Discussion for Driver: San Francisco (2011)
By Private Tadpole
Registration Days Posts Avatar
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I don't see a 'support' section, so I thought I'd at least post in the section regarding the game I'm having trouble with.

I have had this slow motion issue for quite a while in Driver San Francisco. At first, the game runs at not exactly stellar perfomance, but it's still tolerable. But as I continue to play the game, it gets procedurally slower and slower to the point of extreme annoyance and near-unplayability.

At one hour, the game runs 2/3 of the initial speed.

At two hours, the game's performance is halved.

At five hours, it runs at 7 FPS.

At seven hours, it's pratically a slideshow.

At ten hours the game likely has frozen or crashed.

Anyone knows what's causing it? Or if there's a way to boost the game, or at least if there is a mod that optimizes the game? (I don't really care about the graphics unless they make the game look chopped up or like this) I really want to have a decent driving experience without lag, but I can't get a new computer at this point. :(
By VAIMAHDO
Most likely a video card/chip issue. Either not enough video memory or too slow to keep up with the game. Tell us what your computer's specifications are. If you have an AMD processor, they are known to have heat resistance issues, and over time the game may crash if you don't have a nice enough fan over it. But it's most likely a video card/chip related issue, because if it was the processor, it wouldn't look like this. By the way that's not running in "slow motion", Whatever is the bottleneck, is causing a framerate drop, and the game was not built to run at such a low framerate, so it feels like slow motion but really isn't
By Private Tadpole
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:Most likely a video card/chip issue. Either not enough video memory or too slow to keep up with the game. Tell us what your computer's specifications are. If you have an AMD processor, they are known to have heat resistance issues, and over time the game may crash if you don't have a nice enough fan over it. But it's most likely a video card/chip related issue, because if it was the processor, it wouldn't look like this. By the way that's not running in "slow motion", Whatever is the bottleneck, is causing a framerate drop, and the game was not built to run at such a low framerate, so it feels like slow motion but really isn't
This is not the best computer ever, I admit. Although, compared to my previous computer, it's way better. And it's temperatures are not healthy. :oops:
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit
CPU
AMD K140
40nm Technology
RAM
4,00GB DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-19)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 2B00 (P0)
Graphics
HP All in One (1360x768@60Hz)
384MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics (HP) 72 °C
Hard Drives
466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0 (SATA) 48 °C
Optical Drives
hp CDDVDW SN-208DB
By VAIMAHDO
Skylabh wrote:AMD processor and the game runs fine for me.
I know, I guess I didn't mention that withought a fan it overheats, but you need a decent fan for it. I have tested two different processors before. :3
By VAIMAHDO
and Private Tadpole, I need to know how many cores and how fast your processor is. Already your computer kills mine. :3
By Private Tadpole
Well, I haven't seen any clues about my comp having more than one core. Although I faintly remember seeing a sticker on the screen stating it is dual-core(said sticker is missing now, though). Not sure about how fast the processor is.

If it helps; Team Fortress 2 runs at perfect speeds at medium-high graphics. Kerbal Space Program runs at acceptable-great speeds unless I fly a craft with too many parts or I am in a planet with an atmosphere(Eve is a nightmare with it's thick as soup atmosphere). Minecraft lags horribly and is near-unplayable even at lowest possible graphics. Driver: San Francisco appears to be a procedural mix of all the three, so far.
By VAIMAHDO
Private Tadpole wrote:Well, I haven't seen any clues about my comp having more than one core. Although I faintly remember seeing a sticker on the screen stating it is dual-core(said sticker is missing now, though). Not sure about how fast the processor is.

If it helps; Team Fortress 2 runs at perfect speeds at medium-high graphics. Kerbal Space Program runs at acceptable-great speeds unless I fly a craft with too many parts or I am in a planet with an atmosphere(Eve is a nightmare with it's thick as soup atmosphere). Minecraft lags horribly and is near-unplayable even at lowest possible graphics. Driver: San Francisco appears to be a procedural mix of all the three, so far.
Click Start, right click computer, and click properties, and you will see it. 1.70GHZ+ Is pretty good/fast, here's mine: 2.80GHZ <3 but single core :P F*#$ Metafire, It just nearly crashed my tower because it has it's stock 504MB RAM in it. Anyway I can't show you now because metafire is annoyingly RAM dependent. :evil: Anyway so far it sounds like you don't have enough video memory. 512MB+ is good for games now adays, but if you lag THAT bad in Minecraft then your processor must be slow or single core.. By the way I will throw in the maximum 4GB of ram this tower supports when I have the money for it.
By VAIMAHDO
PostalDude wrote:stop with the double posts and the queermosexual ":3" smilies, seriously.
anyways OP, my conclusion is that your rig isn't good enough for DSF, especially if it can't even run TF2 maxed out.
Come on dude, don't start this again. I like peace better then fake arguments..
By Private Tadpole
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote: Click Start, right click computer, and click properties, and you will see it. 1.70GHZ+ Is pretty good/fast, here's mine: 2.80GHZ <3 but single core :P F*#$ Metafire, It just nearly crashed my tower because it has it's stock 504MB RAM in it. Anyway I can't show you now because metafire is annoyingly RAM dependent. :evil: Anyway so far it sounds like you don't have enough video memory. 512MB+ is good for games now adays, but if you lag THAT bad in Minecraft then your processor must be slow or single core.. By the way I will throw in the maximum 4GB of ram this tower supports when I have the money for it.
Ah. It is 1.48 GHz. No wonder it runs slowy. Still...why it procedurally slows down? It could at least constantly run at the initial speed.
PostalDude wrote:stop with the double posts and the queermosexual ":3" smilies, seriously.
anyways OP, my conclusion is that your rig isn't good enough for DSF, especially if it can't even run TF2 maxed out.
Actually I said that it runs TF2 maxed out at perfect speeds. In fact, TF2 and Spore are the games that run the smoothest in my computer, while Minecraft and Driver: San Francisco are the ones that run the slowest. (Meanwhile KSP is in the middle. :P)

Oh, and the reason people double post is that there is no multiquote option. We have to first quote an user, write the answer, copy it, go back, quote another user, write answer, paste previous quote-answer, and repeat until you've quoted everyone you intended to. In conclusion, multiquote is awesome.
By max.thunder
In my opinion you need a slightly better processor, because of that is probably isn't running.

Specs for PC
By VAIMAHDO
Performance dies over time on some processors that are being pushed over their limits, also heat builds up. For example, on an Intel Pentinum III, it gets hot very fast, while Pentinum 4 almost never gets warm. (Depending on how your system is setup, and what you doing with it)
By Private Tadpole
Aw...seems like an upgrade is inevitable.

But oh well, I can't complain much, at least my game runs better than in the laptop. I'm telling you, when I installed the game there, almost everything rendered completely black there, like in the picture in the OP. Not to mention it crashed when I drove on the sidewalk, making some missions extremely hard, if not impossible to complete.

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]