Post your wishes and/or speculations for any future/upcoming DRIVER games.
Forum rules: This forum is for posting fan-created wishes and rumors/speculation for a possible next-gen DRIVER game. All information is to be considered speculation and should not be taken as fact.
By madness
As I began to say in the Gran Turismo 4. About possibly being an idea for a future driver release. If the driver series gets as hyped up as it did when driv3r was coming on the market.
madness wrote:I have noticed Gran Turismo has a great marketing method.
and a great method which will help continue development of the game by earning a few extra bucks.

I remember back in the days when they released Gran Turismo 4 Prologue.
They sold them for about $30 each and they would contain a portion of the entire game.

I think they should do something similar with the driver series, starting you off in the story and allowing you to play small parts of the city!

Maybe that's too much like the dpl ps2 demo but maybe something with more content!

The Prologue titles haven't been all that great to the critics as the handling has usually turned out dodge and the game feels a little incomplete but still it's great for the fans!

and great for me if they release a pc prologue as well!
proably something for the wishlist thread!
I guess we also run into the issue on saying the game really isn't all that large where as Gran Turismo 4 was huge. With 90+ Tracks and 900 different drivable vehicles.

It kind of also makes me wish of more cars, in the game but that's a different wish!
Moonchild wrote:I agree, but in order to charge people for demos/preview builds your going to need a strong brand name.
driv3r was very strong at the time and during the first few weeks of release. Until many reviews started going around explaining the games condition, however if a Prologue version was released maybe, Atari could have funded the game a little better. But then I guess people would learn it's faults early and find the Prologue Release to be a waste of money and that could reflect on the final game. Unless they state that the games Prologue was a quick way to competently remove all the glitches and inprove the game.

It's really hard to say what would happen if they had done this, but could have been worth a shot.

What do you think?
By Coyote
I think Driver has to come on the same level before Driv3r came out. And then it would probably work.
But I think we don't need a prologue, the Demos are excellent, thy are like prologues, just smaller and there's a limit of time you can play.
They should make the demos better, and then everything is okay :P
By Moonchild
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
madness wrote:driv3r was very strong at the time and during the first few weeks of release. Until many reviews started going around explaining the games condition, however if a Prologue version was released maybe, Atari could have funded the game a little better. But then I guess people would learn it's faults early and find the Prologue Release to be a waste of money and that could reflect on the final game. Unless they state that the games Prologue was a quick way to competently remove all the glitches and inprove the game.
Well, had there been a Driv3r prologue the fate of the game would have probably been different. A Prologue edition would have for sure brought some improvements but also some drawbacks to the game....so let's try and analyze this.

Driv3r came out in June 2004, had there been a prologue edition it would have probably been released several months earlier. The early build for sure would have been smashed by the media and other outlets for all its problems so Atari would have to make choices. Most likely, the development time and therefore the budget would have lengthened/increased. On first look this would be a good thing since the final product would be improved but a whole new problem would have arisen. And that problem is Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

Right after D3 was released screens and bits of info were being released about GTA SA. Driv3r, being the only new free-roam game on the market was able to so to speak get its sales despite poor reception. Had the game been delayed because of the Prologue release; Driv3r would have gone toe-to-toe with San Andreas. No matter how improved D3 would have been it still would have lost the battle in terms of sales and reception. So Driv3r's sales would have been lower and Atari would have taken a bigger financial hit.

Now, even though San Andreas would have won the holidays the Driver name would still have been respectable if the game had been improved of course. This could have affected Martin Edmondson’s future with Reflections and really, the whole concept of Driver Parallel Lines altogether. Hell, depending on D3's sales, the whole franchise could have been sold earlier to a different company than Ubisoft. These are all theories but one can always wonder what could have been...

In connection to the next Driver, I think its safe to say that there won't be a prologue edition for Driver (working title) since the series name is a question mark right now. A simple demo like the DPL one on the other hand is probably a logical assumption. If the next game sold exceptionally and was well recieved by the media than well I guess in 2010 or 2011 you could see a prologue for Driver 5/6.

If there were be a prologue version than it should include a few missions from the game, a free ride mode with boundaries and a few of the modes from the online section of the game. The sticker price should be around $20-25.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]