Discussion for Driver 2: Back on the Streets [EU] / Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back [US] (2000)
By helegad
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Tanner would have been well-known to Vasquez at that point in the story, thus a disguise/surprise would have been necessary, otherwise the limo driver probably would have lead Tanner on a chase, and wrecked the limo in the process. If that happened, the heist would have been much harder to pull off. The element of surprise was everything. You have a window of about 1:45 after taking the limo to pick up the cash; it needs to be pulled off before anybody realizes what happened.
By driverretro
Registration Days Posts Posts
helegad wrote:Tanner would have been well-known to Vasquez at that point in the story, thus a disguise/surprise would have been necessary, otherwise the limo driver probably would have lead Tanner on a chase, and wrecked the limo in the process. If that happened, the heist would have been much harder to pull off. The element of surprise was everything. You have a window of about 1:45 after taking the limo to pick up the cash; it needs to be pulled off before anybody realizes what happened.
I was thinking of this possibility, but it's still a really weak scenario. I mean, considering what the limo is picking up at Vasquez' mansion, you'd think the sight of cops would scare the driver, too. Honestly, it would have made more sense to tail the limo, let it do the pickup and then intercept it. Even if leaves the mansion in a convoy, it wouldn't matter; a chase would have ensued either way.
By LoneWerewolf
Registration Days Posts Avatar
At the time of the interception, the limo didn't have anything with him, so it was just a limousine driving around Rio. In order to act non-suspiciously, the limo driver stopped for the police car.

As for the following-then-intercept idea, Caine gave Tanner the liberty to choose how to get the money. With that narrow time window, I guess that the only solution he found was to steal a cop car.
By helegad
driverretro wrote:
helegad wrote:Tanner would have been well-known to Vasquez at that point in the story, thus a disguise/surprise would have been necessary, otherwise the limo driver probably would have lead Tanner on a chase, and wrecked the limo in the process. If that happened, the heist would have been much harder to pull off. The element of surprise was everything. You have a window of about 1:45 after taking the limo to pick up the cash; it needs to be pulled off before anybody realizes what happened.
I was thinking of this possibility, but it's still a really weak scenario. I mean, considering what the limo is picking up at Vasquez' mansion, you'd think the sight of cops would scare the driver, too. Honestly, it would have made more sense to tail the limo, let it do the pickup and then intercept it. Even if leaves the mansion in a convoy, it wouldn't matter; a chase would have ensued either way.
The sight of cops would have made the driver nervous, sure, but he would have stopped for the cop to keep things kosher. If he runs, next minute he has another five on his tail and the pickup doesn't happen. If the limo driver fucked up the cash pickup, he would then probably have been on Vasquez's shitlist.
By driverretro
It's a good point that the limo driver had nothing when intercepted and would seem less suspicious if he stopped for the cop car; there's still the risk that the driver would panic thinking he's been had by the cops (ex, leak).

However, the time frame aspect has no real excuse. Given such a small time frame, why go through the trouble and extreme risk of stealing a cop car. It's just so impractical due to the kind of planning that would require and the kind of heat Tanner would have. I guess the devs just really wanted a cop car stealing mission in the game and they would settle for this as an excuse to put it.
By helegad
If Caine's Cash picked up right after Steal The Cop Car, even five minutes after, time to take a piss or whatever, Tanner has the cop car dumped within the next two minutes anyway. It's not like he needs to keep it hidden for days.
By driverretro
Right, but consider the process leading up to hijacking the limo in the first place. Tanner snatches the hot box, then takes it to (I guess) a safe house, the point from which the next mission commences. Given the time limit differences between both missions, more time was spent with the cop car hijacking than picking up the cash at the mansion. That's considerable time spent in a high-risk situation where if caught, could send the plan crashing down.

I forgot to mention that Tanner's face obviously wasn't known well enough by Vasquez men as it took them until Tanner sped off to realize something wasn't right. They wouldn't just put money into the limo without seeing the driver's face at least. The guy sees him, doesn't make the connection so they put the cash in. Then only does the guy realize when Tanner speeds off that he's not who they expected (which means that limo driver is also at least somewhat new); so they piece together that he must be Caine's wheelman. Looking back at this situation, at the risk of them knowing Tanner's face, he would have been better off tailing the limo and hijacking it after it made the pickup to begin with.

Tanner being well known or not, on a dark and stormy night, it would be hard for anyone to see clear enough the driver of any vehicle. Tanner could have sneaked up in front of the limo at that quiet stoplight (as seen in the cop car scenario) and hijacked it at gunpoint. The driver won't try to start fleeing by backing away when there's a gun aimed at his head. And because the exchange was really quick, the risk of getting caught is minimal here.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]