Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)

What's your worst city in D1?

Miami
4%
San Francisco
12%
Los Angeles
62%
New York
22%
By Miller
Same here, but only because my game does not allow me to select daytime in Take a Ride mode. If it had to be one or the other, I am glad I am able to drive at night, though.
By Miller
The simple interface of the mission configuration tool seems easy enough for me to use. I do not really recall having looked at that part before. I like being able to change the time of day and weather conditions. That is excellent. Now I can drive through Los Angeles during the daytime in Take a Ride mode, despite the game preventing me from selecting that option.

I guess that means I no longer have a least favorite city in Driver. And I also guess that was a pretty silly reason to have one in the first place.
By Coyote
hmmm LA, because there was only a night mode
By Mario
Registration Days Posts Avatar
changin LA to day would be hard because all of the textures are made for night mode only (like buildings)
By PostalDude
LA is definitely the worst city, it has no life in it IMO. WhoTH voted NY? It's the best city IMO.
Last edited by PostalDude on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cleone
I really didn't like any of the cities. They didn't really please me. All roads were sharp turns. There were no soft or curved turns. My least favorite was defiantly New York. LA was actually pretty cool because I actually know some fun glitches(Sinking in water anyone? LOL). LA was my second least favorite city.
By J.S.
Registration Days
LA was retarded... it lacked any sort of true representation... no Compton, Inglewood, Carson; nor any attempt at recreating a Burbank/Mulholland type are either... not only that, the one neighborhood they did 'recreate' is horribly difficult to get out of when you have cops on your tail...
By Sedans
I voted L.A.

No daytime, even if they had Dawn that would be cool.

L.A. Had one good glitch to me and that was getting out of the map from that huge freeway or however you were able to do it.. that and the cars that drove thru the parking garages walls. The streets were stupid and I just hate it was stupid. Miami was the best I liked N.Y. too. I didn't really like SF either. SF survival mode on PS1 was very fun tho!
By Lost Account #3377
I hate san francisco I like miami and LA
By 0takumetalhead
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Like the majority, i hate LA. Way to small and most neighbourhoods weren't even there.
By The Chevrolet Nova
Registration Days Avatar
New York. I felt it was empty and dull compared to the other cities. It's skybox was also a copy of Los Angeles's skybox.
By D3M0NW0LF
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I'm gonna go ahead and say LA. To be honest, I even replaced that level with the dessert training level... XD
By Olanov
Derp, seems like I have once voted for San Francisco, don't remember why anymore.
I sort of dislike L.A. the most out of them all.
By cleone
LA is my least favorite. I don't understand why I said NY. I used to love NY.
By k9Underdogg
I enjoyed driving in LA a little since the lights at night looked cool but it didn't have any landmarks except LAX and that lame, tiny view of the Hollywood sign, the buildings looked repetitive (what's GRIM anyway?), and it didn't let you choose daytime, so I voted LA (talking about the PC version of course). Also, in my old computer, some traffic textures in LA were glitchy and it looked awful.
I was kind of disapointed with the short draw distance in NY too but no big deal :P
By Coyote
Yeah I think LA is the most disliked out. I love Miami and San Francisco because they remind me of when I first got the game. Miami is probably my favourite. LA and NY was already later when I played the game a lot so it became "normal" you know ;)

BTW, where is that Hollywood sign? I've been searching it already when I was a kid, and it wasn't where it should be, so I supposed it wasn't there. I also searched a few months ago when I got the game on my iPhone, and it wasn't there either? :?
By k9Underdogg
Oh I think it was kind of hidden, like you could only see it from a spot in a corner, where there was a gap between buildings. If I find it, I'll post a screen of the map location :P
Yeah, they didn't really bother putting real locations where they "should" be :/ I think Times Square in NY was too up north but I might be wrong.
I liked Miami too, it was all sunny and fun to drive when I got the game :D and San Francisco was cool too because it was quite different than LA, I played A LOT of "take a ride" on those when I was a kid and had trouble passing the car park test xD
Btw, how did you guys manage to have LA in daytime? :P the only way I could is by setting time to "dawn" or "dusk" (typing "day" or removing "night" didn't work), pardon my n00bishness XD
EDIT: found the hollywood sign, I'll post the pic in a sec.
EDIT: here ( I hope I marked the X right coz the dot didn't come out in the screenshot XD)
The car is the Driver 2 Challenger retexture for the Superfly by 0takumetalheadgamer :specialdriver: AWESOME
By Coyote
Someone on Driver-Dimension posted it once, and I saw a video that explains it on Youtube too :) It explains it even for the PS1 version. The thing is it looks like night, because all textures are dark. They have always the "lights turned on", that's why LA looks better at night then other cities (and the other cities better at day than LA, because it's easier to make a bright texture dark than it is to make a dark texture bright!). You can look for the tutorial on Youtube :)

And I'm impressed, I swear I've been there already and the sign was never there! Let me check it.

I confirm, no Hollywood sign here:

Probably they got licensing issues. But I swear I couldn't see it in the PS1 version either. Maybe they didn't have it either back then.
By k9Underdogg
haha thanks!! I'll look that up, since I still kinda like what LA looks like at dawn, with the lights still on and all. And btw you have to get REALLY close to get the sign to pop into view, even with draw distance set to max, that kinda sucks. Well I guess they still get points for making it a nice view with the parked car, the lights, the palm trees and those umbrella tables XD

EDIT: Whoa! :( so it's not on PS1 or iphone version (well, the iphone version is pretty much based on the PS1 version right?). That sucks, I wonder why they didn't put it too, since that spot looks suspiciously empty. What car is that btw?
By Coyote
Just started the game again and went closer to the wall (sticked to the wall basically), and it still didn't appear :( They definitely took it out for this version.
No the iPhone version is based on the PC / mac version! Do you mean the car that I have? This is the default LA car, the Pontiac LeMans I think?

About PS1 again I'm not sure, maybe I just simply didn't get close enough like you say.
By k9Underdogg
Oh you are right it's the Pontiac Lemans XD it looked a little different and I was thinking if it was a different Skylark or Nova :P silly me. At least they put rearview mirrors in it.
I read a thread here and I guess the only way to play in daytime in LA is in dawn mode :P no actual "day" mode which is silly considering dawn just goes from night to "day"...
Last edited by k9Underdogg on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Coyote
I read something that you can do it with day mode but it would crash, I'm not sure. I want to try it out myself one day :)

About the car: It also has transparent windows and you can see the interior, and even Tanner :D
By k9Underdogg
Yeah, the transparent windows look pretty neat! :D I only played the demo of the iphone/ipod version. I liked how the music player was sort of like a radio, kind of like GTA and the music was cool. My PC version didn't have music in the CD, idk why because it's a legal original copy.
By Runo
Ah, I love L.A in the PS1 version, it was so awesome, I always dreamed on playing that level, i liked it even though it only had night. :p it didn't matter to me at all. XD

I voted New York as my least fav as I couldn't choose miami and frisco, (childhood cities brah!) and L.A has my favorite car, so no way I would be choosing LA <3
By JackRourke343
Miami. Nothing special beside the alleys and Bridges.

I was about choosing L.A, because the map-size. So small
By Fab2cent
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I really liked the look of LA, but miami was the best. I voted new york due to me not liking the car look haha
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]