General discussion for the DRIVER series.

On Which Platform did you prefer(ed) playing Driver?

PC
35%
Playstation (1,2,3)
65%
XBOX(360)
No votes
0%
By Moonchild
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
I own Driver on Playstation and PC same thing with Driv3r. I have DPL on PS2 and I'll buy the PC version soon. My favorite is Playstation, simply put: the controller is perfect and I like my tv.

The PC games are fine (and better in some respects) but the Sony Playstation was the first console that I ever got so that's where my loyalty is.
By madness
This is pretty much a hard one.
I voted for PC mainly because it is so much easier personally for me to make videos and things like that and it is always possible to try and mod the game which is almost impossible for the console versions. As well as the improvements we usually find in the console releases. Especially the graphical improvements.

Driver 1 looked a lot better on the pc version as well as Driver: Parallel Lines, driv3r looked a lot more clearer but carried a few graphical bugs which didn't make it as good as the xbox version.

Just having a pc versions also makes it easy to take screenshots and make walkthroughs and we have a chance at memory hacking it and a good memory hacker demonstrated that it is possible to port almost anywhere in the game "Driver: Parallel Lines".

Other than that the xbox versions were really good because of the improved quality over the ps2 versions.

and remember xbox didn't exist back in 1994 when the ps1 existed. So then the ps1 was great when driver 2 was around mainly because they ever released it on pc as they should have.
By Miller
This is an easy one for me. Personally, I think the PC is generally just a better gaming environment all the way around, especially with laptops eliminating any advantage consoles might be presumed to have of being portable, and especially now that those cost a lot of money, too.

There have been a few posts recently to an old topic in which Madness posted a chat with the Reflections developers. I think Moonchild quoted one of those guys, saying something about Driver being a console game, rather than for PC. I can see how some games would be for PC and not for gaming consoles, but I really don't see how any game could be for a console, while not suited for PC. Someone would have to explain that to me, not meaning to sound sarcastic or antagonistic.

Of course Madness gave a concrete performance related example of why one Driver game was better on a console than it was on PC. I guess that's something I can understand quite easily.
By Coyote
I voted for PlayStation®, PlayStation®2 and PlayStation®3.
By TA-KO
Registration Days Posts
I voted for PC, because i don't own any console as i said other times and i think that, despite the bug things, the PC version is better because you can always add something (mod it) or change graphics... or almost anything

BTW, i own Driver 1, Driv3r and DPL for PC and Driver 2 for PS1 despite of no having the PS1, i played in the computer with a PS1 emulator
By Coyote
If you don't own a console you should own one :P Consoles are made to play :P
By Moonchild
Miller wrote:This is an easy one for me. Personally, I think the PC is generally just a better gaming environment all the way around,
That has to be one of the most flawed statements that I have ever seen. PC gaming is that great hey, tell me, where are the single player RPG's? Where are the platformers? Where are the fighting games? Where are the action adventure games? All I see are First-person shooters, strategy games, and MMO's.

So sitting a few feet away from you 19-21 inch LCD monitor while hitting a bunch of keys is better than sitting comfortably in your favorite chair while having a good 8-10 foot gap between you and your HDTV? So you say, get a controller instead of using the keyboard, I say, buy a PS3!
Miller wrote:but I really don't see how any game could be for a console, while not suited for PC. Someone would have to explain that to me, not meaning to sound sarcastic or antagonistic.
This has nothing to do mith performance, it has everything to do with economics. I would say 80% of all Driver game sales are from the console versions. Why even waste development time on a PC version.

And really this statistic explains it all:
New York Times[b] wrote:"Over all, retail sales of PC-based games in the United States exceeded $970 million in 2006, an increase of about 1 percent of sales the previous year of $953 million, which represented about a 14 percent drop from $1.1 billion in 2004.

By contrast, according to the NPD Group, retail sales for console games in 2006 were $4.8 billion; another $1.7 billion was spent on games for hand-held devices like Sony’s PlayStation Portable."[/b]
Now, I don't want it look like I hate PC gaming, I don't. It's just I had to make a choice, but now that'll have my own money, I'll definetely get into PC gaming but when it comes down to it, the accessibility, the wide diversity, and the mass popularity make console gaming better than PC gaming. That is all.
By Coyote
Moonchild wrote:So sitting a few feet away from you 19-21 inch LCD monitor while hitting a bunch of keys is better than sitting comfortably in your favorite chair while having a good 8-10 foot gap between you and your HDTV? So you say, get a controller instead of using the keyboard, I say, buy a PS3!
This is what I hate at computer games. This is one thing. The second is, that it's like "wrong" for me to play video games on a PC. It's like if I would wear a T-shirt in the wrong direction !
Video games have to be played on CONSOLES !
By TA-KO
Registration Days Posts
Coyote wrote:If you don't own a console you should own one Consoles are made to play
Yeah a computer too, and it has more uses, and it's more profitable.
Coyote wrote:This is one thing. The second is, that it's like "wrong" for me to play video games on a PC. It's like if I would wear a T-shirt in the wrong direction !
Video games have to be played on CONSOLES !
Do you know that every videogame is designed in a computer??? then why the PCs are not for games?? in fact there are games that are infinitely better played in a PC (any simulator, any strategic game, any 3D shooter, any RPG (for example the all mighty Fallout Games would never could be console games....)).

And if we talk about the possibilities, look for example at Oblivion, in PC you have thousand of mods, and you can create your own mod.

The videoconsoles have turned into a fast and easy money maker, because and that's another subject, they're harder to pirate and with the contracts of exclusivity they asure a lot of sales.
moonchild wrote:I'll definetely get into PC gaming but when it comes down to it, the accessibility, the wide diversity, and the mass popularity make console gaming better than PC gaming. That is all.
Don't agree, the PCs have the widest diversity of all, just because the majority of periferics in the PC are universal and they are totally comatible (IE, you can buy a Pad of any company and it will work you, unless of course it is faulty)

And they have more mass media simply because they move a bigger amount of money, only for that.

Oh and the games for PC are cheaper than the videoconsole ones.
By Moonchild
TA-KO wrote:in fact there are games that are infinitely better played in a PC (any simulator, any strategic game, any 3D shooter, any RPG (for example the all mighty Fallout Games would never could be console games....)).
Simulators-fine, consoles don't need that stuff anyways, Strategy-fine, 3D shooter-not so much, UT 3, Killzone 2, Haze are all looking good for PS3, I guess you can add Halo 3 in there too, RPG-HAHAHAHAHAHA, are you joking?

Fallout, it's good but not that good and it seems your not keepeing up with the news, Fallout 3 is scheduled to release for PC, PS3, and XBOX 360. The developers have said that the console versions have been coming along nicely. But seriously, Final Fantasy 13, next-gen Shin Megami Tensei, and White Knight Story will be better.
TA-KO wrote:Don't agree, the PCs have the widest diversity of all, just because the majority of periferics in the PC are universal and they are totally comatible (IE, you can buy a Pad of any company and it will work you, unless of course it is faulty)

And they have more mass media simply because they move a bigger amount of money, only for that.

PC's may have good hardware compatibility but the games are limited. As I said before where are the JRPG's, platformers, fighting, and action/adventure games. Online play is starting to go in the favor of console too, look at XBOX Live and Sony's upcoming Home.

Another thing, PC game sales are falling and their way lower than console game sales. Most likely, PS4 or PS5 will have full internet capability and other features that will make it a full fledged computer, it's only a mattter of time before console games have the oppurtunity to be modded. PC gaming will continue to fall with every passing year. And when Warcraft and other MMO's hit consoles, it's over.

Yeah, PC games are cheaper, what can you do.
By Coyote
And don't forgett that PC games are burnt on CD's, so they have a lower quality and they is less space on the CD. whereas PlaySation games are burnt on high-quality SONY DVD's.
By Moonchild
Coyote wrote:And don't forgett that PC games are burnt on CD's, so they have a lower quality and they is less space on the CD. whereas PlaySation games are burnt on high-quality SONY DVD's.
Let me fix that for you:

Don't forget that PC games are burn't on DVD's, so they have lower quality and there is less space on the DVD. Where as, Playstation 3 games are burn't on high-quality SONY Blu-Ray discs. With 50 GB of storage (more if multi-layer) you can have uncompressed 7.1 audio, more HD FMV's and other things that fit in the production value section.
By Coyote
lol Moony :D

you forgott to say something about the SONY Bravia Plasma TV :D
By madness
Moonchild wrote:With 50 GB of storage (more if multi-layer) you can have uncompressed 7.1 audio, more HD FMV's and other things that fit in the production value section.
I think that is 25gig and 50gig if your using dual layer technology.
Yeah! one thing I like about pc games I can find them in the budget range.
Soon we will see Driver: Parallel Lines on PC under the hot series and it will reach $20 a copy and when it's time to get rid of them they can even go down to $10.
moonchild wrote:
Miller wrote: This is an easy one for me. Personally, I think the PC is generally just a better gaming environment all the way around,

That has to be one of the most flawed statements that I have ever seen. PC gaming is that great hey, tell me, where are the single player RPG's? Where are the platformers? Where are the fighting games? Where are the action adventure games? All I see are First-person shooters, strategy games, and MMO's.

So sitting a few feet away from you 19-21 inch LCD monitor while hitting a bunch of keys is better than sitting comfortably in your favorite chair while having a good 8-10 foot gap between you and your HDTV? So you say, get a controller instead of using the keyboard, I say, buy a PS3!
PC games are way better if you have the extra cash for steering wheels, gamepads, joysticks anything you could usually buy for the ps3 but you'll find a lot more of it to help you play your games.

I know ababbs uses a gamepad on driv3r and I guess that's why he drives better than users with the old stock keyboard.

Me I got myself a popular logitec steering wheel only to find it was incompatible with Driver: Parallel Lines and DRIV3R. Works perfectly with Driver and if I want one that works I have to get one of the ones in the games readme which I found quite annoying.

But year my main argument against it still remains as PC games aren't always compatible and it's annoying with those expensive upgrades.

But if your like me and use your pc for you education and your future job I always need to latest stuff anyrate and there is really no point me wasting loads of money on a new console!
By Moonchild
Coyote wrote:you forgott to say something about the SONY Bravia Plasma TV :D
Yeah, it's a good HDTV but remember, the Bravia is LCD not Plasma, Plasma's are great for movies but a little risky for games.
madness wrote:I think that is 25gig and 50gig if your using dual layer technology.
Your right. I was thining about how most PS3 games are using the dual layered 50gig and actually, I read that there working on 200gig multi-layered BD discs.
madness wrote:But if your like me and use your pc for you education and your future job I always need to latest stuff anyrate and there is really no point me wasting loads of money on a new console!
Good point, I have no real response for that but you may want to get a console for Driver 4 if the PC release doesn't happen or if it does and it comes a half year later.
By Coyote
Moonchild wrote:Yeah, it's a good HDTV but remember, the Bravia is LCD not Plasma, Plasma's are great for movies but a little risky for games.
Oh thanks I was about to buy a Plasma TV. What doesn't work with Plasma TV's ? Are they not compatible with VGA and S-Video ?
By Moonchild
There compatible, but with a PS3, your most likely going to use HDMI cables. The problem with Plasma's is this, they have burn in issues. If you keep playing a game that has a similar backround or if you constantly pause the game you run the (admitidly low) risk of having that image burned into the tv.

For gaming purposes, just buy a LCD, they last longer and their the best for games. Prices for both are very similar, so yeah. I'm buying a LCD, 100%
By Coyote
Yeah me too :P thanks :) I'll buy a Bravia for my PS3, cause Bravia is SONY and I think its better to play a SONY PS3 game on a SONY LCD TV :)
By Moonchild
Yeah, I'm probally going to buy a Bravia as well. Hopefully someone will post there preffered platform for Driver soon since this thread is getting a little off-topic.

Until then, remember, when you get your PS3, tell me your PSN ID so we can play Driver 4 and other games online.
By Coyote
Okay, that'll take a little while, maybe some months, I'm waiting on the home pack. PS: we can continu our conversation with pm's :P
By Nikusakken
Well... Nowadays PC gamming is a bit waste of money. Why ? Because of expensives upgrades (now, you buy a 8800 Ultra, two months latter, you have to buy a 9800 GS ???) I'm my opinion, PC gamming are only good for FPS. Modding doesn't count because I know a lot of mods for consoles.
By Miller
This topic began as a survey of which platform members preferred to play DRIVER games on, and why they felt that way. In very little time, the topic became a console vs. PC fanboy festival, quite a lot of which was somewhat dubious at best, or just plain ignorant at worst. There was a considerable amount of talk about games and gaming industry "facts" having little or nothing to do with personal preferences for playing DRIVER games.

With the upcoming release of new DRIVER games, this sort of discussion has already begun to reemerge on the DriverMadness.net forum. While taking part, please make a little effort to post your views and information in the topic to which your post will best apply.

Here are some related topics you may wish to consider participating in:

Which Platform Will You Be Getting DSF For?
That topic pertains only to DRIVER: SAN FRANCISCO. It is a survey topic, in which you may vote, discuss votes, and view poll results.

Console vs. PC
No explanation necessary, I suppose. Just go over there and start acting like you know everything, and hope no one notices if you prove the opposite is true.
Well, it all depends on which game we're talking about.

The first Driver is a slight toss-up for me. I mean, the PC version has better graphics, the same great gameplay & mod support, but the PSX version has a better soundtrack & police that actually lose you when you get out of range, rather than instantly respawning when they get out of range.In this case, I'm leaning towards PC

When it comes to Driver 2, there's no question that the PSX version wins. While the GBA version is pretty fun & has the advantage of portability, the game doesn't measure up when compared to the PSX version.

For Driv3r, I prefer the Xbox version for having a smoother frame rate & shorter load times than the PS2, plus you don't have to buy additional hardware for it to run at optimum performance. The only downsides are the custom soundtracks start at the same song ALL THE TIME, there's no mod support and it doesn't have "The Hit" mission. But really, I'm not gonna spend money upgrading my PC so I can get another mission & not much else.

To me, the Xbox is also a clear winner for playing Driver: Parallel Lines. Again, smoother running & loading without the need for more hardware, and this time, the custom soundtrack shuffles the song, too! The PC & Wii versions may have that precision aiming feature, but I don't see what else they can offer compared to the Xbox version.

So, in short, I prefer the PSX for up to Driver 2, and I prefer the Xbox & Xbox 360 for Driv3r on.
No, for some reason, the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility library has been limited (I think it's because they don't want to affect performance). Even then, some of the games have glitches.

Hi. I saw in Helegad's thread about beta stuff in […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg