Discussion for Driver: San Francisco (2011)
So I did some thinking. Let's say if Reflections would've kept the darker approach to Driver, which was lastly around in Driv3r, how could the ending worked out in a different way?

So it's the same setting or something similar like to that showdown in DSF's ending cutscene where they play a daring game of chicken. They hit the gas and the distance between the two would quickly shorten. They both collide, leaving Jericho injured and Tanner dead. In a way, even the base game sort of gave us thoughts like "Damn, Tanner IS going to die" until we started getting to the more hopeful scenes.

Now, I could see that being a shocker to many Driver-series fans, since Tanner after all is quite an iconic and important part of this series. So, the scene with them colliding could be made even more dramatic and memorable
with something like, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan playing in the background throughout the whole scene. It could be a symbol of Tanner's dark and gritty background, and it could also symbolize the events happening in the game, Tanner having the near-death experience already and lying in a hospital bed in coma. Of course since Jericho is not quite in the state to leave the scene, police eventually show up and apprehend him or Jones lands an ass whooping on Jericho and takes him in. So in the end, Tanner would get his man and would get sort of a martyr-like status.

I could see this being possible since after all, he was on a reckless mission for 'revenge' that could easily cost him his life. They have a saying about revenge too: "The person who seeks revenge should dig two graves".
That would also explain the ending, how you're able to keep shift after story ends. I could see that being succes if they would've kept the dark approach from earlier Drivers.

Pardon me for any grammar/spelling errors, wrote this sorta in a hurry.

Here's the song mentioned earlier for a reference:
You are right. Even the Steam description says "But to take Jericho down, there can be no turning back, and he knows that this may very well be his last ride", even the first trailer showed both characters collide, and I can imagine the devs planning a death scene for Tanner but in the end they didn't... That lets me think "there is a reason for that... are they going for another Driver game in the future"?
TheEngiGuy wrote:You are right. Even the Steam description says "But to take Jericho down, there can be no turning back, and he knows that this may very well be his last ride", even the first trailer showed both characters collide, and I can imagine the devs planning a death scene for Tanner but in the end they didn't... That lets me think "there is a reason for that... are they going for another Driver game in the future"?
Probably that and they said they wanted a wider audience, and lowering the rating effectively gives them that.
Olanov wrote:
TheEngiGuy wrote:You are right. Even the Steam description says "But to take Jericho down, there can be no turning back, and he knows that this may very well be his last ride", even the first trailer showed both characters collide, and I can imagine the devs planning a death scene for Tanner but in the end they didn't... That lets me think "there is a reason for that... are they going for another Driver game in the future"?
Probably that and they said they wanted a wider audience, and lowering the rating effectively gives them that.
correct :!: :!: :!: :!:
But now that they have a wider audience, and many people know driver to be good, maybe now they should go back to the "dark" driver, maybe a tanners death would be good, like jericho escapes prison and tanner MUST take him down, in the end i think that would be a great ending to the series...tanner taking down his rival at the cost of his life
I agree with you both, i'm in favour of a darker approach returning, also i would like too see how the thing about stolen cars in Driv3r end, but i doubt we'll see that.
Olanov wrote:
Yes it’s rather this. The story with Jericho is definitely finished once for good, I doubt we’ll see him again.

The sequel to Driver: San Francisco will most likely be about Rufus. I mean, that’s basically what DSF was all about — about this one guy. Yet we don’t know why he was in prison, or who exactly he is.

At the end, he manages to escape and Tanner chases Jericho. Probably the next Driver will therefore be about finding Rufus and taking him down, with a real Undercover story coming back. Everything kind of hints at it! I told you, DSF is the beginning of something big… :)
By pete
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I like your idea of Tanner becoming a martyr, it would be sort of like Driv3r. The problem is that DSF doesn't take itself as seriously as previous Driver games did. I mean it is colourful, has a lot of jokes/comedic relief and a quite unrealistic (albeit cool) story. I think in the next Driver Rufus is going to be the new Solomon Caine.
The mood in Driver: San Francisco reminds me so much of the one in Inception for some reason. To those who haven’t watched it, I really recommend it. It kind of goes into the same direction with dreams and subconscious things. Absolutely love that movie!

However, the movie isn’t realistic. It IS science-fiction in this case. Whereas for DSF, it isn’t. So I’m not sure why people say it isn’t realistic… actually, it’s even the most realistic of all Driver games :P

I don’t think other Driver games are more “serious”… I just simply think that we were younger and we just thought how cool and dangerous all this stuff is, but if you’d start one of the old Driver games now you’d notice how ridiculous and embarrassing they are (like, story- or mood-wise). But I’ve said this zillion times already :P

I too think Rufus is going to be some sort of Cain or Castaldi — basically the guy at the very top that you’ll have to reach by working for various gangs.
Coyote wrote:The story with Jericho is definitely finished once for good, I doubt we’ll see him again.

The sequel to Driver: San Francisco will most likely be about Rufus. I mean, that’s basically what DSF was all about — about this one guy. Yet we don’t know why he was in prison, or who exactly he is.

At the end, he manages to escape and Tanner chases Jericho. Probably the next Driver will therefore be about finding Rufus and taking him down, with a real Undercover story coming back. Everything kind of hints at it! I told you, DSF is the beginning of something big… :)
Maybe Jericho is in coma or even again in jail, we don't know since we don't see him dead. In my opinion Tanner should go after Rufus, and if Jericho is alive, interrogate him and also chase the buyers of Driv3r cars.
max.thunder wrote:
Coyote wrote:The story with Jericho is definitely finished once for good, I doubt we’ll see him again.

Maybe Jericho is in coma or even again in jail, we don't know since we don't see him dead. In my opinion Tanner should go after Rufus, and if Jericho is alive, interrogate him and also chase the buyers of Driv3r cars.
Of course there’s lots of maybe’s that are open, but I think this here closed the story of Driver 3 (with Jericho) while opening a completely new story at the same time. I highly doubt we’ll ever see a story about the cars again, I mean this story is kind of finished! The people who bought them were Russians, I’m not sure if they caught them? Maybe they did, maybe not. :P

Actually, now that I think of it, they probably caught them, since between Driver 3 and SF, Jericho was already in prison. (basically before he went to prison again at the end of DSF). So he most likely told them already during his time in (or before) prison and they found them :P
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]