Discussion for the fan-made game The Driver Syndicate.

Moderator: SOAP

By SOAP
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar

THE DRIVER SYNDICATE

The Driver Syndicate is a driving action game and spiritual successor of classic Driver series

Review by The Well-Red Mage

Features presented in current state:
- Vehicle driving mechanics insipred by Driver 1 and Driver 2
- Free roam chases, minigames and famous Interview replica
- Replays and even Film Director
- Scripting (on Lua) for missions and gameplay/modes
- Open modding platform: Create your own missions, cities, vehicles and game modes

Features to be presented in future releases:
- Single player campaign
- Modern, custom and classic vehicles replicas from original Driver games
- Multiplayer games up to 4x4 players
- The game can be run on mobile devices (Android-based, iOS-based)

Stay tuned by joining Driver Madness Discord server! We have cookies :P

The faces of The Driver Syndicate:
SOAP- general idea, game design, coding,modelling, level design, sound design

MadRash- additional level design and testing, vehicle and city suggestions
Vortex, Olanov - media attention, testing, suggestions, feedback
Kaytomasu - testing, French translation
Andrii Svystun - Ukrainian translation
Xtreemo - additional UI design
Fireboy- improvements and ideas
Justin “RM76” ,WhiteSnoop, Cleone - testing, suggestions, feedback

---------------------------

DOWNLOADS:
Latest public alpha build ( Windows)

Before you can play, you'll need to update DirectX9
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... aspx?id=35

and install MSVC++ 2017 Redistributable:
https://support.microsoft.com/ru-ru/hel ... -downloads

SDK
SDK (includes Level Editor, example props, example vehicle)

ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
Last edited by SOAP on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:25 am, edited 48 times in total.
By VAIMAHDO
This is so awesome! I've dreamed of making D1 and 2 multiplayer, but I just can't make scripts or understand any scripting language. Recommended for this project: Ability to enter/exit vehicles or switch cars while playing, weapons, explosions, and please, try not to have invisible walls. :) Also, could I help with map making? I can make some fun and well optimized maps!
By SOAP
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:This is so awesome! I've dreamed of making D1 and 2 multiplayer, but I just can't make scripts or understand any scripting language. Recommended for this project: Ability to enter/exit vehicles or switch cars while playing, weapons, explosions, and please, try not to have invisible walls. :) Also, could I help with map making? I can make some fun and well optimized maps!
Don't be afraid about physics - it's geometry will correspond to visual (if level designer wants he will place wall, of course)

I can't promise that weapons will be available in game. (But again may be in some game modes)
Switching cars may be available in some missions

And yes, anyone could help with level/model creation. After the rest of level editor will be complete, i'll publish LDK with some examples

Also, Level Editor will be tile-based (original uses same technique) and will import models.
Last edited by SOAP on Fri May 30, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweet. I'll make start working on an awesome map. By the way, do you know how to program the effect when lets say when in driver 1 you hit a trash can and it will disable collisions, jump into the air, and tilt sideways a bit? because it would be cool to be able to smash through small stores and stuff! (Such as, apply the effect to a front glass pane at the front of a small store, and the player is able to blast through it) Also, each indoor area should not render until the wall is broken. :D
crashman2552 liked this

did you recognize this vehicle? =)))

About progress:

This week was on fixing some game engine modules
Also tested networking protocol, seems to be work fine
Working hard on level editor: wrote a massive technical feature list to be implemented in editor. For now little of them are implemented

About level editor plans:
It will have 5 modes: Heightfield editor, level models placement, level objects placement, AI and mission editor
I think I got easy for learn control scheme, IMHO

That's all

Stay tuned! More updates coming!
CarLuver69 wrote:This is quite interesting. Looking forward to this!

What language do you program in? Are you using a GUI library (like QT)?
I program mostly in C++
I use wxWidgets GUI library, previously used it in other Radiant-Hammer-like level editor too:

click to enlarge
Oh man. I've already been getting behind the wheel, having 2 cups of coffee, running sh*t over with my car, and driving as fast as I can from cops. This is incredible! I am stoked! Do you think you can add a graphics changer for the level editor? Scene makers for the LE? If possible, this would be awesome. I miss the old Havana cars. Did you add them? Oh, and how are you going to publish this? Tell me, pl0x.
Wheels wrote:I miss the old Havana cars. Did you add them?
I didn't added them for now, I'm focused on level editor
After some levels will be made, I'll make some of vehicles from all 8 cities (Driver 1 and Driver 2)
You can't exit your vehicle, can you?
You can't exit vehicle. But this feature may be added (little probability)
Some project news, what I doing at the moment:

Due to some level research of Driver 2 I slowed down a little bit, and after serious thinking and making some decisions I heading to write a custom (and simpler) physics engine, using fixed point math. The reason for doing it explained by floating point precision issues on far distances (or impossibility to handle bigger cities without physics errors), little replay issues and my desire to achieve physics model like from a inspirer :)
If it does not meet my expectations, I'll return to the available one. If it does, wait for surprise.So it's just an experiment and a way to learn something cool for themselves.
Vehicles will have better handling (already improved that), Mobile port is nearly possible.
I don't want to keep in unfinished for a long time, so everything will be)
Wow! This is so amazing man, good job.. my dream game ever ! :D

is it possible you could have Driver 2 cars in more colors or possibly beta colors? :D it would be awesome!

good luck with this

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]

https://youtu.be/j10ltSvvSFU

Supercharged V8 (Driv3r)

https://youtu.be/PNpHXUwiFKs

A tutorial video on how to make custom missions fo[…]