Discussion for the fan-made game The Driver Syndicate.

Moderator: SOAP

By SOAP
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Some progress report.

- Lua scripting system has been implemented at basic level, simple missions can be possible now.
- Level editor preparations to make city - generation of tilefield from bitmap
- Traffic cars nearly done
- Replays seems quite difficult, but deterministic at most.

Here is not-so-new demo from 27th February, and doesn't have some features listed from above.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5l31a ... 5feb27.rar
Sedans wrote:This looks awesome. Should definitely have more attention.

can i put a few requests for vehicles to make? they fit the generation you're doing.
Thanks! Sure!

Also I want to create community competition on vehicle models and missions when SDK will come out.
CORONET wrote:Just amazing, one question. From where you get the skyboxes? HD versions of the original ones would be EPIC, specially the D1 Miami night sky
I got some from internet and combined with photos I've made while I was in Burabay national park.
By SOAP
PostalDude wrote:The amount of progress is amazing. The traffic, veh models, dynamic props, everything. What are the two untextured WIP cars based on? One looks like a late 70's GM G-body (a Regal) and the other looks like a Continental Mark IV.
First is reference on Ford Mustang 1979 and second is Chevrolet Monte Carlo.
By Fireboyd78
As Justin pointed out, MP was very fun! I also got bored and slapped together this abomination in about 20 minutes:

Is that the kind of car you were going for? It's EXTREMELY rough, lol.
By WhiteSnoop
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
Just came here to comment that you've booked some amazing progress SOAP :D
Pretty cool that you made it somewhat more "HD" but still gives you the same driver feel.
The night scenario's are also cool and slippery.

Keep up the great progress
By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Nice. If only my PC were big enough...

BTW, I know this is a beta, but do you modfiy sounds and stuff? Because when I was watching the video it seemed like the side of the vehicle bumped into the trash bins and it made a loud noise.

But before final release, like how every game maker does it, look for flaws. Just giving ideas.

I also think there should be a car maker in your game (optional)

So the player can build a new slot, model the car how it looks, speed, color, is it a authority vehicle (police, if there's felony ratings depending how high it is, the government, etc..), car features, and what your choosing is.

This is all optional, not required.
By SOAP
Wheels wrote:Nice. If only my PC were big enough...

BTW, I know this is a beta, but do you modfiy sounds and stuff? Because when I was watching the video it seemed like the side of the vehicle bumped into the trash bins and it made a loud noise.

But before final release, like how every game maker does it, look for flaws. Just giving ideas.

So the player can build a new slot, model the car how it looks, speed, color, is it a authority vehicle (police, if there's felony ratings depending how high it is, the government, etc..), car features, and what your choosing is.

Some of sounds are just placeholders from Driver, and even not fine tuned.

For now it's pretty far from the beta. Cop and getaway AI's aren't implemented, but there is only a step left from it.
By Clutch
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Barriers noise in 1:25 looks to be duplicated due to collision with two objects. It made a flanger effect. I think that you can make some code, which blocks playing a sound if it would be played in predefined, short time after playing the same sound moment before. It should help in this case. Or just forces to play other soundclip (it would demand making new variants of sounds).

Overall very nice! The only thing that has taken my attention is that collisions with still objects like walls or trees are kinda "blocky". The car acts rather like a wooden block instead of a real car.

I hope your scriptcore will have some tutorial? :) Looks kinda complicated (a little bit like pascal crossed with c++) and simple in the same time.
And second thing - I think that you should implement chases not the same way like they were implemented in Driver series. Rather more like forcing AI to drive a checkpoint race using its intelligence.

Keep going! Looks awesome!
By Fireboyd78
Clutch wrote:I hope your scriptcore will have some tutorial? :) Looks kinda complicated (a little bit like pascal crossed with c++) and simple in the same time.
It's Lua, one of the best scripting languages ever made if you ask me!
By SOAP
Clutch wrote:Barriers noise in 1:25 looks to be duplicated due to collision with two objects. It made a flanger effect. I think that you can make some code, which blocks playing a sound if it would be played in predefined, short time after playing the same sound moment before. It should help in this case. Or just forces to play other soundclip (it would demand making new variants of sounds).

Overall very nice! The only thing that has taken my attention is that collisions with still objects like walls or trees are kinda "blocky". The car acts rather like a wooden block instead of a real car.

I hope your scriptcore will have some tutorial? :) Looks kinda complicated (a little bit like pascal crossed with c++) and simple in the same time.
And second thing - I think that you should implement chases not the same way like they were implemented in Driver series. Rather more like forcing AI to drive a checkpoint race using its intelligence.

Keep going! Looks awesome!
Thanks!

Of course, script API will have tutorials. For now it looks some complicated, but it can be simplified with templates and helpers.

Is "blocky" means big friction or restitution?
By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
SOAP wrote:
Wheels wrote:Nice. If only my PC were big enough...

Some of sounds are just placeholders from Driver, and even not fine tuned.

For now it's pretty far from the beta. Cop and getaway AI's aren't implemented, but there is only a step left from it.
Sort of what I was explaining, but I was just handing out ideas.
By Clutch
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I came across new idea, for upcoming cop AI.
It was annoying in D2 that you were chased only by up to 2 copcars. I don't remember maximum number of cops in D1. However, most logical procedure would be like that:
- you are chased by up to 6 cop cars + static cars in roadblocks ("as too much of a good thing")
- if some cop goes out of chase area range, it "falls of", but tries to get on a track of the chase by average-fast roaming nearest streets seeking the action
- after predefined time (for example 30s) it is eliminated from the chase and the object of the copcar is destroyed (disappears)
- if felony is high enough and the number of copcars in chase isn't maximum, there is possibility, that a new cop will spawn in random place nearby your driving direction and join the chase. However, it is very random (as Blizzard says "random numbers are random")
- if felony is high enough and the number of copcars in chase isn't maximum, some number of cops standing in avoided roadblock can join the chase.

It would be my suggestion about basic AI for cops.
The additional things would be fine:
- PIT manoeuvre
- you can hate Need For Speed series, but cooldown in post-most-wanted games was rad. It could be modified for Driver-like mechanics.

By DatDirtyBananas
Clutch wrote:I came across new idea, for upcoming cop AI.
It was annoying in D2 that you were chased only by up to 2 copcars. I don't remember maximum number of cops in D1. However, most logical procedure would be like that:
- you are chased by up to 6 cop cars + static cars in roadblocks ("as too much of a good thing")
- if some cop goes out of chase area range, it "falls of", but tries to get on a track of the chase by average-fast roaming nearest streets seeking the action
- after predefined time (for example 30s) it is eliminated from the chase and the object of the copcar is destroyed (disappears)
- if felony is high enough and the number of copcars in chase isn't maximum, there is possibility, that a new cop will spawn in random place nearby your driving direction and join the chase. However, it is very random (as Blizzard says "random numbers are random")
- if felony is high enough and the number of copcars in chase isn't maximum, some number of cops standing in avoided roadblock can join the chase.

- PIT manoeuvre
- you can hate Need For Speed series, but cooldown in post-most-wanted games was rad. It could be modified for Driver-like mechanics.

Need For Speed FTW! Also this sounds good
By Ss4gogeta0
Registration Days Posts Posts
DatDirtyBananas wrote:

- PIT manoeuvre

needs more aggressive AI... hopefully on par with GTA V police...

By DatDirtyBananas
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
DatDirtyBananas wrote:

- PIT manoeuvre

needs more aggressive AI... hopefully on par with GTA V police...

GTA V Police are OP. It'd be nice if it was NFS police because that's more like what driving wanted systems would have.
By JackRourke343
There should be an option to choose city. Like, playing with friends in Rio, or Las Vegas. Something like that :D

Oh, well. One of my crazy ideas. Looks amazing!!! :mrgreen:
By SOAP
I apologize for delays, guys.

Project moves slow for now because of my laziness (I guess this is a main fault of all projects here, not saying about too big ambitions) and many little breaks.

I was working on a better, modern "flat" design for UIs and experimented with content creation.

Few nearly done cars:

And making cop intellect:

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

Hi. I saw in Helegad's thread about beta stuff in […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4