Discussion for Driver 2: Back on the Streets [EU] / Driver 2: The Wheelman is Back [US] (2000)
By Runo
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
- I know it was ProtoTypeDriver who found it and he gets ALL CREDIT! Really nice find!! Great job Prototype! I've been playing Driver 2 for 12 years and NEVER knew there was a hidden tunnel behind the wall in the Underground-Traffic-Tunnel!
This is sooo awesome & incredible, I just LOVE Secret and weird and beta & unused & changed stuff! always so cool :D

Again, thanks prototype. I just wanted to share this with you all:) I hope there is more stuff like this ... out there! ;)
By Clutch
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Wow, nice discovery. I suppose that in the final version this tunnel isn't included?
Btw, in beta instead Mini Cooper there was a big rocket.
By PrototypeDriver
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Friends Avatar
Runo
you're refeiring to me with "great job Prototype!"
i am PrototypeDriver here
and in youtube i am PrototypeDriverCrash
if not
i've maybe wronged
By cleone
0takumetalheadgamer wrote:Best kept secret in the history of Driver.
Will this work in the standard version or only the demo version?
By Runo
cleone wrote:
As far as I know .. only tested out in Beta, not sure if anyone has tried to go there in Standard :P You should try.
By cleone
Runo wrote:
cleone wrote:
As far as I know .. only tested out in Beta, not sure if anyone has tried to go there in Standard :P You should try.
I tested beta, it doesn't exist. What gameshark code did you use by the way for the demo? I can't find a working ghost car code for the demo.
By DrShemp
Registration Days Posts Avatar
That was a freaking cool discovery.

I tested it on the full version and this secret catacombs doens't exist. It's cool they have secret things in the beta version and not in the full LOL
By Fireboyd78
My theory is that at one point in time, they were going to have you drive the secret car out of the catacombs and into the tunnel, or there would be a button that would open a gate that would allow you to drive into the catacombs. Who knows!
By Runo
CarLuver69 wrote:My theory is that at one point in time, they were going to have you drive the secret car out of the catacombs and into the tunnel, or there would be a button that would open a gate that would allow you to drive into the catacombs. Who knows!
Most likely was this^ but was probably replaced by the lewer that pulls the mini up and there you drive out and go the longer way. :P hehe would have been nice to just drive into the tunnel. 8)
By driverretro
Registration Days Posts Posts
Hi guys.

The original video has now been removed and we can no longer see it. Has anybody else seen this catacombs? Would be able to take screenshots of it? It sounds very interesting :)
By helkensinken
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Friends Avatar
driverretro wrote:Hi guys.

The original video has now been removed and we can no longer see it. Has anybody else seen this catacombs? Would be able to take screenshots of it? It sounds very interesting :)
unfortunately will not give because nobody knows no more about it. I would like to send photos or videos if I knew.....
By 1974
Its all funny to think about how the game looked way before it hit the Store shelfs .

Such things like this :mrgreen: .

I wonder though, what purpose they had just to drive through or something else ?
By ASV
Did anyone ever find out what the missile compound was originally planed to be for? I am wondering because it is the most advanced building complex I have ever seen in Driver 2. This makes me feel like they scratched the best mission of Driver 2 here. :shock: Sorry to push an old thread, but I did not want to create a new one since this one is about the compound.

Here I add the video showing the compound:
[youtube]
[/youtube]
By Krishty
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
Okay, so …

I looked at the Driver 2 demo in my viewer, and indeed the compound looks pretty different:

You can clearly see the tunnel from the "official" tunnel to the compound. Neat. You can also see the "elevator" like things from the video.

But you cannot see the missile. Since the platform can be seen clearly in the final game files, I suspect that it either uses an unknown model format or it was part of a scripted sequence (I can not extract those models yet). So I suspect strongly that there was a sequence where the missile would launch. Then they cut the mission for some reason, and replaced the launching missile with a platform for the secret car in the very same place.

Other differences I just spotted:
  • There is no ferry in the demo (maybe ferries are more interesting than intercontinental ballistic missiles ;) )
  • The refinery has been shrinked by two thirds for the final game, and its buildings have been rearranged
  • There are fewer trees, grass bumps, and crates in the demo (either that or my extractor missed some objects)
  • some unreachable faces have been optimized away for the final game
By ASV
Can you play the career in the Driver 2 Demo and actually atempt to play the Mission or does the Beta not offer that?

Edit: Is there a possibility to download the demo/beta and try for myself or whoever wants?
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]