General discussion for the DRIVER series.
By madness
You all remember the movie that was going to be released around when driv3r was released, the movie they were going to spend a $50million budget on. Well apparently it's been on hold for quite some time and we haven't herd much ever since.
Prior to January 2007, Driver was slated to shoot at Cinespace Studios' MT28 lot in Toronto, Canada. Due to a waterfront revitalization project, the studio has been forced to move and the film has been put on hold. As of May 2007 the project is on hold.
It looks like it's still happening, just that it has been put on hold and we are going to have to wait patiently.

Hopefully some more information will become available soon.
By Moonchild
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Let me guess, your quoted information came from Wikipedia. That's not always the best place to find information.

From what I heard, Roger Avery (director) walked off the project months ago and the film is kinda in development hell. The only way that I see it being made is if the next Driver game sells really well.
Prior to January 2007, Driver was slated to shoot at Cinespace Studios' MT28 lot in Toronto, Canada
Even if the Cinespace Studio hadn't closed, how could they shoot the movie if it still didn't/doesn't have a cast?

Also to add, some guy claims to have read the script (he says he's in the movie indusrty)
You can read his review here: http://www.switchblademaniac.com/driver_review.pdf

He also scanned in a page from the script http://www.switchblademaniac.com/driver_pg19.pdf

I don't know whether the review and script page are real so you'll have to decide for yourself....if it is real, this movie wil suck. Then again, Paul W.S. Anderson is involved so this movie pretty much automatically sucked from day one.
By madness
I find the script to be pretty fake, why would someone buy rights to the movie and make it totally unrelated to the driver series. Sure there is still tanner and his a DRIVER but according to that script the story seems totally different to the driver series and having a Timmy in the movie is just absolutely horrible.

I always thought the movie was going to be about driv3r, a real version of driv3r maybe just like a longer version of running the gauntlet. But no, they've made something which could possibly ruin the driver series name forever.

Taking a look at the review it gives me the view that his telling the truth but I don't think I'll take that for such a crappy storyline. I'm sure Martin Edmondson had some say on the movie and I'm sure he would never let such a piece of crap out on the screens.

and if this really is the script, I'd probably commit suicide.
well not really but you know what I mean
By Moonchild
Well ok, when I read the review i was pissed off as well but since Avery left the director's chair their could be a re-write (assuming the review is true)
madness wrote:why would someone buy rights to the movie and make it totally unrelated to the driver series
Pretty much all movies based on videogames are unreleated to the source material. Seriously, Super Mario Bros, Doom, Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, Resident Evil and many others. So it woudn't surprise if they went the same road with Driver.

We'll probally know if his script review is real because he also has an early review of the upcoming Hitman movie (comes out Oct. 17 2007) so if his review is true on Hitman, it may be true for Driver.....Timmy Vermicelli as the villian......who ever thought of that should be executed!
By madness
Now that I think about it I always used to think to myself wouldn't it be awesome if Reflections Interactive created a mode where you could completely replay all your driving in a wonderful movie once you've finished the game.

But then I thought why not render the entire city as the same quality as the FMV's and then they should make an entire movie that airs at cinemas as well as making it a game with all the textures toned down.

I think they'd be pretty awesome, sure it's animated but the animation is pretty groovy and realistic that it would problely do well and it should be possible to do on a smaller budget.

and then when we go into next generation after next generation in gaming technology they should re-release the same game with higher textures and bonus parts of the city to keep the game going. There could be big profit in that area.

I always liked that real life "run the gaunlet" movie made for driv3r it would be nice to see a movie like that, if not why not have reflections and that team that worked on dpl's fmv's working on the movie.
By Moonchild
That's definentely an idea for the future and it'll probally happen in another decade or something. I mean, the game industry is finally getting recognised as a respected entertainment medium so within time things like your idea may be a possibility. But not yet.

As for "Run the Gauntlet" I thought the action/car sequences were pretty cool but the woman who ordered the main character around was a seriously annoying b*t*h.

Reflections FMV team should work on the movie to give ideas and such but I don't think Rogue Pictures would let them.
By Lseven7
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I never watched "run the gauntlet". I almost did once ages ago, but for some reason didnt, then forgot about it. Does anyone have a link/file for it?
By madness
I have been meaning to upload it but at the moment I only have the full dvd quality 100MB version and I haven't gotten to uploading all the larger files.

However I'll look for the smaller version tonight which is around 10MB and I'll upload the 100MB version sometime in the near future.
Moonchild wrote:Reflections FMV team should work on the movie to give ideas and such but I don't think Rogue Pictures would let them.
This will seriously give the movie the driver feel. But as you said, Rogue Pictures want to do it completely do it on their own and screw everything up and I think they were the creators of that R18+ movie Pulp Fiction and just thinking what could be in their minds could give the views of the movie the wrong message of the game and the game would be giving us the wrong thoughts about the movie.

and if it's R18+ I won't be able to watch it.
:(
By Moonchild
I looked up some of these things so, Pulp Fiction had a colaboration of production companies: A Band Apart, Jersey Films, and Miramax Films. The film was distrubuted by various studios around the world.

As for Driver, it's being distributed in North America by Rogue Pictures and in Germany by Constantin Film. There doesn't seem to be any word of the moving being released theatrically in Australia or other parts of Europe, but with time that will probally change.

The actual production team behind the Driver movie is Constantin Film Produktion GmbH. Basically their a sub-division of Constantin Film, they mostly have done German movies but their American work includes the Resident Evil films, Fantastic 4 and it's sequel, and the DOA movie. Based on their track record and Rogue Pictures record, Driver the movie will for sure have an R18+ rating.

Even if that guys review is fake, I believe that the Driver film won't have much to do with the series, instead, it'll probally be similar to the Transporter movies or something. You know....stupid plot and a bunch of over the top stunts and action sequences.
By Jorge-Fonseca
Registration Days Posts Avatar
that gauntlet video was amazing lol definitely kicks ass any video game trailer can anyone map that into a PSP video i wana show it to friends
By T.K.
This movie is based on the first DRIVER game. That's what I read.
By madness
Jorge-Fonseca wrote:that gauntlet video was amazing lol definitely kicks ass any video game trailer can anyone map that into a PSP video i wana show it to friends
Try a program called PSPVideo9 it converts normal everyday videos into videos that run in the psp!
By Coyote
T.K. wrote:This movie is based on the first DRIVER game. That's what I read.
It was based on Driv3r's story and it was something like an advert for the game.
By cleone
Dude. :shock: I was just messing around on freecovers.net(to replace my used game cover for my Driv3r game) and I ran into this. http://www.freecovers.net/view/0/4b7914 ... front.html
Is it real or fake?
By Nikusakken
That's the cover of a film called Driver, released in 1978. One of the films who inspired the Driver series.
By cleone
Nick Brasil wrote:That's the cover of a film called Driver, released in 1978. One of the films who inspired the Driver series.
Oh. Well I've never heard of it until last night.
By emmetmcl
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
According to IMDB the movie is in development and is being written.

Here is an image of the page:

I sent Constantin Films an e-mail about what was happening but haven't heard back from them as of yet.
By max.thunder
Now it doesn't have a release date, 2 years ago it was written 2012.
Link

Maybe is fake. Don't know.
By Fireboyd78
The Driver film is never coming. It's been speculated to be released since 2003...I think that means it's dead.
By max.thunder
I remember reading that script a year ago, it seems that the writer didn't play the game and smoked weed instead :lol:

Hey, is that for really enabling Bodysnatchers che[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4