Discussion for Driver 2: Back on the Streets [EU] / Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back [US] (2000)
By Ss4gogeta0
Registration Days Posts Posts
Figured I would make a thread here, since the mod got its start here :specialdriver:

Basically, me and a friend have been converting the Driver 2 Chicago map to SA slowly but steadily.
we have a thread here aswell as a Discord

hopefully you guys enjoy the project :D
ASV, Vortex, Skylabh and 1 Others downloaded liked this
By Krishty
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
A dream coming true! (Y)

FYI, the car routes (I guess they are the most work-intensive thing to do?) are stored in the LEV as well, but I never got to fully exctract them (I didn’t know we’d get this far). Some day …
Ss4gogeta0 liked this
By Skylabh
Krishty wrote:A dream coming true! (Y)
FYI, the car routes (I guess they are the most work-intensive thing to do?) are stored in the LEV as well, …
Yes the traffic cars's path is probably the most annoying thing to do.
This is off topic but still related to Driver 2, but I am currently studying the one in Chicago (for the proto), unlike the pedestrians 's one which is less difficult to realize.
Krishty wrote: ..., but I never got to fully exctract them (I didn’t know we’d get this far). Some day …
Indeed it would have been very useful :specialdriver:

Anyway guys good job, I think the old GTA game engines are more suitable for an old game like Driver 2 (Y)
Ss4gogeta0 liked this
By Krishty
By the way, I was a little dissatisfied with the viewing distance. I know there’s „infinite viewing range“ hacks for SA, so why not have a deeper rendering? :)
Ss4gogeta0 liked this
By Vortex
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts LikeBB Avatar
Krishty wrote:By the way, I was a little dissatisfied with the viewing distance. I know there’s „infinite viewing range“ hacks for SA, so why not have a deeper rendering? :)
Yeah i did the same request on the discord :mrgreen:
By Ss4gogeta0
Krishty wrote:By the way, I was a little dissatisfied with the viewing distance. I know there’s „infinite viewing range“ hacks for SA, so why not have a deeper rendering? :)
will be taken care of down the line.

as for the Driver 2 map, we have gotten permission from James_UK to use his beamNG map (which is mostly complete) so we have been porting over our current work to it...

also we are working on 2 different versions, one with the Standard Driver 2 textures and one with Higher Definition textures (2048x2048) mostly to please the people who complain about the texture quality.

here is a few screenshots of some of the new textures (keep in mind there are still older textures that havnt been replaced yet)

anyway, time to drive on, people! :specialdriver:

Krishty liked this
By Ss4gogeta0
two more videos :specialdriver: Recently disabled backface culling so now most of the invisible polys in the previous videos have faces. no more seeing through walls and stuff. Also experimented with Map Icons and fixed up the vehicle spawns a bit
my main issue is that for some reason nothing spawns in the Wrigleyville area. :( I cannot for the life of me figure out why
Krishty, max.thunder liked this
By Ss4gogeta0
Here is an enb test I did earlier today. along with some menu stuff :specialdriver: The menu mods are only in my version until I am able to get permission for use (although he did post them on the forum so I am unsure if that counts as public use)
Also I changed a few textures around (they arent shown in video though) I will take screenshots later

Menu art by Xtreemo

http://drivermadness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4105
By Ss4gogeta0
So I released a beta version, but I wanted to fix a few glaring bugs some players came across before I release it here.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up incase you were worried I forgot about yall :specialdriver:

Krishty, Vortex liked this
By Ss4gogeta0
Sky itself is fine, uses GTA SA's Los Santos Timecycle on Clear Day setting (Until I get around to making a custom one or using Liberty City Stories TC)

The seams around things are from a dll I am using. It's not there normally.
By AidanCKY
Registration Days
This is really cool.

I would love to see Driver 2 recreated again in Unity or something sometime.
Would be great to keep the same old school graphics but improve things here and there; like improved textures, better water, better running performance.

Recently gone back to play Driver 2 and the slowdown that happens sometime is irritating
By Ss4gogeta0
if its the retail (physical copy) then there should be a number on the disc/spine of the case. a lot of the mods I do are compatable with Version 1.0 (original release).

if its steam version then unless you patch it, mods will have trouble working properly, as the steam version is incompatable with most mods.

this should help if you have the steam version: https://gtaforums.com/topic/753764-san- ... owngrader/
By Krishty
V 1.0 retail. I tried downgrading anyway; and it succeeded – but the downgrader crashed afterwards.

I placed your files in the downgraded folder, but I still get the same crash in DINPUT8.dll during loading :( When I delete DINPUT8.dll (it seems utterly outdatend and misplaced?), I get a crash at the same time in an unknown module.

Edit: It works now! I had to delete DINPUT8.dll and disable Data Execution Prevention for the downgraded build. It’s stunning! But stupid me always tries to run over small objects, wrecking my car :D Thank you so much!
Ss4gogeta0 liked this
By Krishty
Some weeks ago, I tried to fix some texture artifacts in Vegas, but I didn't have any luck so far.

I'll definitely continue the map tool (it needs OBJ support, doesn't it?), but it will take some time …
Vortex, Ss4gogeta0 liked this
By Ss4gogeta0
Krishty wrote:Some weeks ago, I tried to fix some texture artifacts in Vegas, but I didn't have any luck so far.

I'll definitely continue the map tool (it needs OBJ support, doesn't it?), but it will take some time …
I shall wait with bated breath :D
By Ss4gogeta0
Krishty wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 am Some weeks ago, I tried to fix some texture artifacts in Vegas, but I didn't have any luck so far.

any luck?
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]