers to Driver 3. Originally I thought it was Mickey Rourke speaking as Jericho, but now I'm not so sure.
Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:20 pm
A wise old novelist once said that anybody could rig up their own border: just rent a cheap trailer, a portajohn, and a little bumper bar to go over the highway, and dye in a funny suit to collect immigration material, and you've got a state. These days, things are kinda disintegrating. Stateless is getting to be a scary word. I used to think it was beautiful, a beautiful dream, it used to be for real crap. Far away like a bird; birds get shot down.
"Feeling kinda gray, I've been inside too long
Gotta head outside, and think it over
A plain kinda life, staring into space too long
Gotta head for the highland, see you again." Loved that mans voice. So soft, so smooth... what's his name?
https://www.discogs.com/artist/818147-Stateless-2

Chris James, apparently. Great song.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]