Discussion for Driver 76 (2007)
By Coyote
We now know that Driver 76 most likely uses the beta online multiplayer mode from Driver: Parallel Lines.

I've just spent an hour trying to find my PSP again, and thank god the Driver 76 disc was inside. I can't find the Driver 76 box however. Which would be useful because on the box it says what type of multiplayer it is. I think it's one where you need to be beside each other sadly :( If it was a *real* online multiplayer, the servers would be down already. And I wouldn't be able to access the lobby, because that's what I'm doing right now.

Here are the modes and available vehicles.

Carnage

Locations: Deconstruction Site, Bronx Arena

Circuit Race

Locations: Hunt's Point, La Guardia, Jersey

Street Race

Locations: Redhook, Village, La Guardia, Bronx, Kearny, Coney, Midtown,

Point to Point

Locations: La Guardia Sprint, Manhattan Sprint, Long Island Sprint

VEHICLES

Sports: San Marino, Melizzano, Bonsai, Raven,

2 Door Saloon: Rosalita, Fairview, Rhapsody, Grand Valley, Namorra

4 Door Saloon: Wayfarer, Chauffeur, Regina, Pangea,

Muscle: Cerrano, Brooklyn, Cerva, Andec

Commercial: School Bus, Courier, Dolva Flatbed, Firetruck, Dozer,

Utility: Woody, Gran Roamer

So, my opinion on this… first, I am disappointed that there's no takedown or such a thing. Where have capture the flag, takedown, hide & seek disappeared? Especially takedown, I mean it's what Driver is basically all about. Destruction Derby however sounds cool.

When you host a match yourself, you get some options obviously (similar to DSF). You can basically choose the type of game, the location, and which class of cars is allowed. Players can only choose the cars of that class. I think it's cool that you can actually choose your car, even if it's limited to one class. But that would mean that you would have a race with several different cars. This might not be fair, but it's each players decision which car they take. In DSF all players start with the same car.

Another pro is that there's actually trucks available. You can't choose these for multiplayer in DSF. That means except if you happen to see one on the street. But the idea of a destruction derby that is firetruck vs school bus or school vs. dozer is pretty damn cool.

A con is that there doesn't seem to be any free roam for multiplayer.

I'd love to play this! :(

Edit // There is also a pink slip option but I didn't know what it means, so I googled it and found this here on IGN:
Multiplayer will also play a role in Driver '76, with four multiplayer modes via ad hoc, including the option to pink slip the cars that you've acquired through the game.
Apparently you're not limited to the cars in the classes, but you can also have all of those that you've acquired in story mode :D That's so cool, I enabled this pink slip mode and yeah it seems like all cars are there. Fantastic!
This little quote however also tells us that the multiplayer is only ad hoc, which sadly means you can only play against someone who's in the same room as you :( The pro of that is of course that you can play even when servers are down, but the chance (for me personally) of finding someone who plays that is very small… they could have made both, ad hoc and normal mode :?
By Olanov
Damn, so no getaway like gamemode where one's a cop and the other guy is getaway? Jesus, always thought so based on the trailer of the game as shown here:

Talks about "head to head multiplayer" and shows some dude (more likely Ray) making a getaway from cops. Always figured it was a getaway like gamemode... shame. I like a lot of things about 76' though, the came angle on car so it's not locked, the moods also seem different than the one seen in DPL. I don't know why, but the whole thing seems more beta-ish.
By Coyote
Nah man I guess that's just random clips they've taken with text on top of them :(

I downloaded a PSP emulator but I'm stuck with copying my UMD of Driver 76 now. It seems that this emulator (JPCSP or something like that) also allows online play. That means if I manage to run it, I could play against myself (Mac vs. PSP basically) and check out those multiplayer levels. There might be hidden stuff about DPL in there :)

Also it's a big shame it never had a normal online mode, I would have loved to play it and I would still do!
By cleone
Coyote wrote:Nah man I guess that's just random clips they've taken with text on top of them :(

I downloaded a PSP emulator but I'm stuck with copying my UMD of Driver 76 now. It seems that this emulator (JPCSP or something like that) also allows online play. That means if I manage to run it, I could play against myself (Mac vs. PSP basically) and check out those multiplayer levels. There might be hidden stuff about DPL in there :)

Also it's a big shame it never had a normal online mode, I would have loved to play it and I would still do!
let me know if that emulator works. if so i may run out and buy driver 76 then copy it to my pc. i never had a psp but i'd like to experience driver 76
By Coyote
I haven't tried it out yet, I downloaded it but didn't understand how it works :P No wait actually I didn't know how to copy a UMD, I found some methods but they didn't work for me if I recall correctly.
By Fireboyd78
Great, now you can get all of the statistics for each vehicle for Driver Wiki! We need pictures and info! :D
By Coyote
RacingFreak wrote:I have got Driver '76 running flawless in JPCSP. Look up in google at how to make UMD images
Yeah I did, and the technique I found was to connect the PSP via the computer with USB and find the UMD file / disc in there somewhere, but it doesn't appear for me.

Maybe we could mod the game in a way so that we can play online, not just with ad-hoc mode :D
By cleone
RacingFreak wrote:I have got Driver '76 running flawless in JPCSP. Look up in google at how to make UMD images
howd you get it running? borrowing a friends umd and got it all set up. however when i play its slow and all the models are garbled up. which version you using and what video preferences do you have set?
By cleone
RacingFreak wrote:I always use the latest SVN. http://buildbot.orphis.net/jpcsp/
still having 3fps and awful glitched rendering. what is your configuration? what did you enable/disable?
By cleone
RacingFreak wrote:Hmm I dont remember what I used but surely mess around video settings, when I get chance I will post them up.

EDIT: Try enabling/disabling Vertex Cache setting
didnt work -_-
By Olanov
Why do people use emulators in general? Either they don't have the original system to run it on or want a better experience on PC. I for sure would like to try it for I don't own a PSP.
By Coyote
To try to use the online mode :)

Perhaps it could be possible to play then, because in order to play it online on the PSP you have to use infrared (Ad-hoc mode). Since I don't even know people who play games at all it's going to be pretty hard for me :D
By Coyote
Oops, what I wanted to say was that (since you have to use infrared), you basically have to sit next to the person in order to play. Too bad else we could play like this, with anyone… :?
By cleone
Olanov wrote:Why do people use emulators in general? Either they don't have the original system to run it on or want a better experience on PC. I for sure would like to try it for I don't own a PSP.
I emulate things cause I like a better experience on PC. PCSX2 + Widescreen Hacks + 3X Screen Resolution = True HD Quality compared to PS2.

Driver 76 I'm dying to emulate but no PSP emulators support it yet. :/
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]