Discussion for DRIV3R (2004)
By pete
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
How many of you knew that the intro of DRIV3R is a homage to the 1995 movie "Heat" with Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino? I have made a picture in picture video to compare the two and I have found a lot of similarities.
By Coyote
pete wrote:They also changed the entire layout of his house for the intro
Do you mean the House looked different in very early stages of the game? :) It would be cool to see some pics if that's what you meant!
By pete
It seems that the house keeps changing all throughout the intro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By pete
A few shots later the house looks like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Coyote
Yeah that's weird about the kitchen, I never really figured out where things are when watching the cutscene. But it could be that some of them have simply been horizontally inverted, maybe to "confuse" the player, a bit like in movies, where you never see where things are, etc. It kind of puts some action :P
By Badnick24
Nice comparison :) I was laughing seeing how the two played together so similarly. I heard a while ago they were making a game of the movie Heat. Maybe Reflections should do it
By max.thunder
Great post! As considered one of the best movies it looks that many games were inspired by it, also the GTA IV bank robbery, and the GTA V armored van heist.

After watching the movie i found another scene in Driv3r inspired by this movie. It almost the same conversation in the movie where Neil McCully (De Niro) calls Roger Van Zant and tells him he's a dead man.
pete wrote:It seems that the house keeps changing all throughout the intro
Awesome comparison shots, never noticed it before.
By Fab2cent
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
pete wrote:It seems that the house keeps changing all throughout the intro
so tanner enters through the side door, not the main door, so the table he places his gun on is in the right position, or am i looking at it wrong :?:
By pete
Holy cow, I think you're right! Nevermind my previous posts guys, the intro is perfectly fine.
By pete
Okay, wait.

Tanner DOES walk in through the side door, but there still is a mystery glass brick wall next to the kitchen and the second floor is mirrored.
By Coyote
I’m not sure, maybe in the game it was done wrongly and it should have been a glass brick wall as well. Because the one of the left of the main entry is one, see what I mean?

Or maybe it’s not a glass brick wall at all. Maybe it’s just “Fliesen” or “Kacheln”, since you’re german you should understand what I mean, I sadly don’t know what these are called in english. But it would make sense, since they’re on the kitchen wall. I guess the game version of the house just isn’t as detailed?
By pete
I'm pretty sure those are glass bricks, since you can see light coming from behind them, which doesn't really make sense since the light would then be in the doorway of the main entrance. Also the position of the second floor is more than just a detail.
I think I'm gonna try to recreate the house from the Intro in Hammer from the Source SDK.
By Detective_Tanner95
Registration Days Avatar
A user once uploaded a video on Youtube to show comparisons of the intro of Driv3r and the Downtown L.A. shootout in Heat, it was a pretty cool video, really showed the similarities, I also think Driv3r is inspired by earlier Tarantino movies, showing the ending shootout first then skipping to the beginning, also Michael Madsen and Ving Rhames in the cast :D
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]