Discussion for Driver 2: Back on the Streets [EU] / Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back [US] (2000)
By driverretro
Registration Days Posts Posts
I already linked this image, and discussed the sale thread of that guy on assemblergames, last year. He's a legit seller and his stuff usually contains differences from the final release. Anyway, this disc is long sold; that's not the only prototype for Driver 2 in existence, though. There are other betas. Do a forum search of places like Assemblergames, Digitpress forums, Playstation Collecting forums and you'll find several more beta/review/preview/prototypes of Driver 2 and other Driver games.

EDIT: And when he says valued low, what it means is right in the thread. He hasn't tested it and confirmed anything about what it contains; so since the buyer takes the risk in buying that, he tries to lighten that up a bit by assigning a lower price tag. So it means that it was cheap to have bought from him. That doesn't mean, however, that it wouldn't contain anything interesting. There's just other titles for PS1, and other systems, that people would flock more to get, especially of betas.
By driverretro
He didn't mention the price because it was either for offer or he would PM the price to interested parties. Regardless of the case, he wasn't going to sell it for a lot of money. And he certainly wouldn't sell a review copy for as high as $200, especially not when it's missing the first disc which it likely requires to run. On average, review discs go between $30-50. I've seen many sell as low as $12.
By driverretro
RcaManX wrote:Looks to me to be a burned CD. If you notice, The middle where the hole is, It's not black. It's see through. Ps1 disc are not like this that i know of.
You have a lot to learn about pre-releases, in this case, review discs. This one's a legitimate pressed review disc; tens of thousands of these kinds of discs have been sold on Assembler, and other forums, for over 10 years now. The seller is a very well known member of those communities and has been in the gaming business longer than most. He's also one of the top video game collectors in the world, in terms of quantity (over 10 000).

Besides, if it were illegitimate, it would have been pointed out in that thread or by whoever bought it. Even then, an alleged review disc being a burned CD-R means absolutely nothing about its authenticity, as that's exactly how over a third of review discs are distributed. You can have a typical CD-R with sloppy scribble penned or marked on it that reads the game's title (and perhaps build/date), and it can still be legitimate. It is more legitimate than even the authentic-looking, professional-looking bootlegs with elegant pressing. Finally, pre-release discs don't at all need to meet the standards and characteristics of retail discs, you know; hence why this one may not resemble any PS1 discs.
By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
helegad wrote:I'd love to have a copy of this. I'll have to keep my eye out in case it surfaces again. Even if it isn't playable, there'd probably be a bunch of stuff in the files worth looking at.
Old topic.
By PostalDude
Wheels wrote:
helegad wrote:I'd love to have a copy of this. I'll have to keep my eye out in case it surfaces again. Even if it isn't playable, there'd probably be a bunch of stuff in the files worth looking at.
Old topic.
Hardly. Not to mention his post is a good contribution to the topic. It's not like he bumped it to say "cool :mrgreen:" or some sh*t like that.
By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Skylabh wrote:No problem with this bump. We already had some more biggest bumps than this one.
Alright then.
PostalDude wrote: Hardly. Not to mention his post is a good contribution to the topic. It's not like he bumped it to say "cool :mrgreen:" or some sh*t like that.
Good point. I should have looked at it again.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]