General discussion for the DRIVER series.

Can you live without the replay feature?

Yes
44%
No
56%
Many car games nowadays don't consider this feature to be so important. The main Need for Speed titles don't have it since 10 years ago. Driver Parallel Lines removed the feature and later Driver: SF included it again. Do you consider it an important feature for Driver games and other games in general? Or is it okay not to have it? I personally can't think of playing Driver 1 without the replay mode.
No, Director's Mode is part of Driver ever since the first game, although buggy in 2 and 3 it is an amazing feat. It's also the ONLY bad thing about DPL since it doesn't have one for some reason.
Olanov wrote:If it's as bad as it was in DSF, yeah, I can live without it.
Pretty ironic since there was a limit of 30 seconds or so while D1 could make a replay up to roughly 15 minutes and longer.
How did it have a limit of 30 seconds? :lol: It didn’t have a limit at all, at least not on Mac. I don’t see how it’s worse also, it has only 2 features less than the one in Driver 3, one of which is annoying in fact (placing the camera on another car/on a cop car) and the wheel camera (less important to me). But what I’m missing MOST is a camera that follows a car, or that actually moves. Did you see a camera that moves somewhere? Not as in being pointed on a car, I mean moving as in following the car while it’s driving. And that’s something I haven’t seen in any Driver game ;) You see it all the time in cutscenes, however.

The 30 seconds you’re talking about is when you upload your video to the Driver club. Nobody… does… that… :lol:

But yes, I can live without the replay mode. It’s a cool feature, no doubt, but I rarely use it. Obviously if it would be available in online, I’d use it all the time. Oh those crazy matches I’ve all played, I’d love to watch lots of them again. Especially because of epic moments that happened, I could watch them a zillion times. I did record plenty of matches, but it’s different when you have a film director. You can watch the same scene again from 1000 different angles.

And yes, I did miss it for a while in online. But obviously it’s present in solo mode, where I never am.
The feature keeps constantly creating these "ghost frames" where it will zoom out and in really fast when cutting from camera to another. During transitions. That's really, really annoying. Not to mention, the camera angles are nothing like it was lead to believe in the film director trailer for DSF (except for some). Truly a disappointment. It also lacks accurate timeline editing (which previous other replay editors didn't have either) like in IV, where you can easily and accurately jump from one point to another in the timeline.

And even though placing cameras on cop/chase cars might have been less important for you, they could have been a lot more important for others (like me for an example). That's not a valid reason to simply exclude it. And yes, moving cameras are needed. Basically what IV's video editor does, making movement between cameras.

At least it's better than Team Fortress 2's replay editor. That's just pure unadulterated bullsh**.
I hate in any driver game where you do an awesome stunt and the replay cuts out RIGHT BEFORE IT. No i couldn't live without the replay feature its one of the best things to do in a driver game, make your own movies :)
Olanov wrote:The feature keeps constantly creating these "ghost frames" where it will zoom out and in really fast when cutting from camera to another. During transitions. That's really, really annoying. Not to mention, the camera angles are nothing like it was lead to believe in the film director trailer for DSF (except for some). Truly a disappointment. It also lacks accurate timeline editing (which previous other replay editors didn't have either) like in IV, where you can easily and accurately jump from one point to another in the timeline.

And even though placing cameras on cop/chase cars might have been less important for you, they could have been a lot more important for others (like me for an example). That's not a valid reason to simply exclude it. And yes, moving cameras are needed. Basically what IV's video editor does, making movement between cameras.

At least it's better than Team Fortress 2's replay editor. That's just pure unadulterated bullsh**.
I’m not sure what you mean with ghost frames and such. Perhaps you didn’t cut properly? I know that when I started using it I was confused how to use it and there were “ghost frames” left in-between two cameras like you say (in case that’s what you mean). If you use the cut button it doesn’t happen, however. The timeline is there, what do you mean? If you’re on PC use the keys to jump to every next camera. I did say that placing the camera on a cop car was important for me, what wasn’t was placing it on a wheel. The only features the film director trailer had shown that weren’t in the game is the camera following the car :P And it also showed a jump at the end that wasn’t there in the game, the car just flipped for no reason haha!
Aha! Cars be flipping mad!

Anyway, that does sound like what I mean but even though I do use cut, these ghost frames still do sadly exist, they're just not always as noticeable. I'd try to get you an example from my videos if I hadn't cut them off with Sony Vegas to avoid that. That's also why it really isn't as much of a big deal to me since I can just cut them afterwards. Just during in-game film editing it gets annoying.

And I wasn't saying the timeline is missing (sorry if I gave the impression). Just cycling through it is a b*t*h at times. You can't go backwards without skipping over bunch of seconds. That's forward only. And yeah, all those moving cameras is my main problem. I'd need a lot of those angles most of the time but they're not avalible. At all. So I have to come up with something else, less appealing to me.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention earlier. I really hate how the game spawns those civilians differently each time you run a clip. Sometimes when it cuts to a new angle, you can see the sidewalks being empty of civilians for a second. Then the next second they just suddenly pop in. Breaks the immersion for me.

You can see that at 0:28.

Not related to the film director, but I wish the cops were smarter. Hope The Crew is going to have some sort of video editor for the online games so it would be possible to record good police chases.
Yeah I know what you mean with the ghost frames, I’ve uploaded this short video a while ago and you can see it happening as well.
You can see it at 0:16, but it’s really just because I didn’t do it properly. Probably because I “shifted” the camera time, that will result in automatically creating ghost frames because both cameras do not stick together anymore. I’ve also noticed it a few other times now while watching the video. Weirdly enough the cop cars don’t have sounds at 1:33, sucks as well… and of course the whole “old movie”-style — just annoying and doesn’t fit with a non-70s mode.

On Mac at least you can definitely browse through the timeline with the keys, probably on PC as well. (you have it on PC I think?) Just go in the “extras” menu I think, where you’ll find another menu for Film Director mode where all keys are explained. Perhaps you have to set them first, not sure…

But let’s be honest… if you want to make a *real* Driver movie, none of the Driver games’ film director is good enough. In all cases there’s plenty of cameras just missing. In the video above I’ve tried to demonstrate something a bit more fast-paced, I guess that’s the most you can do with the film director. Camera-wise of course, it doesn’t really feature any crashes actually or other action. But I hate when people stay on one camera for a long time, I like it when it’s all very quick, a bit like Run The Gauntlet was. And yeah the first time I’ve noticed the pedestrians thing was when I actually did this video! Very weird…
You could be right. Perhaps I haven't looked into the controls enough. I use a controller so it's glitchy as hell with the Film Director on PC. I also agree with the "old movie" style. It doesn't fit at all on modern times films. Should've been kept either optional or exclusive to those old movie challenges.

Overall though, the film directors, like you said, are not good enough.

This is sort of what I would want with it. You know, moving cameras, fast paced action. Hate the siren issue in the video though. Always happens when a new clip begins so the siren starts over. Should've gotten a mod to quiet it down and added a siren afterwards on the background. Also the damned lag that happens when a player is driving a car.

Can you spot the DSF siren? :lol:
It would disappoint me if they didn't include it in the next Driver, it's all about the car chases and that was one of the main features for the first Driver. I hope they focus on it more next time round, I'm sure there are reasons why they didn't include 'car chasing you view' or vice versa (lazy?). I don't know anything about making a game, but I think shift messed up that feature somehow All the cars (apart from the one you're in) don't seem to act/ be the same as the one you're driving. For example it's easy to understand why they wouldn't be able to put cockpit view from another car in, so maybe it's a similar reason for the other views.

About the pedestrians changing every time you move back in the timeline, same goes for the sounds of the cop cars sirens, which can be annoying. I also hate the fact it lets the tripod camera not go that far away from the car or that high. But I'm assuming it's to do with the further away you get the textures won't be as good. So happy that I managed to glitch to a high view it's not ground breaking, but gives an extra boost to the film you're making.
Nice video Olanov, was that a crash effect from SF at the 00:35 seconds mark?
Olanov wrote:You could be right. Perhaps I haven't looked into the controls enough. I use a controller so it's glitchy as hell with the Film Director on PC. I also agree with the "old movie" style. It doesn't fit at all on modern times films. Should've been kept either optional or exclusive to those old movie challenges.

Overall though, the film directors, like you said, are not good enough.

This is sort of what I would want with it. You know, moving cameras, fast paced action. Hate the siren issue in the video though. Always happens when a new clip begins so the siren starts over. Should've gotten a mod to quiet it down and added a siren afterwards on the background. Also the damned lag that happens when a player is driving a car.

Can you spot the DSF siren? :lol:
Yeah, well done on the video! :) It’s exactly those cameras that are missing. But there’s lots of good GTA ones, this one too for example:
Driver is meant to be the “movie-style game” with film director, but it’s just not made for it, and the film director is so dated :lol:
Steerclear wrote:All the cars (apart from the one you're in) don't seem to act/ be the same as the one you're driving.
And they are not as shiny! :P Place twice the same car next to each other, you’ll notice the chrome on yours shines much more. So take a car with lots of chrome, the Dodge RAM 3500 has plenty of it. I guess the game just wouldn’t be able to handle it if every car looked that good! I do think it’s a shame, however, even if barely noticeable… now that I know it I’ll never look at them the same :lol:
Coyote wrote: But I hate when people stay on one camera for a long time, I like it when it’s all very quick, a bit like Run The Gauntlet was.
Same here! I remember when I was younger and made some stop motion videos with my Hot Wheels, I kept watching the audition race scene from 2 Fast 2 Furious over and over again to analize it and noticed the constant, quick changes in the cameras. I also think it's important that you can tell where the cars are driving, unlike the horrible mess that was Fast and Furious 4, for example. That video you posted is amazing! I'm gonna show it to my dad later since he really loved the replay videos of Driver 1 back when it came out.
Yeah I too liked to analyse each shots/scenes :) And yeah I do notice in a lot of movies the cars are completely in a complete different place :lol:
Do you mean the GTA video? It's great in fact. But if you want something even more epic, watch Run the Gauntlet (search it on Youtube). It was an ad for Driver 3, I think any new movie with chase scenes should be like this. They can learn something from it :D
I've never used it, mainly because I couldn't either haha.

But obviously, given the choice I'd prefer it as obviously a lot of people like it, and you never know when you'll do something amazing and want to watch it back.

Though, with the PS4 (and I'm not sure about the XBOX ONE) having the replay feature in them, it may become less necessary.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]