Vote for many "Driver Related" things in here :)

Which is in your opinion the best engine used in Driver series?

Driver - Driver 2
22%
Driv3r - Driver PL
44%
Driver SF
33%
By max.thunder
By 0takumetalhead
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
The very first engine, dispite D2 pushing the PS1 to it's limit's.
By Coyote
Sorry, but this is a stupid thread :P We can not vote what the "best engine" is, we don't even know what they're capable of. Well, the best one is probably still the one they built for Driver: San Francisco, because it's the most up to date and most advanced one. "Engine" doesn't stand for handling or on-foot physics, look at Stuntman - Driver 3 - DPL, the same engine was used but the physics were still different. We know nothing about what these engines can do. So I'm not exactly sure how we would judge this :P
By Coyote
LOL you can not refer an engine to en era. And then say my argument is invalid :roll: You just say "era", not "engine" in this case. Who knows, the current DSF engine might even use pieces of codes from the first Driver engine.
By RacingFreak
no it does not... the older engines do not use LUA.

If you looks closely the original Driver engine was used since 1997 to 2000 and in Driver 1 & Driver 2 respectively. It spans the first generation Playstation. The Stuntman engine was used since 2001 till 2010, with the main games being DRIV3R and Driver: Parallel Lines on it, spanning second generation Playstation with also being used in a few Wii only titles by Reflections. And the DSF Engine is simply another era. Spanning the third gen Playstation etc.

Conclusion: we can call them 3 eras of Driver titles. Driver - Driver 2, Driv3r - DPL and DSF.
By Coyote
*sigh* congratulations on noticing that. :roll: And next thing you're gonna tell me is that the GTA 3 era uses the engine that was first used in GTA 3?

My point was that the games do not necessarily show what the engines are capable of, maybe they only show 20% of that — we don't know it. That's why a question like "What's your favourite engine?" is impossible to answer for us, unless we were developers at Reflections. :) If you want to ask what is people's favourite Driver era, then you ask "What's your favourite era?", simply as that :P And if that's what max.thunder was asking, then I believe we've had that topic several times already.

I think much more that max.thunder was thinking of physics when he asked this question.

Oh and: Not all of DSF is coded in Lua…
By RacingFreak
TL; DR.

Don't you have something else to do? Calling poll threads 'stupid threads' and you OBVIOUSLY have no idea how a game engine does work. Coyote pls.
By Coyote
RacingFreak wrote:TL; DR.
Shows your level of intellect :P
RacingFreak wrote:Don't you have something else to do? Calling poll threads 'stupid threads' and you OBVIOUSLY have no idea how a game engine does work. Coyote pls.
Yeah obviously I don't! :lol: (and nope, I have some free time right now)
By Olanov
the current DSF engine might even use pieces of codes from the first Driver engine.
Um, Martin said it was build from a scratch.
By 0takumetalhead
RacingFreak wrote:The choose for best engine is also referred as to era/generation here, so your argument is invalid.
+1
Coyote wrote:Sorry, but this is a stupid thread :P We can not vote what the "best engine" is, we don't even know what they're capable of. Well, the best one is probably still the one they built for Driver: San Francisco, because it's the most up to date and most advanced one. "Engine" doesn't stand for handling or on-foot physics, look at Stuntman - Driver 3 - DPL, the same engine was used but the physics were still different. We know nothing about what these engines can do. So I'm not exactly sure how we would judge this :P
All a matter of preferences dude. Calling this stupid though is on the edge of acting like a child, please act like your age. Otherwise I kindly ask you to shut the F up.
Coyote wrote:Then it was. I said "might", you know? :P It was an example, not a fact.
Makes your argument invalid.
By Coyote
Olanov wrote:I know. I was just saying considering it's an official word from them.
Yep interesting fact, I didn't know that :)
0takumetalhead wrote:Makes your argument invalid.
How does it? You read a sentence, take it outside of the context and believe it's the answer to my own argument. Maybe first try to figure out which comment belongs to which question? Haha :D

Either way, I was just saying that we can not JUDGE what an engine is capable of doing. Yes alright, for each engine = an era. We know it. The POINT however stays we know nothing about these engines :P
At the same time, it's kind of an insult towards Reflections to say their old engine is better than their new engine, when we're not even allowed to judge that.
By 0takumetalhead
Coyote wrote:snip
"LOL you can not refer an engine to en era. And then say my argument is invalid :roll: You just say "era", not "engine" in this case. Who knows, the current DSF engine might even use pieces of codes from the first Driver engine."

And then saying you can't compare engines from their diffirent era's?

Every new engine (ps1/ps2/ps3) had something new to bring and don't forget that D1/D2's engine was pretty much groundbreaking considering thee limited hardware they had to work with back then...
Last edited by 0takumetalhead on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Fireboyd78
Well, that escalated quickly...

^ On-topic, Driver related. :P
By Coyote
Yes, the first sentence wasn't exactly correct. I mean yes, era = engine most of the time. What I'm saying is that you can not judge an engine but in fact be judging the era. Do you understand? You can judge an era but that doesn't necessarily concern the engine. You can say something about an engine, but again, this doesn't necessarily apply to the era.

Point is (again… *sigh*), that we know nothing about these engines, hence it will be hard to judge them.
0takumetalhead wrote: Every new engine (ps1/ps2/ps3) had something new to bring and don't forget that D1/D2's engine was pretty much groundbreaking considering thee limited hardware they had to work with back then...
What has that to do with? :D
CarLuver69 wrote:Well, that escalated quickly…
Yep, we'll try to make you less work this time however :P
By 0takumetalhead
Coyote wrote:Yes, the first sentence wasn't exactly correct. I mean yes, era = engine most of the time. What I'm saying is that you can not judge an engine but in fact be judging the era. Do you understand? You can judge an era but that doesn't necessarily concern the engine. You can say something about an engine, but again, this doesn't necessarily apply to the era.

Point is (again… *sigh*), that we know nothing about these engines, hence it will be hard to judge them.
0takumetalhead wrote: Every new engine (ps1/ps2/ps3) had something new to bring and don't forget that D1/D2's engine was pretty much groundbreaking considering thee limited hardware they had to work with back then...
The fact you acted pretty much like a child, this poll is based on preferences.
By Coyote
0takumetalhead wrote:
Coyote wrote:Yes, the first sentence wasn't exactly correct. I mean yes, era = engine most of the time. What I'm saying is that you can not judge an engine but in fact be judging the era. Do you understand? You can judge an era but that doesn't necessarily concern the engine. You can say something about an engine, but again, this doesn't necessarily apply to the era.

Based on preferences that we cannot judge because we don't know anything about it, yes…

But please. Tell me for what you have voted, and tell me why you have voted for it. Tell me all elements that make up this engine for you!
By 0takumetalhead
Coyote wrote:
0takumetalhead wrote:

Based on preferences that we cannot judge because we don't know anything about it, yes…

But please. Tell me for what you have voted, and tell me why you have voted for it. Tell me all elements that make up this engine for you!
Let me quote myself then:
0takumetalhead wrote: don't forget that D1/D2's engine was pretty much groundbreaking considering thee limited hardware they had to work with back then...
D1/D2 engine.
By Coyote
I know that, I read it already. Now tell me what this engine does, that makes it so great? :) I know that it was legendary for its time. But you're not going to tell me this is the only reason why it's the best Driver engine in your opinion, right? I mean there's something you must like about it, I'd like to know what that is :)
By Fireboyd78
I'm pretty sure the whole point of this thread wasn't how powerful each game engine was, but more of what you personally thought was a better game engine. Did you like the one from Driver 1/Driver 2? Maybe you thought it was the most advanced game engine of its time (and still is to this day)! Or, you liked the game engine that was used for DRIV3R/DPL/D76, a heavily modified game engine originating from Stuntman. Maybe that one is the best.

Point is, this thread isn't about technicalities. All of Reflections' game engines are of superp, top-notch quality. The reason we see DRIV3R as a failure is because they ran out of time to finish improving it. But had Reflections been given an extra year, maybe even half a year, DRIV3R's engine would've been much more polished up. It has the potential to be amazing.

This poll was intended to get feedback from what people think the best Driver game engine was. That's all it was ever about. We may never know just how powerful the DRIV3R engine is, but maybe it's more powerful than we think. It's all about personal opinions here.

As for myself, my own personal opinion, the DSF engine is by far the most powerful engine. It's one of the most flexible engines Reflections has developed ever. There is an insane amount of customization for everything in the game, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Reflections' answer to Rockstar's R.A.G.E.!
By Coyote
CarLuver69 wrote:I'm pretty sure the whole point of this thread wasn't how powerful each game engine was, but more of what you personally thought was a better game engine. Did you like the one from Driver 1/Driver 2? Maybe you thought it was the most advanced game engine of its time (and still is to this day)! Or, you liked the game engine that was used for DRIV3R/DPL/D76, a heavily modified game engine originating from Stuntman. Maybe that one is the best.

Point is, this thread isn't about technicalities. All of Reflections' game engines are of superp, top-notch quality. The reason we see DRIV3R as a failure is because they ran out of time to finish improving it. But had Reflections been given an extra year, maybe even half a year, DRIV3R's engine would've been much more polished up. It has the potential to be amazing.

This poll was intended to get feedback from what people think the best Driver game engine was. That's all it was ever about. We may never know just how powerful the DRIV3R engine is, but maybe it's more powerful than we think. It's all about personal opinions here.

As for myself, the DSF engine is by far the most powerful engine. It's one of the most flexible engines Reflections has developed ever. There is an insane amount of customization for everything in the game, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Reflections' answer to Rockstar's R.A.G.E.!

Yep I know all of that :) And that was my point, you just gave a perfect example: The Driver 3 engine might be so much more powerful than we believed. An engine is very hard to judge because you can't really "see" it. An engine doesn't equal handling or physics, which I believe where a big part of max.thunder's question. :)
By 0takumetalhead
The reason why I find it the best engine is stated in the quote. Dummy explanation then specially for you: It's one of the few games that pushed the PS1's hardware to it's limits without sacreficing gameplay or whatever with it (altough 2 could have been optimised more).
By max.thunder
Coyote wrote:Yep I know all of that :) And that was my point, you just gave a perfect example: The Driver 3 engine might be so much more powerful than we believed. An engine is very hard to judge because you can't really "see" it. An engine doesn't equal handling or physics, which I believe where a big part of max.thunder's question. :)
I'm not engine expert so the poll was about preferences, that's why i written "WHICH IS IN YOUR OPINION", i mean, there are huge differences between all those eras so i thought that people would consider stuff like level of damage, driving physics, game features like day/night cycle, modes of transport, traffic density and more.
By Coyote
max.thunder wrote:
Coyote wrote:Yep I know all of that :) And that was my point, you just gave a perfect example: The Driver 3 engine might be so much more powerful than we believed. An engine is very hard to judge because you can't really "see" it. An engine doesn't equal handling or physics, which I believe where a big part of max.thunder's question. :)
I'm not engine expert so the poll was about preferences, that's why i written "WHICH IS IN YOUR OPINION", i mean, there are huge differences between all those eras so i thought that people would consider stuff like level of damage, driving physics, game features like day/night cycle, modes of transport, traffic density and more.
Yep, I thought that this was what you were talking about. That's exactly what I said in my quote :D

But you see, that's the point. Theoretically I could open Unity and create two universes, both with vehicles with complete different handling, and complete different physics overall. But in the end, it's still the Unity game engine.
I believe we can't really see what makes up an engine, and we can't judge it either unless we would have worked with them all. That's why I said that it's kind of a stupid question :P But no offence to you max.thunder.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]